1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    That's the beauty of it. They are only 5 minutes away from us by car! No shipping, no delays! Practically instant service! That's his thinking!

Russ

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd be surprised if they give you a replacement there and then over the counter. Besides, there's still the hassle of diagnosing a graphics problem, and actually arranging when to go hand the card to them. If it were me, I'd spend the extra $20 to do the job properly every time.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    That's the even more beautiful part. Only local people go there, so there's almost never a wait, and they couldn't be more accommodating. As long as you have the packaging and everything, they will give you a new one.

I went to them the first time because Newegg had let me down twice on an FX-5200 for the big Dell Workstation. I just decided to see if they had any sort of customer service, and was rewarded with the right video card in less than 5 minutes. Even on the phone they are very helpful. I had a problem one time where they suspected a driver conflict, and sent me a 3day use copy of Driver Magician. I ran it, removed the offending driver and the problem vanished. I also bought Driver Magician, so everybody won! LOL!!

Russ

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well if you're that happy about potentially needing to make a visit then do it, I hear nothing but praise for XFX's customer service generally, and their ATI products are every bit as good as their nvidia offerings, having owned one.

5. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Still want to see the Thermalright cases... :p

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Bite your tongue, pray for forgiveness, and retract those foul and nasty words.:D

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Go on then, leave your 300W at idle gaming PC on 24/7 hosting files over the network in a house where you share the electricity bill... :)

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't get it... :(

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You mean there's a way to get someone to pay for part of my current electricity bill? What about reencoding which uses more juice over time than all of those? Will they help pay for that too?:p LOL

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well everybody makes regular use of my fileserver so they're not too fussed about its power usage, not that it's that bad :p

13. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

one NAS and you are done.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    It's a joke! One for every day of the week! LOL!! It could just as well been one for every color of the rainbow. Just another reason to have more than one! Silly to a person that doesn't think having more than one is needed, but not so silly to a person that can and does save money on a shared electric bill by having more than one! Good for You!

Speaking of which, every month since I built my AMD, my electric consumption has dropped. Maybe a couple of bucks per month at most, but consistent for the last 5 months or so. Maybe you are right about the low power consumption of my rig! LOL!!

Russ

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

What Sophy said!!!! :p

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

Did your rates go down?? :p

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GM,
    No, they haven't, but the KW/H consumption has dropped a small amount that amounts to a Dollar or two per month. Spring and Summer have been one this year, very mild until just today. 108F here today with 105F expected for tomorrow. Prior to that we have had two 100F days since the start of spring. These 6 months compared to last year show a $1.13 average lower monthly bill than last year, and that's never happened before in the last 5 years. The only change was my computer in March! Hell, Russell pointed it out to me. I never would have noticed it! To me that means the new 7750/9500GT draws less power than the E6750/7600GT did. Not by a lot, but by enough to see spread over a 6 month period. It does amount to a $13-$14 a year, savings!

Russ

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Pretty unusual looking case shaff. You can have it :p I love my HAF. Seriously though, it does look equally impressive.

19. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

What he said!, I can't understand anyone (apart from parents/grandparents for instance) that only uses 1 PC.

And the bough breaks and the baby will fall. I always find NAS/RAID etc are an accident waiting to happen hence why i make manual backups of all my important stuff to separate drives and also to DVD once there's enough data to fill a DVD

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Shaff: Since an NAS itself without any drives costs more than my file server with its full complement of 7TB of space, you can see why I did it. Not to mention an NAS can't be used as an extra PC (I played TF2 on my fileserver in a moment of need), isn't as versatile or configurable, you can stick your NASes.
    Russ: I don't mean to burst your bubble but even if the power consumption of that PC was lower than before it would be difficult to spot on a monthly electricity bill. That's not to say it's irrelevant, but the other variations in your electricity usage will cause that.
    For what it's worth, the 9500GT probably does use less power than the 7600GT, but the 7750BE probably uses a bit more than the E6750.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.