1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Each drive has its own quirk. Besides, they don't make things like they used to :( Backups are always wonderful :) Rob pretty much summed it up.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I take the creaky approach. All on HDDs and have done with it.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL, time... 3Tb and growing rapidly :D

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

6.5 in my server right now, hopefully going up soon, but between the new gaming pc 1TB drive, i7, dx11 cards, new fans and an ssd, who knows when it'll happen!

5. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

lol and heres me with my lowly 1.28 hehe

6. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

now you know...i don't have Any Hard feeling on what you wanna buy that's your money... i just suggested a few things to you about the I45 sense...i have it and what..i have learned about the board..i truely understand your reason for more sata ports you need them for your burners..i like storage Hard Drives cause i deal alot of torrents and ripping and music coverting so..i will be using my
    2 x esata on the back panel for 2 x 1tb Wd green powers...i gonna
    try to fit in another board myself later on down line (UD3P)I believe the Audio Chipset on the Gig board sounds better than the Biostar also..I admit that but i like the bios better in the biostar
    no vdroop straight juice i believe that the energy saver freature that
    the gigabyte boards offers and there's nothing wrong with that...

and with a new UD3P along with a Quad maybe the Q9650 will be down in price at Micro Center if they get some in...I'm keeping in contact with Dan Moody on that issue but it's gonna done after putting I45 back together snd show cased on Xtreme....

best of luck on your choice and remember I'm here to help you offline sense we live in the same city of cincinnati...

Enjoy building
    Ya'll:)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2009
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As I said before, it's your choice, you know what's out there and what's right for you, we have no power to stop you. All I will say is that making a potentially large compromise for a board that looks nice is not something I would consider. (Oh, and PCI S-ATA cards are awesome! :p)

8. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

believe me Sam I got enough those IDE and Sata junctions and using 1 at the momment even got the pci express 1's they really come in handy sometime:)

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

its not that the biostar isnt that cosmeticaly correct for my liking's. it only has the 6 sata ports and 1 lan plugin and its IDE plug is down at the bottom of the board. with these bigger cases the normal sized ide cable dont reach where i have my ide drives.
    plus you can ask Will(heres anothe bad thing towards the gigabyte boards ive had) the pci S-ATA cards have failed horribly on my p35 board. i havent tried one on the p45 yet. and ive had 3 different cards.1 with 2 sata addons and 2 with sata and ide addons. i think i wound up giving 1 of them to Will and took the other back and still have 1 in the closet. i just wonder if i would have had issues with a different brand mobo??lol

im sorry sam i just dont understand your logic against the P5Q models there is wat to many success rates with these board for so many people to be wrong in owning one. and Sam im not trying to start anything between us, i do respect your insite on alot of things but the asus thing i just cant figure out...lol

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  10. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

O Yea Wish my Home Boy Cincy a HAPPY Belated Birthday!!! Happy 40th Old Man...your in the 40 club finally out of the 30/30 club

here it goes don't mind my messy desk either i'm busy working

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

thanks will. now im up there with you old farts..lol
    had a great day yesterday. went to texas roadhouse for dinner say GI-Joe and spent about a hr in microcenter wishing..lol

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

Ok.... I actually LOL'd on dat one. :)

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! Im going over A hill pretty soon. 30 in a couple months.

14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

sams gone to sleep lol, wait till the morning.

i do leik the looks of the i7 biostarts, look sexy, i also lvoe DFIs under UV.

ASUS ROG seris are very sexy as are the newer MSI's only Gigiabytes look like they are made by fisherprice, though NEVER judge a book by its cover as they are very potent!

theres some mobo love for this thread :D

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

NICE post.... positive all around.. even Sammy sleeping is a POSITIVE!!!! ;D

16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

LOL, your telling me :p

<3 u sam!

my PS3 wont work over HDMI, so im bakcign everythi0gn up and restoring, taking a few hours, if it still dont work, sony will have to be called. luckily their warranty service is fantastic

17. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

(I fixed your spelling mistake without realising what I was doing and aren't putting it back)

Why was everyone so quick to discard this? It's perfectly possible it just comes with several large headaches built in (my knowledge is more of the XP way but I'm fairly sure it has been made possible with Vista):
    1. You need a proper pre-configured Windows installer. Where all the settings are pre-set and other software can automatically be installed at the same time, these are quite complicated to set-up.
    2. Things like the network need be set-up using a LiveCD normally BartPE (I'm not sure what they call the Vista version) which obviously means yes you do need a ODD defying the point in what I'm saying
    3. Did I mention you need a several thousand pound MS remote install license?
    4. It takes it's time. Unless of course your using fibre-optics which is more then a little bit rare in end-user PC's

I'm now going to disengage IT technician mode.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  18. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Over network I agree with Keith1993. Also there are many guides out there for installing Vista or Win7 from USB stick as long as your BIOS lets you boot from USB...

19. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

haha I have one DVD burner in each PC. All Lite-Ons. And I use them maybe once a month for the odd DVD or whatnot. Like Sam 99% of my stuff is on my drives. Currently 3TB of total space not counting countless 4GB+ flash drives and my large collection of hard copy games. I might be throwing another 1TB Greenpower in my server/Intel quad rig soon though. My internet may be slow but it DOES fill a drive quickly enough :p

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

So you likey the Green Power WD's? ;) And the bolded you should be ashamed of!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.