1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

that is the psu i meant to say. 750tx not vx. even though it might be overkill the price is just to good. but i will try getting the new parts on my current psu before upgrading.

2. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
  3. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

That is an old card. it is easily outperformed by the 4870 which costs $285.

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

HAHA looks like that hasnt dropped in price HAHA

the $150 (after rebates) 4850 trumps it :)

5. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

ahh oh yeah, i was just doing my weekly OCCT test run, and found in everest a vista side bar gadet, which is frankly Superb :)

AND it should by rails.

so here we go:

3.3V :3.3280

5V :5.0160

12V :11.9840

All are WITHIN 1% of the Rails, and this is at 100% about half way through the OCCT test with my rig below :)

will others please post theirs, so we can see which PSU have the better rails, for better recomendations to people who ask for new PSUs? (not to forget gloating for the person witht he best PSU :p )

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    I have no idea what you were doing with the computer at the time, but with BSODs popping up it's telling you to go somewhere else! LOL!!

I've been using XP-Pro for over 5 years now, and the only BSODs I've ever seen were on several ECS Socket A motherboards! You would install XP and everything would be cool until you re-booted. The Windows screen would come on and it would Blue Screen!

I had a customer that brought me a nice HP Vista machine that Blue Screened 3 time in 10 minutes, just sitting there doing nothing! I converted it to XP-Pro and so far after 6 months, no complaints. XP-Pro is also about 20% faster than Vista, in all but a very few things. Vista Sucks! It belongs in the "Hall of Shame" along with ME! It should be called "Bloatware Extreme"! Here's some head to head links I chose at random!

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/03/17/12TC-vista-versus-xp_1.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/xp-vs-vista,1531.html

Respectfully,
    Russ

7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

reallly, thats odd. well for me it would be (pre SP2) when i would install any games which were from the age of 2000 or less. i would get BSODS and need a fresh install. not even play the game, just installations.

and i love that in Vista, when your video driver stops working its has a black screen, and then goes back, saying your video driver stopped working, and so it uses the standard vista drivers for it. from then you can install the drivers again :) where as in XP it would BSOD.

Russ you seem to me a man that does like change, who can be bothered to get to learn the new features perhaps?

have you used vista with a machine that actaully can hanlde vista? we all know these OEMs are giving vista with BS hardware, and we know vista needs better hardware, btu then that pushes better hardware through the OEMs. i mean to run vista, non intergrated chips have bcome much better. check out the 780G mobos from AMD. they are brilliant.

yes making the requirements too much is a hassle, but its pushing better HW and forcing lower end hardware to get better, and in that i see no bad. the world moves on, and if you expect vista to run on 7 year old HW then, fine hate it. but as for ME and IN MY OPINION, id liek to stay ahead, SO, Vista is fine for me, and i cant wait for DX11.

thats another thing. as a gamer, vista is becoming more and more needed. with it being able to take upto 16GB (IICR on home premium 64bit) RAM, and now a days 4GB becoming the minimum for gaming and for heavy Photoshopping 8GB, its allowing us to move on. esp with DX11 where tessalation will be prominent, and will ONLY work with vista and above, vist a becomes a requirement for gamers.

jsut remember, this is from my opinion, and no way am i tellign anyone they have to upgrade or else, btu for my gamign needs, and my general needs, vista is perfectly fine.

and yes people may say of dx10 can work of XP look at the crysis hack, did they know that those are dx9c effects, jsut they were locked, unless you were on vista with dx10 HW. assasins creed IICR was the only one to go with DX10, and nwo devil may cry 4.

the kernal for vist a is different to XP so it is impossible for it to be implemented on XP at all.

i dont liek how alot of people bash vista without using it (not anyone here i am talking about). they see alot of early stuff ont he net, and bash it to this day w.o using it.

also with the links you gave me, the toms oen is a year and a half old, and the second doesnt even use SP1, and its comparing a full XP against a bare vista, when really you would install 3rd part software for vista aswell. there no benchmarks either.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    Aside from stability issues, you have hit upon my biggest complaint with Vista with the Control Panel! What they've tried to do is give you more paths to the same function, then giving you either completely new or modified icons that you don't recognize to choose from! The 20 or so additional Icons don't make the control panel work any better than the Control Panel in XP. I already know how to find anything in the Control Panel, so why should I learn new features that do the exact same thing, but in such a convoluted way? Vista should be easier to use, not harder!

Respectfully,
    Russ

9. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

HAHA hit the nail on the head. my second annoyance to vista (UAC first, but that can be turned off) (unlike many women i know! HAHA).

whats really anoyying is the display propeties. give u a million different "pages" and no more tabs. and the naming is complicating aswell.

