1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mozilla Strikes again!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hey Russ, if you don't mind me asking, can you quote yourself a little less often? I typically see several posts from you in the same page, or even adjacent which are full of quotes with incorrect syntax, and I find myself spending ages trying to work out if they're different from the post above (they sometimes aren't). If you wouldn't mind, perhaps just edit the posts and inform people further down if you've made an edit you think they might miss. it'd clean up threads for one, and make your posts a bit easier to read for another.

Cheers

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

2nd that or i might start deleting.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I quite agree, OK! I've been having all sorts of problems with FireFox. I said that a few weeks ago! If you remember I used to copy and paste and then reply, and got razzed for that! Well I'm going back to it! The problem is Mozilla. I don't want to upgrade and this their way of sticking it to me. Every night about midnight they upgrade my Firefox, and then several things I use no longer work, like my email. If I post something it doesn't show on the thread, so I go back and do it again, and I get multiple quotes as well as multiple posts. So far when they force their upgrades on me, by giving me no choice, I have to go back to the previous version which works fine for a few hours and then starts messing up. Emails that are undeliverable as addressed, can't download YouTube videos. I will delete the offending posts on this page, but it's not my error, so if you can figure out a way for me to tell Mozilla to get stuffed, I would really appreciate it!

Russ

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Read my answer to sammorris! How do you completely delete a post? Is there a way for me to do it?

Russ

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The best way I can think of is to use another browser like Chrome. It's hardly stable, but unlike Firefox, it's predictable. There are certain things I know don't work, but none that come out of the blue.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Firefox has been loads better than Internet explorer for me. Though I.E. 8 works fairly well on Windows 7. I dont know how it performs on XP anymore. I tried the beta a while back, and it was REALLY BAD!!! Infact it effected Dvd shrinks capabilities LOL!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

russ, mods & admin can delete posts or hid threads. i deleted the 2nd post of the 3. decide which 1 of the other 2 you want deleted then i will. i use ie6 with no problems.

9. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

or you can delete you're post down to one letter and uncheck the sig box Russ, that should work also, like this below. vvvv

10. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

o

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I tried Chrome! It sucks! Opera and Safari as well as Chrome aren't very intuitive. A browser is supposed to be simple, but these fools try and load up your browser with all of your personal stuff so you can share your pictures, videos other personal stuff with your friends and have everything right at your fingertips. Apparently they are trying to drag me into the soap opera environment so many people live today! I don't do the Social bit on the Internet!

Firefox has made the History files unusable! There's no more today, yesterday and 3 days ago. It's just all one big mess. You can't find a damn thing! And for the 1149th time I don't want the Mother Frogging Yahoo Toolbar! I'm about ready to dust off the old Netscape 7 and try it out.

I don't Stutter, Twitter or Bing. I don't belong to MySpace, Facebook or any other social network! I only belong to YouTube because then I can remind stupid people, just how stupid they really are, and tell real unfeeling jerks to go burn one, and step in front of a bus! I have no patience with people who say cruel things about talented young children, Like the guy who said that Britains Got Talent's Hollie Steele, had no Talent! Or the one that said that she wasn't really singing because her lips weren't quite in sync on the video! It's an FLV for God's sake! Most look like they were shot with a $10 webcam!

Oh, and for the record, Diversity won, and they deserved it! Terrific show by them!

Russ

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Microsoft needs to start getting stricter about what you do and how you do it when it comes to Browsers and things like that instead of allowing all the bugs, because even with C++, these morons still manage to screw things up for everybody. A good way would be to not allow their software on Windows or IE until it's proven not to cause difficulties for other people and their programs. But hey, then they would have to give a s**t! It ain't gonna happen either. They've discovered that the most money spent (Mommy and Daddy's money) is by 11 to 15 year olds, and this is what the little brain dead monsters want, and the developers want their money, so..............!

Russ

14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

im liking the firefox 3.5 so far.

you can drag tabs into new windows, and windows into tabs. its a hell of a lot faster aswell. and its got a private browser ;) :p lol

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

On the contrary, Chrome is if anything too simple. It hides all the little options from view, leaving a clean, simple interface. it was odd to start with, but within a day or two i got used to it. Now I prefer it over the others. No useless toolbars, no piles of menus, the address bar is integrated with google search - type it, press enter and it googles!
    Agreed on LBT, I didn't watch very much of it, but Diversity were one of the (precious few) genuinely talented acts imo. I think I probably would have voted Flawless instead though :p

Also, did you actually say Microsoft should stop allowing certain developers to make software for their OSes? If they could, they would. DO NOT WANT! lol

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

oooooold. That's been with chrome since the beginning, and is very handy.

