1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Ummm funny thing is Cincy...I'm working with that guy to help him to achieve his goal and tryin to point him in the right direction..i had that problem at first until..i got help and i'm just passing the info along to help...

I can vouch 4 that only problem..I had was upgrading from the E8400 to a Q9550 little bio update issue that was fixed with a flash:)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2009
  2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I tried everything ddp. I even dug out the DOS book because I couldn't remember all the command line parameters anymore! There's much more power in Win 98's DOS than there is in modern Command Line! It didn't matter, as all it would show me was the drive anyway. It would let me access the second partition only! This was an early version of 7 that MS was giving away. I forget what they called it. It was supposed to be good until July, and I understand it was extended until August! I downloaded it around the beginning of 09.

Russ

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Im pretty sure I took Windows 7 back to XP without using Killdisk on one of my drives. I've made so many alterations in the last 6 months, its not even funny LOL! I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Ive not had any trouble removing Windows 7 or xp in the same regard. The only times I used killdisk, was to do a clean wipe of a very nasty virus, and returning a seagate drive!

The exploding disk story blew my mind as well LOL!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What difference does it make whether a Quad or a Dual is in a board? The Biostar board is designed for overclocking full stop, it doesn't matter which CPU goes in it.
    As for the reliability issue, the low quality of most Asus boards (in particular the P45 ones) is becoming pretty public. Anyone who thinks they'll get a good few years out of an Asus board is extremely naive or simply ignorant.
    You simply don't hear the same about Gigabyte, MSI, Biostar or DFI boards. With at least four other decent brands to choose from, I still wonder why people find themselves buying Asus boards.
    If you're that desperate for two LAN ports (just buy a switch!) then you can just get a dirt cheap PCI network card, they're often better than onboard anyway. (For ref, the EP45-DQ6 has four onboard LANs)
    8-phase does not hinder a Q9550. Honestly. You'd only see the effect of that if you were pushing 4.5Ghz on vapour and needed something of the order of 1.6V.
    As for the looks, it's not really a reason at all, it's simply that you're so disillusioned with one particular manufacturer you refuse to believe Asus aren't completely different. Fact is, Gigabyte boards can sometimes be prone to smaller issues (which facing facts, sounds more like the issues you had) - the majority of Asus boards that fail do so spectacularly.

What a thoughtful post, you're going to take a line like that as gospel the Biostar won't work well with a quad core. Easily convinced aren't you?

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

On another note, Im sure glad I thought to install Iobit's Smart Defrag on my new setup. ALL 3 of my drives are looking pretty fragmented. GROSSLY fragmented LOL! This program will VERY likely be one of the first installed from now on :) Fragmented as heck, and still busting butt! Now THERE'S a work horse LOL!

And it looks like they're ready for windows 7. EXCELLENT!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  6. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Personally I use a PClinuxOS Live CD to do anything out of the ordinary with my drives. I had a fiddle with it as on OS ages ago but got fed-up when OpenSolaris installed its own boot menu that blocked access to anything but itself (its evidently not just Microsoft who are anti-competition scum).

I've looked at always-on defraggers before but I don't see why I need something else chewing on resources when its not hard to manually run Defraggler every so often.

7. FredBun

FredBun Active member

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Likewise I have never had an issue wiping Windows 7 or XP using the format utility right on the disks. Just delete all available partitions and the drive is clean. As far as recoverable data I'm sure something is left behind but nothing that manifests itself in the next install.

I did have the Grub Command Line show up in Windows Vista during a boot.ini failure(my own fault) but I'm not sure if it's something built into Vista or if it's residual from some of my Linux experiments...

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

your right it shouldnt matter which CPU goes on the board but it does and has mattered. im sure all the people wit hissues on the board just cant be makeing it up. i could see if it was a group of people in the same area, but its not its people all over the world.

i have heard from more than just one person say the same things about the biostar board its not just one person. as with you sam you have had bad luck with ASUS boards i wouldnt expect you to say anything good about them just like i wont say anything good about gigabyte boards. granted im not the expereinced with builds but in know ive had 4 different gigabyte boards and all 4 have had to be RMA'd and all 4 there was a manufacture problems with each board. and im sure im not the only person in the world of build that has had these problems im sure there is many here that has had them and just wont admit it cause its the beloved gigabyte company. i said i didnt want to start the mobo war but i guess its to late for that. unfortiontly i cant add to it cause i dont know how other boards are just the crappy gigabyte boards ive had. honestly i dont know why i asked a question about a ASUS board and expected to get a honest answer in a one sided forum.

10. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

secretly rob you know we hadnt had a good argument in a while and thought, its that time of month :D

haha

btw asus have the marketshare over others on mobos, im sure if you sell so many a few go boom lol.

