1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hardly surprising. I find myself having to juggle payments at the moment just to keep the existing stuff working, let alone buy new toys.

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Re the hard drive problem, just try a linux live cd on that old P3 machine and the NTFS partition(s) can be easily accessed that way..

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Very true, I'd forgotten about those, and how handy they are.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Indeed! I badly want an SSD drive...OR 2! But at 150$... wish in one hand LOL! This badboy for instance is making me drool! LOL!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227393

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, $150 is cheap, they're about $180+VAT over here...
    I personally want a Corsair P128, but they're really expensive at the moment.

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

AHA good idea Creaky! Thanks, will give it a go.

7. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

That looks vaguely familiar...I kick myself for not getting another for RAID0 fun when they were on sale for $99.
    Make sure you purchase a converter to fit the 2.5" HDD into a 3.5" bay if using it in a desktop.

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

oh yah. I've read a few reviews, + the specs of the drive. I shouldn't make that mistake LOL. Imagine if they were to make a larger 3.5 SSD. That'd be a spendy S.O.B.!!! LOL I imagine certain people would buy um up though.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    With the Freezer 64 Pro, the fan has the cooler behind it, so no problems with turbulence at all! It doesn't seem to affect the rear fan's speed at all. It runs at a very solid 1223 RPM and only varies a couple of RPM.

Airflow inside a case can be very tricky. part of the problem is the airflow of one fan blowing one direction, while a side fan blows across it. I know that if I make the 80MM that replaced the air duct an intake, my temps go up because the airflow from it interferes with the airflow through the CPU cooler. Both the 80 and the 120 on my side cover are exhausts. It's one thing to draw air from inside to out, and an entirely different thing to blow air across the airflow inside the case. Because of that and with the testing I've done with all the different fans I've tried, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the front fans should all be intakes and all the rest exhausts. I make the rear fan the strongest to assure good front to rear direction to the airflow, and the side cover top fan pulls heat away from the top of the cooler, while the lower fan pulls heat away from the video card. You've seen my temps, and it's obvious that it all works best that way for me. I know with Medical equipment, you never see a side intake, unless the exhaust is on the opposite side. Otherwise it's always front to rear. Some of the stuff I work on even have their own air conditioning systems!

Some people have difficulty understanding that blowing in and blowing out have a completely different effect on the cases air flow. They seem to think that it should have the same effect, only in reverse if you reverse the fan's airflow. They don't consider the Plenum effect of the case. While the airflow is just as strong, it's effect is greatly reduced and spread around because it's drawing air pretty much equally from the entire inside of the case. When it's blowing in, it's more concentrated in one particular area, and only diminishes with distance because of expansion inside the case.

Russ

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I owned one myself, but one of the earlier ones, the OCZ Solid Series - as such it was rubbish and I've stopped using it (but not got round to selling it), but what I found was it ran so cool and was so small you could put it pretty much anywhere.
    Omega - 5.25" SSD would be easy, just put four together and RAID them up.. haha

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

3.4Ghz is about the last easy one. You have to start adjusting stuff properly once you go beyond about 3.45-3.5.

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yea i figured i could go to 3.4ghz without adjusting anything. once i get it to the point im gonna take it to 3.6ghz i will take the vcor and mch up just 1 step pass nomal settings. i might not even mess with vcore just then and only mchmight only goto 3.5ghz after 3.4ghz just to see how far i can go under auto settings.

here is some sandra shots. Mips,burn in....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

going to run prime95 now.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Auto vcore you may well be fine, manual 1.1625 I don't think will work as high as 3.5.

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok with some help from a friend i am now at this wonderfull speed. it will be left here for a while before i go any higher.
    just barely took the vcore up to 1.25v actual volts are 1.184-1.200v still well below it threashold of 1.365. plenty of room to play with.
    also took the MCH up to 1.2v from 1.1v

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=605516
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  16. redice

redice Regular member

What does changing the MCH from 1.1v to 1.2v do?

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

More voltage to the chipset - allows it to reach higher FSBs.

18. redice

redice Regular member

ok but how do know if you need to change this or not?

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

if your motherboard becomes unstable - usually you can tell when it's the problem.

20. redice

redice Regular member

sam

ok i understand now. also would it hurt anything if you do it before hand so just in you have any problems?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.