1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't believe for a moment 4.5Ghz was stable long-term at such a low voltage, but if I remember rightly you didn't test it for very long. My Q9550 has been at 1.4V for the vast majority of its life, so far no ill effects. It has been nudged higher but it's really just MCH volts and VTT (need to be careful with that one!) that need adjusting. Primary seems to be the MCH though. Default for an X48 is 1.25V I think (1.1 for a P45) and 4Ghz stable for a quad on an X48 requires around 1.8V. A bit rich for my tastes as that would cause NB temps of around 85ÂșC with a side intake fan at 1600rpm. I had to get emergency extra side cooling at Multiplay so I settled for four red LED Antec Tricools but I'm still after a set of 4 1900rpm Kaze Jyunis, and ideally, a 140mm 1900rpm Kaze Maru for the rear if I can find one.

2. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

it was and i'm talking about my E8400 EO not my Q9550 at 4.5Ghz my Quad reasched 3.9 stable under 1.328v remember this is all on My I45 Biostar sam pleased don't get confused between the 2 ..I was talking about

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

custom PC did a massive fan feature and for 120mm fans, it stated the sharkoon silent eagle 1000 and the scythe gentle typhoon d1225c 12b4ap-14 the best.

sharkoon:
    36cmf 20.7dbA

scythe:
    61cmf
    28.6dba

4. dru3692

dru3692 Member

Need some help if you can. Just moved HDD, PSU, OPTICAL DRIVE, AND RAM to new mobo that does not have any onboard video output. NO VIDEO TO EITHER MONITOR!

Started moving ram around but that hasnt helped so far (plus, the system before that psu, hdd, ram, and optical drive came from worked just fine). I'm sure I've got a connection wrong, backward, or maybe not giving it enough power (20/4 pin connected so far but wasn't sure if I needed the 2x4 for cpu1 and cpu2 from the psu also connected (not sure why those are there on the mobo).

Here is what I'm working with:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103649
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128387
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147037
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131168 (may not be the exact card but very close)

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

dru3692,
    I'm a bit confused you say that you Just moved HDD, PSU, OPTICAL DRIVE, AND RAM to new mobo that does not have any onboard video output. NO VIDEO TO EITHER MONITOR!
    There is no on board video! You show a video card in your list, but there's no mention of it being installed. Which slot is that card in as I'm sure you installed something? Top or bottom. It needs to in the top one and be addressed in the bios setup, Advanced Bios Features, Init Display First, set to PEG! I have the same motherboard and have had no problems with it! I use a 9500GT for my video

Russ

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

They're on the mobo because you need to plug them in. They provide power to the CPU. Of course you have no video signal and I bet you have no motherboard beeps either. Your CPU has no power going to it. Plug both of them in then try it.

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

WELL it starts again!!

What do I say but it's a shame that ASUS is such a SHITTY company!!! Rob you should be ashamed of yourself for mentioning it in the presence of all these GIGABYTE lovers!!

I have an ASUS mobo that's made it over 3 years but it's not that piece of crap that Russ or Sammy had!! NOT all mobos are equal... case in point... the Gigabyte mobo that I have is still going strong and a good mobo to boot!! the P35-DS3P... From my experience the best mobo they've ever made. ROFL. The only one that I've ever had!! :)

I have a DFI that I wouldn't trade for either... but I've never had a MSI, Biostar (personal), Intel, and many others. ;)

Sam what were you doing with the ASUS mobo's you "fried", how bout your friends? You and I both know they (the mobos) are only rated for certain voltages and if you go above that voltage you run the risk.... whose to say that mistake wasn't committed?? NOT accusing you of "fubaring" your mobos but hey it happens. ;)

Sammy that may be the most offensive thing you've ever said on this forum and an apology to all ASUS users is in order!!! Think about what you said and then think about those that have good "functioning" ASUS mobos and see how asinine that statement was!!!!

This is exactly why I haven't posted in the building forum for some time.... I don't want any one manufacturer pushed down my throat let alone anyone that passes thru here!!

