1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Wow, interesting stuff.

Oh oh, Russy got hollered at, nah nah nah nah, kinda makes you feel like back in school huh Russ lol.

Other than that, I think I have a problem, I know I could start a new thread to ask cause this is not about building PC's, but I really would not trust anybody besides the guys here, if I can't find a solution here than if a restore doesn't work than this damn thing is going out the window.

It's not the PC I built that thing runs like a Swiss watch, it's the one I use my HP Pavilion Media Center m7330n, this has happened first a couple of months ago than stopped, 3 days ago it started again but worse this time, when I turn the PC on it does its thing windows comes up trying to load with the horizontal bar loading than it stops dead, than with a manual shut down and try to re-start the black screen comes up saying there was a problem do I want to regular start on the last good configuration or something to that order, I tried both and it went on this morning over and over, after 9 manual shut downs and the black screen thing it finally loaded, sometime I have done it after a couple or several never this much.

I need advise if you guys think it might be the HD ready to take a crap or maybe other issues, I know it can be a thousand things if it's not a HD problem but maybe this might sound familiar to someone, I have tried everything I know, cleaning up with ccleaner, defragging checking my anti spyware program and anti virus nothing, and I haven't downloaded anything lately.

I would hate like hell to do a complete restore and of course not knowing if that would help or not, I have backed up everything just in case that's important, my big problem in backing up is my music, I use WMP I have a lot of saved albums there playlists etc. because I don't understand WMP that well, for some reason when I rip my music half of it auto stores in my documents under my music automatically which I love, and half doesn't, last time I did a restore I spent days re-ripping a lot of my music cause I never notices that half was not saved in my music folder, I can't figure out how to send my albums over when it doesn't do automatically, yes I tried googling it and can't find an answer, if it wasn't for that I wouldn't mind the restore so much. Enough of my bitching.

Anyway, any ideas on my starting problem, please and thank you.

Oh, before I go, the wife just approched me, I know this will sound goofy, but she said about 4.30 this morning she was up, she noticed my monitor lid up, a blue screen she said it had some small writing on it than shut off, now I turned my PC off last night before I went to bed, I have never heard of such a thing, she has been drinking we had friends over last night, she wasn't smashed but had a nice buzz, I said she must have been seeing things, I got wacked upside my head, she said she saw it, I don't know about all that, if she smoked something and she did imagine it I want some of that.

2. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

I wonder if the rundll file got corrupted, if so, replace it with one from your system providing you are on the same release.

If not you can backup his disk with Seagate's Disc Wizard, http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=d9fd4a3cdde5c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD
    and then restore it to a new HDD with the same software

It is free since you have a Seagate drive on your existing system.

However, you may still have the problem if that file is corrupt.

Best of luck

@Fredbun,

I had a similar problem, although it was with a secondary disk (a three month old WD HDD), not the OS disk, however it would never boot up due to some sort of failure with this disk, but no error message. I finally disconnected all disks except the OS disk, and it booted right up. RMA'd the WD.

3. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I don't think thats the problem in my case, not in the way you explained anayway, yes it might be a HD problem but not that, it's the original HD that came with this PC, it's WD 250, and do not know if it is the HD thats causing the problem, hell something might be corrupt or a software issue don't know.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

fred, is the drive ide or sata because if sata then problem might be the motherboard sata controller? ran into that problem with a customer doing the same thing what you are doing. i replaced the sata cable to the hd, replaced his hd with another 1, replaced ram & power supply & even did a fresh install of windows. the clue that it was the motherboard sata controller was when doing a reboot, message came up saying c:drive not found tho after another reboot the drive was found. cloned his sata hd onto an ide hd & appears to be problem resolved. customer hasn't called back since then.

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks for that valuable info DDP. I just stored that in the old brain LOL! Seriously, THANK YOU!

6. FredBun

FredBun Active member

ddp, it's a sata, very similar to this if not exact
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822144417

The pc is almost 5 years old meaning so is the HD, if it is this cable problem, replacing a HD or ram, those things I think I can do, cloning is something thats out of my league lol.

Or lets say it might be a ram, I know a lot of you guys carry spare parts cause you guys work on them often I don't, I guess I would have to order one and do a one by one exchange I guess and see if there was a deference I guess, I know this could turn into a nightmare, never the less I still appreciate the comebacks, you never know I might get lucky, I never really took this thing apart before, because it pretty tight inside, it has that internal slot for a external HD specially made for this PC, hardly any room to wotk inside this damn thing, I guess I could try replacing a cable I do think I might have a sata cable laying around from my build I did several months ago.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Sata cables. Heh heh. When Sata first eeked its way into existence, their cables were spendy, and didn't come with most devices. You had to buy them separate. Now I probably couldn't give them away LOL! I have too many I recently discovered. I think I have probably 8 extras!

