1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

fred, in my case, replacing the drive & data cable with another did not resolve the issue til i changed the sata drive with an ide drive. try it if have a spare ide drive handy & don't have to clone it if only used a few days to see if problem disappears or not.

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

russ you can turn off updates, go to tools>options>advance>update and turn of the update.

try installing firefox 3.5 and see if that helps you.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Shaff,
    I tried that! You can't turn them off. All you can do is have it ask you if you want the update. You get to say no 3 times and then it does it anyway.

I already tried 3.5! It still has problems with Hotmail, although not all the time and it still won't let me download YouTube! I have some alternatives for that thanks to Oman7 and DDP!

Thanks though!

Russ

4. FredBun

FredBun Active member

you got it ddp, I did what russ suggested and if that doesnt work I will try yours, keeping my fingers crossed. thanks.

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Holy WOW!!! Now im REALLY loving this phenom II! Its making fairly light work of a X264 conversion. 85 minute movie 720p X264 ---> Dvd compliance in under 30 minutes. Nero 9 is utilizing 80% of the CPU too :D

OMG! just over 20 Minutes LOL!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  6. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

new paint job done today of the inside (smoke gray)with clear coat just alittle sample shots not done yet;)

before(click on pic to enlarge)
    [​IMG]

After(click on pic to enlarge)
    [​IMG]

layed down (click on pics to enlarge)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

posted more after finished product is done and back together with new parts;)

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, the Maximus II is finally at the end of its term. Within minutes, sometimes seconds of opening a game now, the whole system will freeze (and freeze entirely, no errors, no BSODs, no indication of any graphics or CPU errors). Another Asus board bites the dust before the year mark. I gave them a fourth chance, but as far as I'm concerned, that's my lot. Just disproves the theory that you do actually get decent stuff from them if you're prepared to pay for it.

8. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

no problems with my ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA Sam ,sorry about the bad luck man

9. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

10. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Wow, really expensive board, after reading the reviews which were problamatic you would think a board with that kind of price would be without them.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Time or not, I can barely afford to replace this board on advance instead of waiting for the RMA, let alone buy a more expensive i7 board along with the CPU, memory and cooler extension required. In any case, I certainly wouldn't want to spend more than one of my graphics cards is worth on a board that will only see me back here in 9 months or less.

The board I'd probably look at if I did go i7 would be a Biostar Tpower. I would prefer a Gigabyte but their utter inability to run both PCIe 16x slots at once with socket 775 is very unnerving. By far the cheapest X48 board I can get at the moment is another Gigabyte, at ebuyer the X48-DS4 is cheaper than most P45s. Third time lucky perhaps?

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Knock on wood buddy LOL!

13. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

P5K-E still going strong after over 1 year, with a 100% OC.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

P35C-DS3R at 21 months, X38-DS4 at 15 months, EP31-DS3L at 12 months, another P31-DS3L at 18 months, all still working. The Southbridge on the X38 is getting a little dodgy, but still works alright.
    I've decided to get an X48-DS4, as they're cheap, and have better cooling than the DS5 I had which failed at dual graphics. Hopefully the combination of bigger heatsink, and being in the HAF rather than the NZXT will help enough. If it needs a bit more airflow, I can always put high speed fans on the side to replace the realsilents.

15. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

I can't believe that came out your mouth that you would choose a Biostar Board first as your choice...I thought.I was the only Biostar Rep in here sense the Good Luck I have had with I45 board and the matchup with the EO 8400 combo done me right on the Oc factor...I'm Sorry Sam that they did'nt make any X48 boards maybe that point needs to be addressed to Biostar Corp but you know how it is we buy are boards for are own specific needs on what we wanna use them for...I bought the I45 just to see the if the Oc'ing myth was true to my own eye's and way of getting it there not much help from here Cause the only 1 that had 1 but other I45 users and sites gave me what..I needed and help me to reach 4.5ghz on air at 27c idle and 52c stressed...So if later on down the line you decide to get on the Biostar Bus...I'll be glad to have you onboard my friend when..
    i decide to leave 775 pin and jump to 1366 pin there's (only) 1..I will use and it's below

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138135

Good Luck Sam:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2009
  16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Bigwill,

Might as well add my two cents worth on the X58 Motherboards. If I ever build one, at least it will be in grand style! LOL!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128362

I'm not so sure I wouldn't go this direction either!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128361

I particularly like the cooling system! It includes a heatsink that covers both SouthBridge chips, with a water block on the NorthBridge to remove the bulk of the heat from the entire integrated cooling system!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

18. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

damn i would be pissed too if i fried a 1000.00 dollar plus CPU lol. lets see if asus can work the bugs out then i will consider the X58 chipset/1366 socket and a new CPU

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

i7/i5 is a future upgrade plan, whenever it happens, and there are two options on my list really, Gigabyte and Biostar. Maybe DFI since I may not be using an ES card by then. All of them look attractive, but I may very well use the Biostar because the Gigabytes do not have double slot spacing (i.e. dual graphics are right next to each other, bad for cooling) Shame on them for that!
    Since there is basically nothing to gain from a $420 or $560 board over a $250 one, I fail to see why anyone would buy them, even the cheapest boards can get the cheapest i7 (920) to 4Ghz... I also wouldn't consider EVGA, not on the standard of their previous boards. nforce design regardless, their manuals and quality are inexcusable.

20. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.