1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok here we go. about at my max now with the DDR2 800 mem. had it higher but had to drop down to this to get it stable. very very pleased with this. new mobo and mem and things will be flying high...lol

actually running OCCT right now. highest temp is 64 on core0 lowest temp underload is 56 on core2.
    [​IMG]
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=627138

i see what ya mean about the 2 OS Russ. but until Windows 7 final is out im not messing with it anymore..lol

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Impressive results - certainly for the PC6400. However, I can get to 3.91Ghz and pass Linpack, but it certainly ain't stable, so obviously pinch of salt with linpack tests. Assuming you're still running pretty low chipset voltages to get that speed.

In other news,
    WANT!
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Intel-Core-2-...m19b56b3b6e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_500wt_924
    Damn, if I had that much money in my account I'd probably buy that sharpish and make arrangements to sell the 9550 - I really want to have a go at C2Q clocking with no FSB barriers, and the 9770 is even better than the 9650 to do it with.

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

actually in the bios the vcore is set at 1.32v and running at 1.29v so yea kinda low id say. it just finished OCCT and passed its 1 hr test. going to run PR95 now prolly ofr the next couple hrs

what makes the extreme CPUs much better than the reg?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unlocked multiplier - 4.4Ghz before you have to change the FSB.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I've had a Brother HL-1250 for about 5 years now that I bought used for $25 with an extra high capacity toner cartridge included. I've been through a lot of reams of paper since then, and I'm still on the second toner cartridge that came with it, and I've printed thousands of pages with it since. The regular cartridge that was in it when I bought it is supposed to be good for about 3000 pages and the high capacity one that came with it is good for about 6000 pages.

Your HP is a real workhorse, and incredibly still sells for almost as much as it cost when new (about $130). Typically you see them for over $100 used at Amazon or Ebay! It's a very good printer, and fast at 17 ppm! If I remember right, yours is a Network printer as well! You got a good deal!

Russ

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Exactly why I bought it, prints over ethernet to everyone in the house. By the way, I don't think they were anywhere near $130 when new in 1998/1999. The £55 I paid was a bargain in my mind, the high capacity toners can be had for about £27-£30 official (same sort of price as official high capacity cartridges for some inkets) and are good for 10,000 pages at 5% coverage. Mine occasionally says toner low but hasn't started to get into low quality yet, not bad considering the toner was a leftover, not part of the deal!

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I got the price of it from a review of it from way back when it was new. CNET I think! Could have been a typo or it could have been a later review. No date on it! The pricing was from $130 to $255.

Russ

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's CNET, who post today's refurbished unit prices not the original MSRP.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    True, but you are talking "Gamer" stable, and not everyone is a gamer! Most people that don't play games don't seem to have stability problems! I think a lot of that has to do with all the special video drivers you guys use for games, more than the overall stability of the machine. I would also like to note that I've seen stability issues after 8-12 hours of passing OCCT or Orthos, but I've never had any stability issues at all if it passed Linpack! Not even Foldin at home!

Russ

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not gamer stable russ, windows cursor stops moving on the desktop and system turns off unstable, yet it will still pass linpack. No one stress test guarantees system stability.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    While that's true, I still think the special video drivers for certain games still have something to do with that problem! I know that lockups like you describe have never happened to me yet. All I ever got was a reset while processing Video files with DVDRB/CCE, and non completed work units with FAH! The only time I ever saw the issue you mentioned was during overclocking while trying to establish limits!

Russ

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i agree with what both of you are saying and see each side for everything its worth. in all reality is there such thing at total stability in a custom built rig like we have?????

Russ
    right before i swapped out my mem i got the crucial mem to pass linpack IBT at 3.8ghz but i ran prime and OCCT and about 12mins in on each of those it failed??? that has been the only time i passed IBT and failed other stress test.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    Given all the variables involved, it's amazing that computers are as stable as they are. Mine's been running for the last 5 days, and I only rebooted once because an AVG upgrade required it! Not so much as a hiccup despite doing everything from downloading Torrents to Playing FC2! Hardware and software compatibility has come a long way in the last 20 years!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Since even my array of graphics cards runs on pretty much an identical driver to your OBG does, I'm not going to accept that. On top of all this, I once experimented with overclocking with no graphics driver installed, just the default windows one, to the exact same effect. The cause of it is chipset instability. CPU instability manifests itself differently.
    A totally stable system would be my file server, it's all stock and runs XP Pro 32-bit with no random applications, and is very rarely graphically accessed other than to run filezilla. I've seen uptimes on it of up to about 16 days. This is the E4300 - back when I had it at 3.15Ghz in my P35C-DS3R with an X1900 I had it stable for at least a period of about a month without any crashes etc.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I guess we will all find out when I get the UD4P and see how the x2 7750 overclocks without the OBG!

Russ

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not really important tbh, as chipset instability doesn't play as much of a role with AMD black edition CPUs, it's mainly just the CPUs themselvesd being a limitation.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sam,
    Very true, but they are improving. The newest chips are beginning to tolerate more FSB than mine will! Nowhere's near what the Intel's can do, but an improvement, none the less!

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't really see the point of changing the FSB on an AMD though, as you can take the multiplier pretty much to beyond the CPU's reach...

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Fine tuning i'd imagine

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    That's what a Doctor I know did. he got his Phenom II x3 to 3.995GHz by setting the FSB to 222 and the multiplier to 18. My x2 7750 won't even post over 207MHz. He dropped the FSB to 220 and is running at 3.965GHz without issues. He thought that 222 might be too close to the edge, as he put it! The Phenom II x2 550 will go even higher than 222mHz. As you say, fine Tuning! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.