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

and now see. i was just talking ot a ASUS person and he has informed me that with the P5Q Deluxe trying to get over 500fsb isnt that easy unless you have some high priced top notched mem to do it. DDR2 1200 or better. and the bios are a little tricky to acheive higher OC's(4.0ghz+) and he said if he had to do it over again he would go with the UD3P just for these reasons mention'd

12. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

I did'nt know this newegg selling pre Oc'd equipment with the Q9550
    onboard...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813124018
    that's alot for all for pc's mb,mem,cpu,heatsink plus no free shipping,Newegg got overclockering tech..lol

ic there using the Asus P5Q Pro
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131299

and the same memory..I have I bought last year for $27 dollar from newegg with free shipping ic it's deactivated now
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134586
    that's some good memory i don't care what anybody saids..I trusted some Kington memory and with this (Vigor Gaming ZTO) newegg is trying to make and major markup in price when you can put together for less cost and true builder would know this watch for tricks..in pricing...I can get that they put together for there cost they want for less than $450..believe that...

enjoy building:)

13. FredBun

FredBun Active member

800 bucks for that board!! I hope a used car comes with it at the least.

14. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Fred that's what you call a over priced overclocked setup for the unaware person that don't know or have computer skills just wants to play games

and here's the choices out the 2 brands of the 9600
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...10170147 1052427322&name=DDR2 1200 (PC2 9600)
    is the board limited just at 1200 are far past that? believe me the bios are tricky simular to my biostar board in some way of the voltage setups but better ram to make a better oc just depends how far your cpu can go and handle...I'm in a debate on 45nm voltage maximum limit some are saying it's 1.45v b4 it really frys but some say it's 1.362 rated is intel really hiding something?that's a different subject...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2009
  15. FredBun

FredBun Active member

bigwilly I concur lol.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    Some overclockers will say anything and set the voltage to whatever they want. There's been more than enough discussion about how many volts the 45's can tolerate. I side with Intel here, and I don't give a damn what all the Extreme overclockers say! Intel has said all along about the 45's that 1.362v is it, and that Electro Migration will occur above that voltage. If higher voltages were safe, the voltage limit would be higher. I personally wouldn't run one over 1.35v unless it was water cooled, but that's me! LOL!! Besides, why would Intel hide something? It's to their advantage if you could go higher with the voltage safely! You have to decide whether you want fast, or stupid fast! I've been both routes, and fast is better! Stupid fast already cost me a CPU!

Russ

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Rob: Ultimately, it's always going to be your decision to make, I can't force you to buy any particular product, and it's not as if I'm touting any particular replacement. All I'm saying is that for your sake, I recommend you don't buy an Asus. There's plenty of other choices out there. Whatever you decide to buy I wish you luck, but with the Asus you will need it.
    It's easy, you have had some dodgy experiences with Gigabyte boards, but you have nothing but some dodgy forum posts to go on against Biostar, and you haven't even considered MSI or DFI.
    Long story short, the forum isn't one-sided, you're just being a little short sighted.
    Shaff: The biggest market share, and still the highest % failure rate, it's no wonder the support is bad, they must be inundated with thousands of RMAs.
    Rob: People do rate Gigabytes above Asus' for overclocking quads on P45, The Maximus II formula was a good example of that, even before it went wrong, 460-465FSB was all it could achieve.

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

its not fact that he will need luck, just because you have needed it.

also how do you know its the CPU thats not the limit? the x48(s) that you have (had), can it achive more?

wheres your facts to back up most failure rates?

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Pretty much any shop review site. Look at the complaints about gigabytes , biostars, MSIs, DFIs, all the reasonable brands - you'll see a few DOAs, then maybe driver or BIOS bugs, a few dodgy ICHs, look at Asus reviews, there are piles of "this is my 3rd RMA" comments. It takes some reading to sift through the idiots, but the fact that there's a large pile of reviews commenting about the failures all my Asus boards have suffered (as they've essentially all been the same). I had my Q9550 up to 470FSB in the DS5 but it took silly volts on the NB to do it, which is how all X48s behave. Since I don't really want a P45, I can't test any other boards. It certainly isn't the chip though as I can achieve up to that point with almost any voltage I like. Not all Asus boards will fail, else they'd probably be out of business, but the likelihood of it is extraordinarily high. Remember I don't just have my own experience to go on, but that of some of my old friends who also fell foul of the same issues. They have all since moved to Gigabyte, MSI and DFI boards and have had no issues since. I have owned 4 Asus boards and know maybe another 10 Asus owners, of these 14 boards, around 9 of them have failed. Compare this to Gigabyte, I am the only person I know (this doesn't include aD users) to have had a bad Gigabyte board, which was the DS5, and in all fairness it was a perfectly usable board, it just wouldn't work with both PCIe 16x slots installed. I imagine a fair few boards could get away without noticing that, and one of the Asus boards I had (the A8R-MVP) was very prone to do this first, before the later total failure. Likewise, the only MSI board I've seen go bad was 7 years old. I'd be happy if me or any of my friends could get an Asus to last 3.

20. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

i agree with you Russ all the way my E8400 EO was at 1.336v just to get 4.5ghz and did'nt take it no futher

here's a quote

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.