1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You can't use the 0.25V in the BIOS? I don't know what you mean by that...

2. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

bios setup are different between gigabyte,asus that's what i mean sam

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I still don't see the significance of 0.25V... :S

4. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

[+0.075v]
    [+0.100v]
    [+0.125v]
    [+0.150v]
    [+0.175v]

that's how my cpu voltage is on my I45 quarter turns + or -

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

the CPU voltage has never been like that for even the old gigabyte boards. Seems strange that the newer ones that change the + setting for real values on the board don't also do it for the CPU.

6. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

i was saying if CincyRob buys a gigabyte board he won't have that option in board the voltage setting are different between the boards..he told me today he's is leaning towards
    a Asus board buy another words sam he's never played in a Asus,Biostar,DFI bios voltage setting b4 only gigabyte setting in the bios..

Enjoy Building
    Ya'll

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2009
  7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

ya, different bios's name stufff different, use different implementation fo voltages etc. but once you read the manual of any mobo, im sure its okay :)

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I tend to find most BIOSes pretty intuitive. I only usually read the manual if I'm unsure of the front panel connections. The Maximus II BIOS completely threw me at first, but after some careful reading I was able to figure out without the manual (which I didn't have)

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well ive read the manual for my mobo and no where in there does it say anything about the fine tuneing of voltage for the cpu like Bigwill is saying. even Mort81 and Soph have pointed out how fine you can tune the volts...

once again guys im not trying to start the mobo war. TBH i hate bringing up mobos around here..lol
    Myself i dont care who makes the mobo just as long as i get something that is goona serve me the way i want and need.
    i think my board now might just be that if i had better mem. which is something im gonna get before i buy another mobo. so if i can get some good mem(4gb 1066) i dont see the need to get another other than the fact that i am doing another build 1 peice at a time. i dont have the deep pockets to buy a mobo when ever i want to cause i dont like the manufacture. but i would like to see how other manufactures stuff works so i can have my own opinion on stuff.

i wont lie i like the looks of the DS4P board. the setup is what im looking for. the reviews ive read on them seem great,but have heard some(few but some) real time people havent ahd much good to say about them. as does the P5Q deluxe and premium. with MIR i can get the Premium cheaper than the other 2.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  10. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

oh wasnt trygin to caus anythign bad at all, i was just saying, that different mobos have different names in the bios for the same stuff and different voltage stuffs. lol

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NOT!
    What we've all needed for years is for the manual to explain what all the settings do and how to adjust them. Instead, they keep on inventing new ways to prevent us from finding out what things do and why! Look at memory settings! All anyone ever bothers with is the is the top 4 (5-5-5-18)! You would be amazed at how much you can increase the performance of any computer by spending some time refining the memory's sub timings! It's time consuming, so almost no one messes with them at all! I've discovered that it's time worth spending! So far, I've knocked about 3/4 of a second off of SuperPi, just by lowering the memory sub timings! It may not seem like much compared to intel's SuperPi scores, but I'm almost down to 23 seconds at 24.234s, and that's darn good for an AMD Dual Core!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Russ

which test speed are you running in super PI? i havent tried that on my Q9550 yet.

[​IMG]

this is with the CPU at 3.4ghz.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The thought occurs Russ, that's SuperPi, what about real world results?

Rob: Much the same, I would take any board that serves my purpose and works. Asus fails on the works part, Biostar, unfortunately for the time being fail on the serves my purpose part as they don't make an X48 chipset board. DFI also potentially fail there as they won't accept my graphics card since it's an ES card, which of the top-end manufacturers basically just leaves Gigabyte. As I explained earlier I had my doubts about getting another Gigabyte due to the problems I had with PCI express in crossfire mode, but I chose the DS4 simply due to how amazingly cheap it was. Happily the gamble paid off. Gigabyte aren't favourites for the i7 sector because the PCIe slots are too close together, hence electing Biostar for the possible next build. I don't choose motherboards based on fanboyism, I choose them based on whether they work how I want, and it just so happens that's basically been nothing but Gigabyte for the last two years.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    That's the whole point, there is no real world anything when it comes to SuperPi! Intel and AMD's CPUs calculate SuperPi differently. Same result but done in a different manner in the hardware. In superPi, AMD compared to Intel is slow. On the other hand video Encoding is much faster. The AMDs are x86, but no longer a clone of Intel. Both CPUs do things differently toward the same end. Throughput is faster on the AMD as well. My best time for any DVD over 6+GB using DVDRB/CCE 2 pass, was 24 minutes and small change! It's an apples and oranges thing!

Russ

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd like to compare the 7850's true rival to that, not the 6750...

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I guess it simply boils down to what a person likes. It's a speed I can afford and I'm delighted with it. I certainly know there are faster computers available. Even with the massive headaches that came with this build, it was, and still is a lot of fun. I never got angry or upset and the adventures became a learning experience. No pressure or competition either! Just build and have fun, then build some more! Next stop? Probably A Phenom II x3 720 as it's down to $119, or A Phenom IIx4 940 for $189. With the triple about 80% of the cores are able to be unlocked, so a 2.8GHz Quad wouldn't be bad either. Don't know if it can handle an overclock with all 4 cores though, but as a triple, 4GHz is supposed to be easy! I'm just looking forward to having more fun! I'm happy, and that's all that matters!

Happy Computering,
    Russ

17. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Actually over 3GHz with the 4th core unlocked is possible. I've already seen a 720BE unlocked and OC'd to 3.3GHz. With 3 cores it could hit 3.8. I might get one but I'm not sure if my LAN box needs one. They certainly are an enticing buy though. I'd recommend one for anyone looking to upgrade from their AMD64 or Phenom I.

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Man, people are making it VERY tempting to try OC'ing my PhenomII again. Seeing people exceed extreme clock speeds tells me the processor can likely do it, and its simply my memory being finicky(4 sticks of ram).

While my luck is bad, surely its not sooo bad that I got a bad bin!!!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Show me where someone's got a triple core to 4Ghz stable, I've never seen any Phenom II chip that high, regardless of how many cores it has.

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well 4GHz is doable but only with liquid cooling AFAIK. Mine can do 3.9 maximum stable but that's lapped and with a lapped Tuniq Tower 120... So I wouldn't say 4GHz is very reasonable. If I were to get a Phenom II tri I would be aiming for maybe 3.6. Though I would also be keeping my Arctic Freezer 64 Pro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.