I mainly broke away from Firefox 3 because of how ridiculously unstable it was. Chrome's not great, but it's better. I swear I never remember having any grief like this back when firefox first came out.

Here's something interesting - look what I found in the view options in my XP install! I see this in every folder now if I go to the 'add extra sort options' list:

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/3314/wats.jpg

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Yes, Diversity was a refreshing sight! I haven't seen anything like that since the 1956 movie, "The King and I" where the people put on a play based on "Uncle Tom's cabin" for their English guests! Quite amazing, if you ask me!

I'm not looking for Microsoft to stop allowing developers to make software for their OS. What I'm asking for is for Microsoft to force some sort of standard. Every damn time Mozilla fixes one problem with an update, they seem to create additional problems elsewhere! It's gotten a bit like Gaming was back in the 90s where everyone used undocumented memory to improve their games at the expense of reliability, and problems for others. A browser should not dictate to the operating system, but rather it should be the other way around. We'll continue to have these problems until MS puts it foot down and insists on conformity to the rules of the OS! You can't stop developers, but you can advise people against using a certain product that causes problems for other programs! It's just not reasonable for an older version of Firefox to do the job, where the latest version won't, thanks to it's turning off the Real Player Plug In for Firefox! Mozilla blocks it completely so you can't turn it on! It's there, but Mozilla won't allow you to use it! The Real Player Plug In has been a major issue for quite a while now. I don't know why, but I get this feeling that Mozilla wants money from Real Player, for the Privilege!

Russ

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I tend not to see much with Realplayer in it these days because it's been terrible since the very start, but the one thing I always have grief with is flash. It never installs to the right browser, or sometimes to any browser, it's one of the few plugins that won't even install if any browser or multimedia app is still open.

19. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

You guys should try getting Flash /Realplayer etc etc to run in Linux, it's not always easy but doable.
    As to browsers, i don't see the problem :) ..if you don't like one try another. I usually swear by Opera but have recently gone back to Firefox for a while. Opera tended to be memory hungry on two of my machines.
    Firefox always crashes on the one machine, has for a very long time. Uninstalling is no good as it's peppered thru the registry. Normally i just barge thru the registry deleting all references to a program (have always done this with no ill effects, since we first had registries) but this wouldn't work, so i just stuck to Opera on that machine.
    On linux machines i use mainly Opera, but over the years have used loads of different browsers under linux, never had Flash or other problems that couldn't be solved with a few tweaks. At worst you'd have linux dependancy problems that would wreck your install, but nothing that a rebuild/restore of settings wouldn't solve.

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

not to change the topic here, but , i got a question or 3.
    a friend i work with has a DELL computer. it is about 9 years old. he went to start it up the other day and he kept getting a "rundll error" thats a missing file isnt it? basicaly for windows??
    i am thinking that. tell me if im wrong. i also thought his hdd might be going south on him i have it in my system now. just got done running a chck disc on it.chose the fix and repair on it as well. it came back ok no errors????at least it didnt show any. im defragging it now. it is highly fragmented. it is only a 60gb hdd. with about half space used. he only use's it for email and internet gameing. its a old P4. not sure of the size. (speaking of that. Russ i did come up with a 1.8ghz p4 at work)

now with these being a dell system if he was to get a new hdd and put in it do i need the dell OS disc? he has about 5 disc for it but none say anythign about a OS. has alot of driver stuff on it. which i know i would need. can i install a OS o it and then use all those driver disc???

thanks for any info

heres the log from the defrag.

Volume (F:)
    Volume size = 55.84 GB
    Cluster size = 4 KB
    Used space = 26.78 GB
    Free space = 29.06 GB
    Percent free space = 52 %

Volume fragmentation
    Total fragmentation = 8 %
    File fragmentation = 17 %
    Free space fragmentation = 0 %

File fragmentation
    Total files = 92,268
    Average file size = 692 KB
    Total fragmented files = 4
    Total excess fragments = 3,669
    Average fragments per file = 1.03

Pagefile fragmentation
    Pagefile size = 0 bytes
    Total fragments = 0

Folder fragmentation
    Total folders = 9,580
    Fragmented folders = 1
    Excess folder fragments = 0

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
    Total MFT size = 136 MB
    MFT record count = 102,519
    Percent MFT in use = 73 %
    Total MFT fragments = 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
    2 768 MB \pagefile.sys
    3,664 1.91 GB \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\UserProfilesAOL\All Users\antiSpyware\quarantine\Quarantine\20050924133805.zip
    5 1.91 GB \Documents and Settings\Richard Lester\Local Settings\Application Data\AOL\UserProfilesTmp\All Users\antiSpyware\quarantine\Quarantine\20050924133805.zip

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.