1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Considering I managed to cut my NB temps 16ºC by installing a pair of 50dB fans, 2ºC off the CPU isn't really that much gain. I'll need a fair bit more than that, or I needn't have bothered.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    At first it seems that way, but the CPU temp never goes up as high as before the mod with the fan installed on the NB. It was the same way with the E6750 on the DS3R. In a 30-32C room without AC, Oxi will idle around 34-36C, about 4C above ambient. Without water cooling or something like that, it can't get much cooler! With a single rear case fan, that's remarkable! It should cool just a little bit better when I change out the 72mm for an 80mm with better airflow. The x2 4800+ is not exactly the coolest running chip either. The important thing is that I never have any problems with temperatures, no matter what I'm doing with the machine. Shaff was right, cooling the NB does a good job pulling heat away from the CPU, so it never gets as hot to begin with!

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

In a 27ºC room, my CPU will idle at about 28-29ºC stock. Idle temperatures are pretty meaningless, especially for CPUs still running at stock voltage. Stock CPUs are designed to use very little power at idle, and therefore they also produce very little heat.

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well ive found that i have a nice low vid on my cpu(1.1625) ive been told these chips are good OC'ers but do run a little warmer than others. so i am gonna do a little OC now. just takeing it up to 3.0ghz. nothing major. baby steps just baby steps...lol

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That is low, mine is 1.25, but the CPU is never the problem with modern core 2s. It's all down to the motherboard. The only 45nm Core 2 Quad that's limited by the CPU's performance itself is the QX9650 and QX9770, due to the unlocked multiplier.

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=604927

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

temps are still the same. granted the vcore hasnt changed.
    heres core temp which shows vid.
    [​IMG]

question. how come in Cpuz it dont show the L3 cache?
    running prime95 now temps have only gone up about 6-8c

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I quite agree! However as the room temperatures go up, so do the idle temps. A 32C room is quite warm to me, but that's about the normal temperature in there for this time of year. Given that there's only one puny 72mm fan for case ventilation, it stays remarkably cool. Under load, I don't think it's ever gotten to 50C. Russell says 48C is the highest he's ever seen it get to. I'm happy with it, but I do want to improve the airflow with a higher CFM 80mm fan. I think a big part of the low temps is the fact that the Freezer 64 blows directly, almost dead center right into the rear exhaust fan. Without that alignment, I think it would run a good bit warmer. Adding a video card would probably make it worse. That's another reason I want a better case fan, I want to eventually put a video card in it. I do know one thing, and that's putting a 50mm fan on the NB heat sink made all the difference in the world temperature wise with my E6750, and the heat even with the weak fan manages to be removed from the case. Without it, bothe the MB and CPU temps are much higher. It's truly amazing that a tiny little fan like that can make such a difference, given the poor ventilation the rear fan provides. I can only conclude that the Engineers from Siemens were correct, and it's been my finding with computers as well. I've tried the 80mm fan inside the case bit myself and it took a great deal of trial and error in aiming the fan to get results. The 40mm fan worked better and just screwed right to the heatsink. My guess is that the smaller fan kept the air moving enough around the heatsink without interfering with the overall airflow inside the case, as the 80mm did unless it was fairly precisely aimed. It was also a lot noisier!

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Seriously, you'd be surprised how little it takes to cool a dual core CPU that hasn't been overclocked, even an AMD. With the relatively weak stock NZXT case fans at 1100rpm, I didn't reach 50ºC with my 4200+ and CNPS7000Alcu, which is a much weaker cooler than the Freezer 7 Pro. Up the voltages and things change dramatically.
    The direct alignment to a fan certainly helps, but only if the fan is on the opposite side of the heatsink. When two fans are right next to each other it causes turbulence, and also forces the speed up on the other fan, which if running at or close to max speed already, will significantly shorten its life, as it will be running above its rated speed.
    One thing I did notice was that adding a 4000rpm 92mm fan to my northbridge, on its own had almost no effect. It only became a force to be reckoned with when I installed an uprated side fan - my last surviving FM121, initially at 2400rpm. I've since cut this back to a more reasonable 1600rpm. The temperatures were still reasonably good when I did this - remove the 92mm fan (I had no secure means of attaching it) and the temps are exactly as they were before, bar maybe a degree, despite a 70% more powerful side fan.

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

man im loven this thing. but im not sure if convertx is quad capable? anyhow. i just converted a 701mb avi(114 min movie) in 12:14
    that is awesome....lol

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I don't know if ConvertXtoDVD is multi-core capable officially, i use v2 and i can confirm is uses all 4 of my cores.
    I don't much convert to DVD anymore though, these days i prefer to keep the AVI's as-is and keep on my machine as a media server, and just burn them to DVD as data files ie i can get more movies on a DVD that way, i now only use DVD's as a backup, i watch everything across the network thru old xboxes (XBMC) now. Well i did watch them that way before, all that's changed is that i only use DVD's as backups now, all AVI's are kept on 2 different hard drives anyway hence DVD becomes a 3rd backup.

If a DVD movie i buy is worthy of keeping as a DVD i continue to backup via DVD Rebuilder as before, what i do now is to convert said movie to an AVI straight away via AutoGK and keep that as well, on the media server. If it's an older DVD movie i just rip and convert to AVI with AutoGK, and don't keep the DVD movie files ie i don't keep the movie as a DVD.
    Optical media seems so old fashioned now :)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

LMAO

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wholeheartedly agreed. A quiet innocuous midtower case takes the place of 2000 DVDs, or 1000 Dual layer ones. It's also faster at 60MB/s read and 25MB/s write. I daresay it's worth it's expense and size footprint! :)

13. creaky

It's just a right royal pain when you want to watch a particular movie and you have to wade thru thousands of discs. I'm sure most of us don't have the ultimate DVD organisation systems (i remember seeing a picture by bbmayo, he had all his DVD's organised in what looked like a chest of drawers, with the discs organised by the first letter, A, B, C etc, all kept in cardboard or plastic sleeves), but if you haven't got something like that it can take the time it takes to watch a movie, just looking for the damn things (most of mine are in 240-capacity binders). So i prefer to just flick on the PC and browse thru the movie folders. As Gordon Ramsey says - "Done" :)

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

if in doubt, start -> search all drives. Doesn't take long! :)

15. creaky

Nah, pictures say more than words, or whatever the phrase is :)

[​IMG]

But i know what you mean.

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok creaky you got me curious now. whats that program your showing there with the dvd's in order??

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

XBMC - Xbox Media center I believe it stands for.

18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Umm got an interesting problem for you guys. Here at work we have a Socket 478 board with some blown caps. The drive from that syatem has a lot of stuff on it that needs to be saved. The only other machine available ATM is a Windows ME machine with a Pentium 3. I plugged in the drive and Windows will not detect it. It show up in boot priority in the BIOS and in the POST. But Windows will not show it. Is there any secret software or jumper combo I can use to detect this drive?

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Probably NTFS - I don't think Me can read NTFS drives. Best off running it in another newer PC. I don't think you can back convert NTFS to FAT32 without wiping the drive.

20. creaky

Rob - That's just an example pic off the net. It's XBMC, from old type xboxes, which you should really try it out on the PC ~ http://xbmc.org/ it's a very small download, and effortless to install/setup.
    Obviously the PC version allows the playback of HD content, that's the only thing the old type xboxes can't do.

To others - Sorry i haven't got any ontopic comments re 'Official PC Building', i blame that on the never-ending economic climate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.