Ok.. now that I've pissed on everyone's post toasties and upset the flow of things I'll set back and let the MOD's have at me!!! :p

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GM,

Hang on a minute. I'm not mentioned anywhere in any of your post, and I never had an issue with anything besides the Company not wanting to honor the warranty. Well except the famed P5N-E! The are dumb as posts in Tech Service. I actually had to have a Lawyer Friend send them a letter before they finally took care of me! It was a simple thing. I had the receipt from Frys, and it was 5 months old. The board was still in production, so I see no reason to deny me a warranty! Between the two motherboards, I got 28 months out of the deal. I'm sorry you feel that my last Asus MB was a piece of crap though!

For general information, I planned on looking around for a motherboard from other manufacturers before I bought this one. I talked to will, and looked at some BioStar motherboards. The problem was that the only 790x board they have at the moment, while less expensive by about $30, was not near as feature rich as others I looked at. I also looked at MSI and DFI. I even took a brief interest in a DFI LP DK 790FX-M2RS. In the end I compared them all, and nothing gave me as much value as the GigaByte 790X-UD4P. Just the difference in motherboard cooling was really enough in itself to help make up my mind! It is also the only AM3/AM2+/AM2 motherboard that's being sold at the moment! It runs great and I'm happy with it! Had the situation been reversed and one of these other motherboards been more feature laden, I would have considered buying one of them instead!

That being said, I agree with you GM. Sam is being a bit over the top with this Asus stuff! Just a bit too much hate for my present tastes! Sam my Friend! calm down! You're gonna have a stroke! That last part was totally uncalled for, and I'm sure you will see that, and I'm very sure you will apologize for making the statement you made! That's just not the sammorris I know and respect!

Russ

9. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

lol GM always brings the funny to the thread xD

NOW GET BACK THE THE ROCK YOU CRAWLED OUT OFF!!!

:p xD <3

BTW i sent my samsung HDD off for RMA to REXO (the company that does the samsung RMA in the UK). my 640GB died 2 months ago i was lazy, but sent it off on tuesday, and now i have a replacement drive with me now! A 1 day turnaround! VERY VERY impressed.

10. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Samsung have been doing what they can to try and build themselves a decent reputation. A while back their 1TB drives randomly set on fire, obviously that's now fixed and they're particularly kickass.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I know you meant your E8400, but I stil don't believe it tbh.
    Shaff: Some nice vague results there. Those are also quite expensive fans!
    Gm: Two of these boards ran bone stock throughout their lives. None of my friends who had failed Asus boards except one had even ever been in the BIOS.
    Since I don't know anyone here who's actually had an Asus board long enough to test that statement, I don't see who I'm apologising to.
    What you don't seem to realise is that this isn't me pushing any particular brand down someone's throat. It's simply me steering people away from the dirge of Asus. There are numerous alternatives I've thrown out there.

Samsung's actual replacement service I haven't tested (but FWIW I think all HDD manufacturers arepretty quick, WD and Seagate certainly are). The difference is Samsung's tech support. Don't bother, it's a waste of time. You will eventually get there but only after well over a week and speaking to a dozen different people.

12. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

well just wait a month or two and bittech will put up the article, im sure lol.

thats what BT do nowadays, MOST of their articles and some reviews are from past Custom PCs.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Really? I can't say I'd noticed, but I never used to read customPC much. Tbh after their 'what hardware should I buy' pages I just stick to their benchmarks.
    Oh and by the way, those faulty front USBs? They were the fault of the Asus board, not of the case. Seems I owe Coolermaster an apology!

14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

well dennis publishing bought bittech a while ago, and for the last few months thats whats been happening.

its a good article though, they go through 80mm, 92mm, 120mm, 140mm and mahuusive ones.

Testing:
    extensive enough :p

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Looks like a pretty thorough test, makes a change to see someone take fan testing seriously. It doesn't surprise me that Scythe and Sharkoon came out of the test with flying colours. However, having had one and seen a few others, I wouldn't say Sharkoon fans are built to the same standard as Scythes, Antecs etc.

In other news, doesn't look like my Raptor is dead after all. New S-ATA cable and all seems well with the world :)

16. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yeah I wouldn't mind a pair of the new Raptor drives :)

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

The Veloci? I have the 150Gb(WD1500HLFS). Its friggin awesome. It defragged itself, extremely rapidly! :D

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think on value the 300GB is better, but if you don't need a drive that big the 150 is a perfectly respectable choice. I just don't want the noise and heat of a 10k drive :p

19. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

One of these days I'll have someone to talk SSD's with...LOL

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I owned an SSD. past tense. Hence why I'm waiting until I can afford an Intel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.