1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

WHAT sam with a loud case???lol

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

@bigwill68
    No, it's a build I did for her three years ago, March. It's overclocked from 1.8GHz to 3.0GHz. That was my Asus P5N-E nightmare! LOL!! Amazingly, Her's still runs! LOL!!

Russ

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Then it's about the only one in history that does.
    Rob: Unfortunately so, work PC is still an absolute angel, but unfortunately doesn't see much use as there's no network infrastructure here yet. My KVM is still in RMA, and I need to buy a network switch for home (and can't afford it :( )

4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I leave all my PCs at auto fan settings for everything. I find it does a good job managing heat and noise at the same time. Sure everything idles a few degrees warmer but all 3 PCs are fairly quiet and they never get too hot when gaming. Besides, the thermal control for the fans is very sensitive and throttles very gradually when I'm gaming. You can hear a small "woosh" noise as the components warm up like say running Crysis for a few minutes. And after a few hours of Crysis all 3 rigs get fairly loud but not overly noisy. You can hear a slight whine from the blowers on the GPUs and maybe some of the smaller fans. Everything else is 120mm and stays fairly quiet to silent all the time.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's because a slight whoosh is all you hear from the HD4870 cooler - it's all I heard from it. Sadly the X2s require a bit more rpm than that and the whoosh turns into a jet-style whistle (and no, I know every layman compares a noisy PC to a jet engine, but it actually is a similar sort of harmonic)

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    All my fans are spinning 1200 rpm, except for the video card, Kama Bay fan (800 rpm), and the CPU cooler. I always thought my E6750 was a quiet computer, but this one, in spite of having one more fan only makes about half the noise of my old one. I would call it extremely quiet. Even the 53 cfm (rifle bearing) Silverstone in the rear is amazingly quiet. Next to the Kama Bay, it's the quietest fan in the system! Not dead silent, but fairly close!

Russ

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Wow guys. Guess im not the only one living in a warmer than warm climate LOL! At least currently :p We hit at least 100F today. And they're projecting 102 tomorrow. I do live in a semi-arid region(Semi Desert). GPU (most important temperature LOL) is running at 44C idle. Thank goodness for A.C.! This room gets the brunt of the heat if the A.C. quits. The CPU (if accurate) is steady at 40-41C idle.

Curious, I showed lower cpu temps on my other board. If I were to get an air bubble between the chip and heat sink, could that reek havoc? Probably so, especially near the temp sensor eh.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ugh, rifle bearings. There was a strange hissing sound coming from my computer the other day. Only slight, but enough to bug me, and it was audible behind my 1500rpm Sharkoon 140mm fan, so we're not talking a really quiet noise. I stuck my fingers in my FM121 to stop it. Ahhh, peace. The FM121 is now unplugged. Damn, I wish I could afford those Scythe Slipstreams...
    Only 20ºC outside today, but it's still baking hot in my room usually because my PC, monitors and server produce more heat than an open window can dissipate...

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam, my friend! I'm going to have to find a set of E.A.R. plugs and send them to you so you can hear just like a normal person! LOL!! It's a real joke when someone thinks you are hearing things. I was genuinely amazed at what you could hear on those recordings I sent you of the sound my computer made. I can hear great, but not the same way you do! E.A.R.'s are great because you can hear fine, they just filter out all the harsh stuff. I use them everytime I ride a Motorcycle. I had a pair of straight Trumpets on a Triump 750 Twin, going from Houston to Clearwater Florida, and by the time I got to Lake Charles Lousiana, I was going nuts from the noise, and it was getting painful. I went into a local Drug Store there, and the Druggist sold me a pair. They're fantastic. I keep a couple of pairs around at all times! you can hear normal stuff and talk to someone, but you hear no harsh noises at all! It's the first time I ever heard the chain on the sprockets on any motorcycle on the freeway! Comfortable as get out too! The guy at the shooting range came running over when he didn't see me wearing those uncomfortable earmuff things you have to wear. You don't need them! These work better!

I've yet to have a Silverstone make noise or fail! Neither has Gina. Ours are more than 3 years old, and her's is on pretty much 24/7 I'm not sure what you mean by Ugh, Rifle bearings, but so far this one has lasted longer than any non ball bearing fan I've owned, since I moved to SoCal, and it doesn't seem to get all clogged up with dust like the Fluid Dynamics or the Magnetically sealed ones do. There's almost no variance in the fan speed, and it's plugged into the Chassis fan header on the MB! It's a seriously quiet fan for 53 cfm. The Scythe Kama Bay fan is even quieter! I can just hear the top HDD (Death Star) spinning over it if I get right in front of it and level with the Kama bay, about a foot away. The tell tale with the other types is after a few months their rpms started getting erratic, and then they start to make screeching noises, and not wanting to spin when you first start the computer!

I fully admit that I gave you bad advice on the Thunderblade! Put 4 of them an a computer and it would sound like a B-17! LOL!! I trusted Thermaltake to be honest with their 21Dba noise rating. That must be one very large Anechoic chamber, say the size of a large room, that they do their sound tests in! 41Dba would be more like it! I mean I thought they were a reputable company, so I never questioned their published specs. On the other hand, the Scythe Kama Bay is the quietest 120mm fan I ever saw. The filter is totally impossible though. I threw mine out! I'm not going to pull both side covers and remove 8 screws every month or so when the filter gets plugged up. Besides, you have to remove the fan from it's housing after you remove it, just to get at the filter. No thanks, I'll vacuum more often! LOL!! One of these days if I'm feeling good, I'll take the Scythe down to Orange and put it in the sound chamber and see how close it comes to it's claimed 12.5 Dba! I'll bet the Silverstone comes close to it's 26.7 Dba too!