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

how would i do that? sorry not much a OS person..lol i have XP PRO he has XP home. but i do have on my HP system XP home i could copy that to a cd and put it on my hdd and copy it???

9. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Lol, I'm sure you do, when you work on things you accumulate a lot I know worked in construction for 35 years I have things in the garage up the wazoo, and my actual HD info is WDC WD2500JS-60MB1, of course they don't make that one anymore but I think similar to the one I gave a link to.

I have accumulated some things with my build screws etc. and still think I have an extra sata cable, as time passes and I get some extra bucks I would love to go to the races in builds, doing that first one was so fascinating and frustrating but thats what made it a rush.

Whatever it is I hope it minor, my bucks are low right now so even if I can't find a solution I can't hire anybody to fix it yet anyway, I can always use the one I built but the kids always jump on my case when I mess with it, I'm the one that spent the money and went thru all the work you would think I got a little more respect lol, hey they love it and thats what counts for me. I know this HP is slower than my build but I kinda got attached to it, I would hate to throw it out the window.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I hate Real Player, but it's necessary if you want to download YouTube videos. I've yet to find anything else that works as well. That's why I signed up for YouTube, because my friend's wife told me that I would be able to download the videos from it! Not! All it does is send the URL if you send it to another email address. If there's actually a way to save the video, it's sure well hidden! LOL!! Some times I use SoundTap to just record the audio. The problem with it is there is no way to control the volume to minimize distortion if the audio is overloaded, so sometimes the sound is worse than the original.

The real pain is that everyday I have to re-install FireFox 2.0.0.10 because it upgrades every night to 2.0.0.20, so My email won't work and it turns off the Real Player Plug-in. it only takes a minute, so it's not so bad. I can open Hotmail, but I can't access the emails. It's a PITA!

Russ

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Fred,
    Boot the machine and keep pressing F8 after the post screen. I usually start tap dancing all over the F8 button right after the Boot From CD screen appears. Open windows in Safe Mode. It will take much longer to load, so be patient! once it's up and running go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools and open system restore. Try the next date back (in darker text) and let it restore the system to that date. Usually this cures the problem!

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Will do Russ, just hope the next time I can get past the window with the bar code, when that gets stuck you really can't do anything but keep shutting it off manually, but I will surley give it a shot, man if it would only be that easy.

13. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I still would like an opinion from all you guys, do you think this is a hardrive issue ready to take a crap, in other words if this was happening to you would you guys order a HD quick.

14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I use http://www.keepvid.com to save youtube videos, this worked even when youtube started blocking access to masses of content..

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL creaky. I sent russ a PM about that site. VERY awesome site

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Fred,
    It's usually caused by some Malware thing as near as I can figure. If you see the regular windows screen with the bar, do it again as you missed it! That's why I keep hitting the F8 key until the screen comes up for choosing safe mode!

Russ

17. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

The simplest methods are sometimes the best, and i like simple :)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  18. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Check your pm's...the Solution is easy to do i've done it many,many times b4 in the Dell world of computers and Hp world also give me a holla...i can help you thru

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2009
  19. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

@FredBun,

Sorry, I haven't been following your episode lately, and I should have mentioned earlier that if you have an XP install CD, no matter what version it is, IIRC, boot from it and select "R" (repair) when it asks you what you want to do. Ultimately, select the "C" for console, and then type in CHDSK C: /F --->FIX ERRORS ON DISK.

Now I might have the sequence incorrect, for it has been a long time since I used it.

Best of luck

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I use something even simpler still, a bookmark.

Standard Def as FLV
    javascript:window.location.href = 'http://youtube.com/get_video?video_id=' + swfArgs['video_id'] + "&l=" + swfArgs['l'] + "&sk=" + swfArgs['sk'] + '&t=' + swfArgs['t'];

High Quality as MP4
    javascript:window.location.href = 'http://youtube.com/get_video?video_id=' + swfArgs['video_id'] + "&fmt=18" + "&l=" + swfArgs['l'] + "&sk=" + swfArgs['sk'] + '&fmt_map' + swfArgs['fmt_map'] + '&t=' + swfArgs['t'];

High Definition as MP4
    javascript:window.location.href = 'http://youtube.com/get_video?video_id=' + swfArgs['video_id'] + "&fmt=22" + "&l=" + swfArgs['l'] + "&sk=" + swfArgs['sk'] + '&fmt_map' + swfArgs['fmt_map'] + '&t=' + swfArgs['t'];

This works whenever youtube works. No third party site, no software, no nothing :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.