1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Precisely :p

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

you got proof sam that those are ex RMAs?

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The fact they haven't made the Q9450 for about six months? The fact they're only OEM chips? The fact that nobody else has restocked them? Think about it, it's obvious.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Someone could have gone out of business and they purchased a tray or two of from them!

Russ

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

A tray of processors. LOL! Could you imagine the computational power, of multiple processors, connected in such a way, that they're ONE super CPU! I drool at the thought LOL!

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

WOW... I've now made it to "no one" status. Thanks. Your knowledge and understanding surpasses all!!

Sorry your experiences have been so poor... it might be the UNDERPOWERED systems you insist on using. ROFL.

Oh well... back to the ROCK shaaf said I came from...

You BOYS have fun and make sure everyone gets a Gigabyte, GPU they don't need, and of course an underpowered PSU to power it all!!!

Continue as you have and enjoy yourselves!!!

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So how long have you owned a working Asus board then, Gm? For all that you make yourself out to be a nobody, you know that nobody here thinks that.
    Again with the bloody Gigabyte, the reason I'm so annoyed by these posts you keep making is that I am not touting Gigabyte as the be all and end all, in all of my recent posts the options are left to open to any of the reliable board manufacturers. Since when do I ever advocate unnecessary GPUs and underpowered PSUs?

That's not the Gm I remember...

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yeh... maybe not.. a little more cynical than ever I guess!!

I think almost 3 years... AMD mobo of course. btw I have 2 "refurbished" 250GB WD's that are working like a champ, 1 Galaxy enclosure, 3-4 ODD's, a MOBO (DFI), and a couple of other things that are used or refurbed that seem to have served me well so far. :)

NOT everyone has my luck, ask Robert from Cincinnati!! LOL.

I guess the "change" you see is NOT keeping me opinions to meself as I used too. I just don't like seemingly unnecessary changes. I do like your pursuit of asking what the system is for. IF that question is answered a proper response can be ordered!! ;) That quality should never change btw...

..the quip about Gigabyte is for anyone that offers a "different" mobo especially ASUS they get "re-routed" to Gigabyte 95% of the time. NOT a bad company by any means but if anyone has had poor luck with them like Robert then he like you are with ASUS wouldn't recommend them to anyone w/o some sort of caveat!!!

I could go on and on but what good will it really do?

All that can be learned or at least taken from this to me is the "ability" to be open minded. I'm more familiar with golf products but NOT an expert by any stretch... so I'm a little more biased when it comes to golf equipment or golf course products. :) I still like bang for the buck of course... that's from being frugal my whole life. ROFL. :p Don't you dare say cheap.... ya little git!!

Let's let it rest the way it is on the forum... if you care to go into PM's that's fine. :)

Again... on the way life should be.... :D

9. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Are we gonna end up getting this thread Closed also to with people
    unnessary attitudes towards other people Personal..i don't care what people think about my builds,my parts, i use or the results.i get of them cause in the long run it's My Money..i worked for seems to me it's a little jealous goe's around from time to time and one man thinks he's better than another Not True anybody can find information on what they need help with besides here people attitudes
    needs adjusted and i believe if u don't like something keep to your self don't post it that what starts the fights...i wish the best of luck to everybody and there builds lets work to solve problems not to creat problems in are own camp of afterdawn if you like what a man buying mb,memory,cpu,etc move on but atlease try and help him fix it if you known the problem these do all the same thing add and subtracted they just put better parts on some than others everybody
    builds THERE computer based on what THEY want and need lets leave it like that..I like all of you all but sometimes certain 1's can get under my skin by putting down another man's bulid or parts suggestion
    of his choice don't get me wrong..I read reviews also but sometimes you need that hands on experience for yourself that's why there's(RMA's) if it don't work out..I guess i'll get a smart rely now

Gm I had to look up that word up you lose me for a min LOL:)
    caveat=let him beware (Warning) you go professor
    i would say i only like gigabyte from it's sound chip it's got on there boards that's it O my bad i should have kept that to myself...
    i have took back 3 gigabyte boards and 1 biostar in the last year or 2 myself you can ask Robo from my Home town of Cincinnati also..lol

and why we always fighting with Sam 95% of the time are you the main 1 that likes to start these fights across thousands miles of Water
    Sam you been in more fights with people in here than i can name dude
    calm down please Relax

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2009
  10. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

lets start a "we hate biostar" thread just for bigwill :p

LOL i kid!

11. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

to be real everybody should make there own threads there should be a
    gigabyte,biostar,dfi,asus,and a memory brand,etc thread this is a build thread not a One sided thread for one brand name..I tryed for a Biostar thread but guest who came in there to cut me down quick with there opinion that's when i left and went to Xtreme and Learned More about the board and that's where they did'nt mind helping me there threads are broken up better ..I tryed to share here but i see I'm the only one here that got the I45 and having Luck with it due to MY needs and wants:)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2009
  12. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i have to agree with that.

13. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

I think it's fair to say everyone has a right to an opinion and everyone has different experiences that become set in stone. At the end of the day some brands are preferable to others but no-one should ever indefinitely say don't buy that board it's by *Insert brand here*. It would be fair to say I had one of those and it blew-up but that could be down to any number of variables. I think what really really needs to happen is people need to calm down and give each other some space and respect before something gets broken (and no it won't won't be a motherboard by the wrong brand).