Best Regards,
    Russ

10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Haha been there done that. I used to run a few Thermaltake Thunderblades in my Thermaltake Armor. Even by my standards those suckers are LOUD!!! Talk about a B-17! It sounded like a cargo plane passing low over my house :p

I'm now completely switched over to 1200RPM ball bearing Cooler Master fans in all of my PCs. The same ones that come in the Cooler Master Centurion. I think they're like 43CFM or something like it IIRC. They are whisper quiet to the point where I don't consider them a major source of noise in any of my cases. Not especially high airflow I know but I have my fans fairly balanced in all 3 cases so they keep everything surprisingly cool. Just a little more exhaust than intake seems to work the best for my particular room. If I don't let everything run on auto fan speed I get room temp idles vs a few degrees warmer on auto. And even with the fans(minus CPU/GPU) at full speed my rigs are all still quite subdued.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

yeah, they're not as noisy as the FM121s, but they're really weak. Coolermaster fans are the same, but suffer the same very poor CFM/dB ratio. They basically push no air whatsoever, as I found when I bought my coolermaster case.

12. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well I'm using "stock" style 120mm Cooler Master fans in all my cases. They are far from high performance but I wouldn't go so far as to say "almost no air at all". They have reasonable airflow when balanced with other fans. But then I suppose airflow isn't so vital for me as my room is cold year round :p

Seriously though they are good fans. They push "enough" air and they are nice and quiet without being too wimpy. I don't look much further into it than that.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

With every other fan I've tried bar perhaps the NZXT and Thermaltake ones they rank inferior at the same rpm. My Nexus, Scythe, Noctua and Antec fans all push better air at the same rpm, and most of them are no noiser. That said, they are all expensive fans apart from the Nexus. As far as I'm concerned any fan is quiet if you turn it down low enough. Running a standard fan at a super-low speed gets you the same effect as a coolermaster fan - very little airflow but very little noise. For a nice quiet PC on the cheap that's fine, because they do the job, but people who want to spend extra money having a well-cooled PC (certainly someone like Rich from our graphics thread) with acceptable noise, coolermaster's the first thing on the 'to go' list.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    As far as I know, the Cooler master 120s are all 30 to 33 CFM. Quiet, but not as quiet as the Silverstone FN-121. The FM-121 is a little louder, but not that much. Still quieter than the stock Cooler masters! I think the Scythe Kama Bay fan is so quiet because of the way I have mine mounted, and the fact that none of the fan blade itself is blocked by the grille, and it blows into a 5.75" x 5.75" area that amounts to a duct, formed by the 5.25 bay enclosure and the bottom ODD! It's as near silent as you can get! The FN-121 is almost, but not quite as quiet. So far, I'm extremely pleased with the performance and quietness of both fans! At $9, I'll be buying more FN-121s for customer builds and save $5!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

plus the fact that Scythe fans are high quality and use FDBs instead of the ones in the silverstones.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I've never had any issue with the quality of the Silverstones and so far I've never had one fail in over three years. FDBs don't last 3 months here without grinding to a halt because of the silt like dust we get around here. The dust doesn't seem to bother the rifle bearings at all. I don't see any signs of dust getting into them so far in 4-5 months now! Maybe FDBs only work well here as intakes, with the blade hubs protecting the motor from the dust. I know that as exhausts, they just don't last any time at all here before they start miking funny noises and eventually slow down. The magnetic seal ones are the worst as they start screeching in a month or so. The fine dust particles just grind the no-stick coating right off the seal surfaces. Then they make horrible noises and the rpms are all over the map! I also find that negative case pressure is better than positive case pressure by a good bit! I have about 63 cfm on the intake side and about 115 cfm blowing out The differential is not that great because there's ample static venting in the case.

I tried what you suggested and moved the strongest fan to the front and the weaker CoolerMaster one to the rear! My temps went right up! It's back to the original way I had it and the temps are fine, in spite of yet another 100 degree day! I'll see how it does, as July and August are the hottest months here. They don't call the Route 66 car show "Hot August Nights" for nothing! LOL!! We've yet to have a 115-117 degree day here yet, but they are coming!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

GA-EP45-UD3P

what ya guys know about it? good, bad? any info. 8 phase or 4 phase?
    Bios? is it any different than say my EP45-DS3R?

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    The Board I have now is 4+1 Phase. The one I'm getting in exchange for it is 8+2 Phase. The power regulation on the UD4H I have now is superb, so I would guess the 8+2 Phase on the 790X-UD4P will be even better! I would thing that would apply to any brand motherboard. 8 Phase would be better than 4 Phase!

I do like the backup bios. It's saved me a lot of extra work when overclocking, because if it crashes, it goes back to the previous good setting that's on the backup bios and writes a copy of that to the other bios when it boots up! Nice feature! I'm looking forward to getting the 790X-UD4P! LOL!! No On Board Graphics, two more Sata ports and a second PCI-E slot if I ever want to use CrossFire.

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2009
  20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

That's really old news! LOL!! Months before that Asus got caught putting hardware on the motherboard that wasn't hooked up and claimed that they had this new software controlled hardware power controller. They did have it, it just wasn't ready in time so they installed the module and claimed it worked, which of course it didn't! LOL!! That made their power usage claims totally bogus! I know it was reported here, because I posted it!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.