BUT once i got used to it all was fine (took some time though) but i fully understand where your coming from. MOST people liek to jsut pick up and go, ME i like to delve into things, tweakign to my like. thats why i think im the only person who reads a manual as the first thing i so with a product, or go into the .ini file for games, before i even play :D I like to get messy with my things ;) (which is why i love OCing, and manually changing everything they give me (unlike a cetain sam, who's OCs work on auto :O (lucky bugger)).

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    Let me take these one at a time!

Women are very easy to turn off! The problem comes in trying to turn them off, after you've turned them on! ROFL!!

Please don't throw rocks at Sam! He's been doing all this while at School and needs that computer. For him, the settings in the bios for overclocking do just fine. It's also not a bad way to learn either, as the bios settings that do change, show in the set-up after the next boot. Some of the settings also change on the fly, according to load, something fixed values don't do! There are Pros and Cons both ways! In my eyes, this was a very smart thing for him to do at the time! I'm sure that after school is out he may spend some time playing with things. Then again he may very well be satisfied with how it works now and just leave it alone. We're not talking huge differences in performance at this level to begin with. You might not be happy doing it that way, as you say you like to fiddle with the settings, while Sam may be completely happy. It's his choice and shouldn't be looked at as some failing on his part!

Respectfully,
    Russ

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

dont get me wrong, i wasnt putting him down, i was saying he's lucky he can set things to auto and still get the OC. never worked for me :D

and i have more school than him, but thats getting personal, no sure if he'd want me telling people things we talk over msn about :)

if it works, then no worries, but i love gettign the most out of it. like i could have left my ram with a 1:1 ratio with FBS so it would be 390FBS:390MHz(780 effective) which would be runnign 20mhz under my rated speed, but i wanted to push them as fast as they will run, not going over 555 15 on the timings. i eman whats the point in running an extra 100mhz when it takes another clock cycle to do it within?

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    It really depends on how much you can get out of that clock cycle. A few years back I was running my Cas2 memory at 2-2-2-4! Sophocles suggested that I relax the memory timings a bit, so I did and set the same memory to 3-3-3-6, and it improved my memory performance considerably! Tightest timings are often not the best timings to use!

Russ

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ALLRIGHTY.....

been away thinking about things and looking at things.

around christmas/new years here is gonna be my new build. just gonna list the parts not any links as to nothing is dead set yet. maybe 90% certain

Shopping Cart
    Qty. Product Description Savings Total Price
    1 COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 RC-590-KKN1-GP Black SECC / ABS ATX
    $69.99

1 SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD502lJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard
    $69.99

1 SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard
    $119.99

1 SAPPHIRE 100242L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    $174.99

1 CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 Power
    $144.99

1 mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
    $119.99

1 ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45 Intel Motherboard - Retail $209.99

1 OCZ OCZTVEND2 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569Q9450 - Retail
    put this here cause the E8600 isnt due out until Aug 10th

$349.99
    $329.99
    Subtotal: $1,289.91

Grand Total: $1,303.95

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

how abouta nehalem build, seeing as it will be out in october, for about $280 (the 2.66 Quadcore, hyperthreaded)

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ive been thinking about that shaff, but i cant justify myself useing a quad let alone the Nehalem's i dont have any proggies that require 4 cores let alone 6-8cores. plus when that all comes out(suposely now in september) the prices for that stuff is gonna be through the moon. and its all not proven yet. ill wait a year n half or so and then try one.

ive been doing alot of research,reading listening to others. at another site. i just cant see myself doing a Nehalem build in the near future. not to just say hey i got the newest toy.

ive gone over all the parts ive just listed. everything seems to fit with one another very well. a good mixture of reliable part,quality parts.

tbh some of these parts i might not wait and get slowly before i get the big stuff.
    i want to try the mushkin mem and OCZ vendetta on my rig now. so that might be my B-Day pres here in august.

16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

fair enough, from your list everything looks perfect then. its just that, planning too far ahead (5 months) for ME would be too much as each day bring newer things in our world :)

but if your happy with your choices (and why shouldnt you, they are absolutely mouth watering) then thats all that matters :)

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

thats why i said it not 100% certain....lol the mobo,cpu,psu and cooler are dead set though..... mem might be also

im not 100% sold on the samsung hdd or the saphire gpu

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    Nehalem is going to be a very expensive Build! You'll need the CPU, Motherboard and DDR3 memory. I think Nehalem is probably at least next year for most of us here! Hell, I don't even know if I need a Quad yet, let alone Nehalem! LOL!!

Russ

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

WHOO Nehalem FTW!!!

The CPU is not that much more. I expect the good motherboards to be around 300(which is about the same what high end boards go for now). The only thing that will be more expensive is the memory.

20. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

If DDR3 is going to drop prices like it has been doing over the last few months, we may get 2GB for 1333 for about £40, from a decent brand. which would be nice. in which case, it'd be considered from my self, but id rather wait a for a non extreme chip that support triple channel DDR3, unlike the mainstream 2.66 part that is only going to support dual channel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.