1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Methinks your memory is a bit faulty. That was an Asus P5P800-SE, not the Gigabyte. I only had the D-940 in the Gigabyte P35 when I sent the E6750 for RMA. When I first got the P35 it got lost in shipping and was sent to the wrong address. They sent me a revision 1 MB, which I did not want as it was a known troublesome MB. I had shipped back the 965P because of a compatibility issue with the E6750 and paid an additional $50 to get the P35-DS3R rev 2.0. You could not set the fsb on the 965P to 1333 on the 965P, only if you overclocked it. It was fine with the E4300's 800 fsb, but not the 1333 bus of the E6750. That's where there was a mistake in the specs that said the buss was 1333. That's the sole reason I replaced it!

With the P35, rev 1.0 I first got there were cold boot problems. If I blew my hair drier in the vent on the side cover it would boot. I think all the confusion and shipping you are talking about was the rev 2 that got lost and was replaced with the one with the cold boot problem. Eventually I found the bios to be all messed up in the one that had been delivered to the wrong place, which came about 10 days later. I finally cleared the CMOS and flashed the F10 BIOS in it, and that was the end of the problem. Still running strong!

My 790-UD4H works fine except it get's this video anomaly at post where there are sparkling dots under the text. I have to Ctrl, Alt, Delete a couple of times till the anomaly stops, and then it's good for as long as the computer runs. I can play FC-2 on it all day and it works fine! It doesn't do it every time, and it does it with the On board Graphics with the 9500GT removed. I thought it had to do with the video card itself until I saw it do the same thing with the On board! Remember I thought it was because I had set the HT link frequency to 2200, as it seemed to go away when I set it to 2000. It doesn't do it all the time. I mainly want the 790X-UD4P because the on board graphics of the original DS4H and both UD4H's have never worked right with my monitor, even in VGA, the DVI never worked at all with my monitor. Others will work with the DVI, but not my Sceptre, yet my Sceptre works on everything else. No temperature issues, BSODs or resets. I want the 790X MB because I paid for OBG and they don't work! It's an annoying thorn in my side! LOL!! It's there, but I can't use it! I would rather have the extra PCI-E slot and two additional Sata ports than to keep the OBG that won't work with my monitor.

As it happens, I did a memory upgrade to 4GB on one of the 780GX Gigabyte computers I built, and my monitor works perfect using it in both DVI and VGA. With this one even using the VGA is problematic, as it loses the screen resolution because it doesn't always see the monitor. When it doesn't there is no 1680x1050 on the list, so the screen scrolls side to side about an inch or so each way. It has problems sensing the Plug and Play. When it doesn't work it says Unknown Monitor. When it works it says Plug and Play monitor.

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I've never heard of that means to minimize a game. What I usually do is hit either my Internet button on my keyboard, or PRIMARILY I hit the windows symbol key. Which opens the start panel. I don't know that that works in all games though.

Apparently no problems here with the Alt + Tab technique. At least with left 4 dead :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Omega: They all do the same thing. I haven't tried it yet, but it affects both TF2 and Age of Conan, neither of which had any major problems in Vista.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Something else that really bugs me about windows 7 - they haven't implemented saving your details for connecting a network - every time you reboot you have to re-enter your username and password for it. Even windows XP had that, why has it been removed?

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

What sort of network ?

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

a mapped network drive, e.g. binding W:\ to \\network name\network share.

Apparently you fix it by:
    Control Panel -> User Accounts and Family Safety > Credential Manager (I could only find this with the default control panel view - it didn't seem to be in the full view!) -> Manage Windows Credentials:

Windows credentials -> Add a Windows credential
    and repeat the location and details. This changes the status from 'session only' to 'enterprise'.

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Thats's strange then, all my stuff just works. I use just the one network, the proverbial 'WORKGROUP' workgroup, all my old type xboxes and 360's and everything just connects to each other transparently, as they did under XP, and accessing Win7 shares from the old xboxes is pretty much the same.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Compatibility options leave a lot to be desired as well. Running network stored programs in compatibility mode has been disabled in the OS (this includes the Virtual Windows XP system - so the virtual XP cannot run any program in compatibility mode since it runs as a virtual network PC) and since you're not permitted to install ACT on remote PCs you can't bypass it. Since Windows 7 has no 16-bit support, older windows 95 programs can't be run on the PC at all, you still need Windows XP dual booted, or to use a different PC.

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

1.8V for PC8500 is a bit of a con really. As one of the reviews indicated, it often needs more regardless.

11. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Haha whew finally worked out the computer bullcrap at work. Scrapped out 4 older ones and made a new one. 1GHz Pentium 3, 512MB RAM, GeForce 4 MX400, 80GB WD PATA drive for the OS. Threw the 120GB drive from the dead computer in as a slave. Runs XP like a champ and the boss is ecstatic because he can access his files again. His reaction made it worth the long reformat process :D

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

@sammorris
    Quick question. Gina's 7600GT bit the dust. She wants something better, but inexpensive. She doesn't game or anything like that. She does a lot of typing and processes some DVDs. What do you think of this card for the price?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102845

I think it should do the job, what do you think?

TIA,
    Russ

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Gina is impulsive sometimes. The rest of the time she is a major procrastinator! LOL!! She just ordered the one I was inquiring about from some other place for $37.99. Tough to beat, and for what she uses it for it should be good. I would never recommend a fannless card for the part of the country she lives in. Extremely hot and humid in the summertime.she's in Chicage! Can you say "Hot and Sticky"? LOL!!

Thanks anyway,
    Russ

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Why would it make any difference? fanless cards don't all run hot by nature.

16. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Rob if your gonna go Skill I recommend these on the 1066 2x2 at 2.1v
    if you gonna run 64 bit OS

1st
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

2nd
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231246

right now I only got these at 1066 2x1 at 2.1v on the Biostar

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231144

but the board can handle 1200 if..I had the spare money i would set these on it
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231201

I'm gonna try these next to see what they do on another build
    later down the line GeIL EVO ONE

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144212

17. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

you like me Russ..I don't like a fanless card either no matter where i live Hot or cold city it's hot there I know and very,very cold in the winter..LOL!!
    I would have slapped on it and done as long the picture show that's all that matters right?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130297

She's not oc'ing hold Russ is this you old E6750 system you sold her?

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm the opposite, I'd make my 4870X2s fanless if I could.

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

whats another fan..lol got 9 going now had 10...lmao

will be nice though once i get the HAF932 wont have all them fans

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My gaming PC is REALLY loud at the moment as all the fans are maxed 24/7 - they need to be in this room, it's so hot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.