1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Russ, this goes for all models. The only difference with the C model was the extra DDR3. I know a couple of people who had the standard P35-DS3R and never heard about them having problems saving, and as I said, not only did I have a P35C-DS3R but I still do have an X38-DS4, X48-DS4 and EP31-DS3L and none of them exhibit that problem. I also know that my friends who had a 965P-DS3 didn't have to Ctrl+F1 to save either.

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i think your right about that. i havent looked at it. havent had much time as of late to do much of anything. i havent even been able to play with OCing the Q9550 any more than i have. gonna put hte mushkin mem back in and try it around 475fsb 475x8.5=4.03ghz ;)~

Russ:
    heck myself im not to worried about the energy saving stuff added to it. like you said if anyone plans on OCing you loose that option anyways.
    i dont think my board has more options than the UD3P/R from what ive been told there is alot more tweaking options in the bios. i dont know honestly as i havent seen one yet. i got some spare time right now im gonna do some research on them.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I actually thought the UD3R was better than the DS3R in that regard.

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I know someone who had a P5Q Deluxe I think it was and didn't like it very much compared to his Gigabyte P35. The DS4P is a nice board but it has the problematic mini silentpipe cooler, so I'd avoid it. Stick with the UD3 boards.

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Soph has the P5Q Deluxe along with the Q9550. he loves it. dont think i have heard him say anything bad about it? no problems so to say???

EDIT:
    the Premium board is alot more board than i would ever use, but it is the same price as the deluxe. i doubt it will stay that way for 3 more weeks when im able to get one...lol

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Here's the thing, why would anyone enter the setup without doing Ctrl+F1? It's an automatic thing to do for most people. I never had owned a GigaByte MB before, so I didn't know. As I recall, there was no mention in the manual at all. Basic changes will save, it's just that you couldn't change voltages and things like that and have it save. It goes through the motions. but it reverts back to the settings that were set before you made the changes. That's where it drove me crazy. In fact I think Rob had a problem like that too with his MB where he wasn't able to save for the same reason. Like I said, the revision I had was an oddball. I never met or heard of anyone else having a Rev. 1.33, and you can't find it at gigabyteusa. It's not listed there. No real matter anyway!

BTW I went back to 2200MHz on the HT link frequency and 2200MHz on the CPU NB frequency, since it doesn't seem to be the cause of the video anomaly. It doesn't do it all the time, and even then only if it occurs during the post. It also doesn't make the video unstable, just annoying. It doesn't crash playing FC2 either. If it doesn't do it at the post screen, it doesn't do it at all! That's all right, I'll have the 790X-UD4P soon enough! LOL!!

Russ

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Russ: I've never used Ctrl+F1, I did it once to see what it did, then that was enough. I've never known anyone else use it, because they haven't had to use it.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Like I said, I do it all the time. I can't see all the options otherwise, or even overclock! The overclocking applies to my 790GP-UD4H as well. You have to use Ctrl/F1 to overclock!

Russ

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sure you're doing it right? lol

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

sam IICR the older GB boards had to have Ctrl F1 to go intot he OC settings, cant remember if doing it once unlocked it, or you had to do it every time.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Perhaps from the 965P era, but certainly nothing more modern.

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

It seems like I had to to something like that for EPP settings on the last board (ga-ma790gp-ds4h). Otherwise they were not seen.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Like I said, it does hide some settings, but usually they aren't of much consequence compared to others.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well I'll be dipped in camel Dung! ROFLMSOAO! I just tried it and you are right! I can save changes. Swear to God, I've never tried it! The 965P wouldn't and since then, I've always used Ctrl/F1 except when I wanted to go to PC Health to check the reported voltages and fan speeds.

From now on every build get's a Password protected SetUp, including mine!

Thanks Man,
    Russ

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol, I thought so - :)

17. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I've only had to use Ctrl+F1 with my GA-965P-DS3. All of my newer Gigabyte boards have never needed it. Though most of mine have been Intel so maybe it's more an AMD thing? Then again my GA-MA78G-DS3HP board doesn't need it either. Strange...

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As I say, P35C-DS3R, X38-DS4, X48-DS4, X48-DS5, EP31-DS3L, none need Ctrl+F1 to save.
    Oh and not the MA740-S2H or something like that either.

19. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Likewise with EX38-DS4, MA770-UD3, and MA78G-DS3H

20. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@CincyRob

Robo here's your 5 choice's of good motherboards to set that Q9550 on
    5 Good Boards

and getting pretty good results just remember you can't use the 0.25v in the bios on the gig board only the rest and vdroop in also attached to ud3p...I never knew is vdroop a good thing or bad? is that due to dynamic energy saver setup that they have on there boards? rest assure what ever board you pick you will have a good oc
    but there's nothing wrong with stepping away from Gigabyte testing others on the market they all do the same thing in commen(Get on the internet)best of luck on your choice and thanks for the extra parts...

i got the Old Abit fatal1ty aa8xe fired up but would'en stay running
    [​IMG]
    led coded at FF and shut down reading 99 and there was a constant beeping from the internal speaker onboard...i'm gonna order some G.Skill 533 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231018 cause i did stick my Kingston Hyper double sided
    on to see if it would just fire up like a old car in a junk yard and got a hot battery and a can of gas but..I did slap the P4 ht 530 on the p35c-ds3r and got it to 3.8 stable as might have seen on the oc thread...if anybody got some good info on the Abit Fatal1ty let me know and why it's sounding off like that:)

abit board pics
    http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/4335/abit1.jpg
    http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/3792/abit2.jpg

the FF code
    http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/7275/abit3.jpg

I gotta say I like the Red Lights surrounding the board...

but there's a blue light near and it's Cool:)
    http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/5405/coolbluecmps.jpg

Enjoy Building
    Ya'll:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.