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I couldn't agree more. There will always be some that has a bad experience with some product, and then assume that it must be the product line that's flawed. Every make and every model has its failures but the failures of individual experiences shouldn't be considered the norm unless others are also experiencing the same failures with the exact same product.

There are many reasons to purchase a board but for the most part I purchase them based on performance and function.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A fight? I disagree. I don't start fights, I don't intend to start fights. I also don't remember slamming Will's enthusiasm for Biostar either, apologies if I did.
    I make the recommendation based on fact that you should strongly consider alternative brands to Asus, not being specific as to which of the alternatives you should use. Some people have had some dodgy luck with other boards, and it can understandably make them disillusioned with that brand. When there is a wealth of rival brands (such as Acer/Benq's appalling CDRW drives a few years back) I never think twice about abandoning using that company for that particular product forever more. When not only you but several of your friends, numerous friends of friends and a huge wealth of people on the internet have issues those it really raises eyebrows. That is why I steer, and will continue to steer people away from choosing Asus motherboards in particular, not necessarily their other products, as the build quality of them just isn't up to scratch.
    There are some glaring holes in Gigabyte's designs as well, I will not cover their asses from some poor choices there, they have as much right to criticism as any other brand, Asus included. I have excluded Gigabyte's X58 offerings for a future i7 upgrade right from the off due to their PCI express layouts.
    Buying components based on performance and function alone is the fair approach, the most forum-friendly approach, but in many cases, the wrong approach. Said approach is how I started out and it caused me endless hours of headaches, RMAs and downtime. Only by considering what works in the long term do you get a good idea of what makes a PC that will last. An Asus, Asrock, Jetway, PC Chips or ECS motherboard, A bargain brand (too many to list) PSU, Hitachi and Seagate 7200.12 hard drives, Elixir, Crucial PC8500 and some OCZ RAM, Thermaltake fans, Powercolor and Leadtek graphics cards and speedtouch modems seemingly will not.
    That list will undoubtedly vary for others, but long term, you're going to see where the trends lie. From the extensive research I carry out, it looks like I follow most of them.
    Fact of the matter is, someone slags off Gigabyte, some people get ragey. Someone slags of Asus, LOTS of people get ragey. Someone slags off Biostar, poor Will is on his own, Someone slags off DFI, I haven't seen crowy here for a long time. Who here owns an MSI board? There are so many more options out there, people probably don't realise it because they never try them...

16. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Hey would this be a bad time to bring up solid state disks again...

17. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Me, and mine failed and still haven't got enough spare parts to even test the (allegedly fixed) board. As it worked so stably until the failure i will give it the benefit of the doubt, if it ever makes it into a build that is..
    As (mainly) a lurker i always find it comical when people get all defensive of their brands/purchases, i can never understand it, but i still just find it comical.
    I'm no different to others who find it hard to trust a particular product after failures (first example that springs to mind are Belkin F5D7230-4 routers, i had 3 of the exact same model drop connections randomly (and over a period of many months), then switched to Linksys & Buffalo and magically the disconnections vanished). And a few years later the disconnections haven't returned, not even once. So i now have a severe distrust of (any model) Belkin routers but i like and have quite a few of their other products (PCMCIA cards etc), and have done for many years. For instance i have shedloads of Belkin KVM's, the old type, OmniCube/Omniport, they seem to last forever, haven't felt like trying their newer (USB anbd audio capable) successors though.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Quite similar to me, I like certain products from manufacturers but dislike others. I love Zalman's power supplies, I don't like their coolers very much (and looking at reviews of the latest ones, it's easy to see why), though this is performance related and not reliability, a cooler doesn't exactly easily break.

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I've always tried to be flexible in my tastes when buying mother boards but over the years 3 or 4 makes tend to top my list. I've probably owned more Asus boards overall than any other make simply because year after year they keep making top performing boards with the features that I want. I've also purchased numerous Gigabyte boards as well and as a rule their quality has been good but their bios' could use a little improvement.

On average I build about about a dozen computers a year with high build years topping 20 or more (especially if 6402 and I get into a pissing contest), and I've been doing it for almost two decades. I service many times those numbers and that brings me into close contact with just about every make known regularly. I'm not sure what all this infighting is about over motherboard brands but it's gotten silly and is more a reflection of individual inexperience than it is experience.

Experienced builders rarely ask for advice when it comes to product, and don't need the validation of newbie fan boys who having thrown a couple of rigs together have now risen to the level of expert. If you like the choices that your making then you have all the validation that you need with or without the approval of someone who prefers a different choice, and everyone should respect that and leave it alone.

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

My secondary computer is an MSI Dual core 5200 AMD. I love it to death. Its every bit as smooth as my Quad core PhenomII Gigabyte board. In fact at times, it seems smoother than My quad. But then, its system doesn't have nearly the amount of programs installed :p And its also a running a different HDD. So its not fair to compare the two. Obviously encoding performance is nothing compared to the quad though :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.