1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I would guess that the E6750 used a bit more power since it was stressed much more. The CPU temperature maxes out a full 10C lower. Some of that is better case cooling, but some of it is higher power consumption on the part of the E6750. This MB has much better power management with 8+2 Phase control. In the past the difference has always been about 25 cents a month, high or low. These past 6 months there's been no high, it's all been lower by a little over a dollar a month! We should see about a $13 to $14 savings for the year if Russell is right! At least it didn't go up! LOL!!

Russ

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Isn't the heatspreader much larger on the Athlon though? I seem to remember that having an effect on the cooling performance. The difference in the heat of the chipset temperature, fan setup and even what RAM you use all plays a part as well. What power the E6750 used though is really down the voltage you used. If you were up in the 1.4s then the 7750 probably will use less ppower, unless you've overvolted that.

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

either way, i still dont see the need :p

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well to be fair, you don't really use PCs as much as the rest of us.

5. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Yeah :p

I still want to convert an old Compaq iPaq into an Atom system. I won't let my dream die!!!

In all seriousness having multiple PC's (especially if one's used for gaming) makes a lot of sense if you can afford it. Obviously a decent home computer will last years and years but something subjected to the strains of gaming/constant upgrading/OCing cannot be expected to not have more the a little downtime which is where the spare (of any form) comes in.

Then there's file servers for making backups. NAS isn't comparable on any level (except perhaps they both do the same job :|) because one's for the simple person and the other's for the lazy person who wants to mess about setting it up then never ever touching it again.

Finally there's HTPCs which need to be small, quiet and capable of booting quickly into something simple. Which means the gaming PC and File server cannot be used. HTPC are often compared to consoles and set-top boxes but here in a completely different league and actually cheaper the people expect.

I've forgotten what point I was proving if any :L

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

IIRC Russ needs 1.5v to get 3.2GHz on his chip. But mine uses 1.4 on the dot. It still won't OC any further though. I could do maybe 3.3 with some extensive tweaking.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Then there's absolutely no way his 7750 uses less than the E6750.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I was maxed out on voltage at 1.50v when I returned it for RMA!

Russ

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    With the UD4H, that's what it took. With this one, 1.39v!

Russ

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

but you said you'd noticed the power increase over the last few months, you haven't had the most recent board that long right?

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Russ, You should come over and tweak my machine :D Just teasing. You have however inspired me to play with my memory more. Im extremely tempted to tweak them to the point of peak performance. If my memory speed/latency is slowing Rebuilder in even the slightest way, im gonna find it :) I would love to see rebuilder spit out an encode in under 20 minutes.
    I will play with my HDD's, my memory, and my beloved PhenomII this weekend in the hopes of at least a 10-15% Gain.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    No I haven't had it that long, but I have had all 790/750 chipset motherboards for the last 6 months. The only real difference with the UD4P is the lack of OBG! It wasn't an increase, it was a small decrease in the overall power consumption monthly, for the last 6 months!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Well my main machine/home server cycled off and on in the middle of typing an email. It reboots in an endless loop now, never making it past the windows logo before resetting itself. It is narrowed down to mobo or CPU (gigabyte ex38-ds4 and Q9450) cause I was able to test everything else.
    Its annoying not only because I have to spend money on equipment after spending all my extra money last week on schooling to finish my CCNA training, but I also brought a clients machine home this week (5+ year old dell) that had troubles and i got it going long enough to run a malware scan it hung up when it started its work and exhibited the exact same loop.
    I'm thinking of purchasing a mobo and slapping the CPU into it.
    Anyone else have any suggestions of things to check before scrapping the board out?

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Use one stick of RAM?

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

so i have an 80GB PS3 and a Dell S2409W Monitor which have been connected via hdmi for 8 months.

but now i turn it on and its black.

i have turned it on by holding it down, by resetting the display settings, i have formatted the HDD and done the master reset on the PS3 to no avail, but all i get it a blakc screen.

if i jiggle the hdmi (at the back of the PS3) it shows red dots. i have tried a different HDMi cable to no avail, i have used both HDMI cables with my PC to this monitor and it works.

so i assume its the PS3, but i went to my aunts, and she has a sony 42" bravia which can do 720p/1080i max.

SO i thought why not connect it up. i did and it worked instantly, BUT i connected it back to my monitor and nothing :(

WTF can i do?!

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Shaff,
    Have you tried the monitor on a computer, or have you tried any other interfaces to see if they work?

Russ

17. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

as i wrote, i checked the monitor with the same HDMI cable, but instead of hooking it up to the PS3, i hooked it up to my PC and it worked. i did with both HDMI cables.

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

problem solved..... powercycled the monitor and it now works..... ODD!

19. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Speaking of odd...
    That was one of the first things I did of course. When the only stick I left didnt work i took a beer break and posted my message from my wifes lappy. I went back to it and after going into more detail, found 1 out of 4 sticks bad. I used the bad one as my single stick test so of course it didnt work. Figured it out when instead of filling the first slot i put a different stick into the 4th and it fired up.
    Verified with Memtest v1.70 as singles and as a pair the sticks i put back in.
    Now I read the advice after I get it back together, good call Sam.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Deadrum33,
    Welcome to "Murphy's Law"! LOL!!

Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.