1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

I think this has taken a strange direction :p

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be quite honest, if Russ used something better than hotmail he'd be able to search for the thread emails himself like the rest of us.

3. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Personally I have Outlook 2007 linked to my Google mail Outlook then send/receives every 2 minutes. I have pretty much every email I've received since well a long long time ago on file. If there is a line when it comes to this sort of thing I've probably crossed it.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I've used Outlook at work forever but haven't used it at home since almost as long. Seeing the comments above reminded me i needed one machine setup to import donkey years worth of my old work emails ie all my Unix notes and stuff. Did that on the Win7 C2D box and also just setup Outlook for Gmail and Hotmail too. Very nice indeed to have all 3 accessible from one interface.

Outlook is no good to me for forum stuff though as i always delete forum emails as soon as i read the forum posts themselves. But at least all my personal info will now be accessible offline if need be. Won't be setting up Outlook on more than one machine (well i might do on the Quad box).

Thing is i've used webmail for gmail and hotmail for so long now i find they're more convenient to use than Outlook but hey, cheers for the reminder, maybe i'll eventually stop using webmail (well not while i'm always using so many computers at once i guess!).

5. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I agree with Russ, the indexes is strange, and also agree with Sam criticizing hotmail, it does suck.

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

You almost got it Fred.... Sammy and RUSS are both strange... and yes HOTMail does SUK!!!! ;)

As for the "hot deal" thread or whatever... I'm sure it's NOT that difficult to find if you just use some common sense and perseverance!! :)

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

8. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Quote_the greenman_ You almost got it Fred.... Sammy and RUSS are both strange...

LOL!!! good one greenie, but don't forget, you don't want to mess with them two guys, nobody knows thier s%#t more than them two.:)

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

russ, did you find that thread as i did link it?

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

ddp you know that was to easy. :)

SO how many of you builders are using or have tried WIn7 for your new builds... I know that CREAKY seems impressed but I'm not hearing the reverance that I thought that I would... I have messed with it briefly but I'm skeeeerrrrdddd to try some new.... yep a comfort guy here.;)

11. creaky

I couldn't be more impressed. Won't be upgrading the Quad from XP any time soon (if at all, no need).
    In fact i like Win7 so much that at the moment i'm installing VirtualBox so that i can put XP back on and adding a Puppy VM too, basically to see how well they run under Win7 so stop me rebooting to the other OSes - as i have a few machines it's hard to stay on one machine or OS for too long, though Win7 seems to occupy most of my point and clicks...
    I won't be bothering with Win7's 'XP mode', i'd rather stick with VirtualBox personally.

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

Thanks creaks... I'll give it more thought and definitely more of a chance than I did Vista.... I used it once and didn't like the 'feel' of it. ;)

13. creaky

..and thus my proverbial quote as follows ~

'Win7 is what Vista should have been in the first place'.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've been using it for a month and a bit now, and it's alright, but not the amazing OS I was anticipating. It has fewer problems than Vista, but to say it's 'like vista but without the bugs' just isn't true. The main thing I like using it for is the lower memory usage. I can get away with only 4GB of RAM for more programs, not all, but most, whereas Vista I would really need 8, or preferably 12GB to run all the stuff I want.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Creaky: Does VirtualBox have any hardware support?

16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

me + vista = married

the only way im leaving is if vista commits adultry

xD

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I only have one curious problem. And I think Sam's problem may be related. Not sure. Sometimes, during startup, something goes wrong with loading the ethernet driver or what not. Because the LAN/WAN (Whatever you wanna call it) goes out the window. No internet, and probably won't run a crossover cable to another pc. Haven't tried that. But my brothers machine has the same problem. Unless its some weird bug with the modem we use (Same modems), than windows 7 has a curious bug. Restart the computer, and cross your fingers that it loads right this time, is basically how it is sometimes. I suppose there is the chance that its the modem we use. Perhaps the firmware doesn't mesh well...

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

disable and re-enable your LAN adapters, that usually fixes problems like that, believe it or not that bug affects XP too.

They aren't.

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Then WHAT is your problem? Is it still a mystery?

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

By the way, XP NEVER did that to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.