1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

No hardware issues here (under Win7 i mean).

I only ever used VirtualBox a little before i got laid off (and i only used it under Linux then), not used it again 'til now, so any comments i make on it won't be very subjective.
    It's very finicky (as i expected it to be).
    So far the XP VM is running, can see the internet but can't see my HP LaserJet 4L printer yet (that's the whole point of me putting VirtualBox on here). Audio certainly works though. Nice.
    Puppy can't see any network interfaces yet, strange.
    Am only trying this out for a laugh, i don't think i'll be using it too much, can't be doing with the hassle, can always use the PC next to this one to get other things done, plus i have yet to go fetch my other desk to put next to this one, then i can get a couple of laptops on there, basically makes it easier to fire up another machine at any time. All this virtual pc stuff isn't really my bag, i prefer real, wholesome machines.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  2. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Strange I had my 7 PC into an XP PC via crossover with no problems. Occasionally I have problems with my PCI wi-fi card but that's because the bracket is the wrong shape so you can't put the screw in. so if I move/knock off the antenna it pulls the card out.

The OS on the whole is very good although an ex-PC gamer mate who had it seems to be hell bent on making me swap to Ubuntu and using 7 soley for games.

I went had VirtualBox a while ago and a specific version caused nothing but BSOD's. If you just using MS OS's Microsoft Virtual PC is the one you want.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Win7's XP mode is all emulated, so it does not have any hardware support - no sound driver, no graphics driver, so it can't run anything 3D, anything that requires a driver to be installed like DAEMON, or anything that requires rendering, games for example. I was wondering if VirtualBox was any better.
    Omega: All sorts of stuff really, random network bugs like yours are the worst bit, but vista's networking was just as unstable, but alongside that, the total lack of half the control pages there used to be, the display properties page in win7 for example is completely useless.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I LOL'ed. Ubuntu for games? Your friend presumably hasn't noticed that the vast majority of games don't run on Linux...

5. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

I *think the newest version of VirtualBox has some 3d support although I've not investigated it. :p I realised that's what it looked like I meant afterwards.

6. creaky

I have no idea what most of that means :)
    I don't let my ISP-supplied router do very much, i prefer DD-WRT to do the grunt work (see my sig).

VirtualBox seems to have very god hardware support, as i say i have some networking and audio going so far. It's very easy to setup a VM, slap an ISO somewhere on the hard drive, follow a few steps to build a VM, install from said ISO to said VM, bish bash bosh and you have a VM running. All you have to figure out are a few settings.

[​IMG]

That's crap then if thats all XP mode in Win7 entails, sounds like it's only for getting legacy programs up then, with bugger all else. I'll still avoid it then..

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Precisely my point :S

8. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Not sure why or when I did this but it shows the performance lost in VirtualBox well: [​IMG]

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

1.0 is minimum score I think, but that's inevitable as 3D is probably emulated. I just hope it is actually supported at all. The 3D tests are stupid though, my twin 4870X2s only get 6.3 for the CPU score.

10. creaky

That's obviously due to the graphics. I certainly wouldn't expect a VM of any sort to do crazy graphics, let's be honest, these things are meant to get tasks done, but not gaming at 4000x444 or whatever (you can tell i'm not a gamer, not in modern times anyways)

11. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

I thought the Graphics scores were bl**ding obvious I was more looking at how much is lost in RAM and CPU and oddly (probably through the VM going to the the RAM then the HDD) higher drive speed.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Given that I'd only VM for old stuff I don't really need high performance for it.

13. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

I've still got all the old stuff I pulled from XP in a folder somewhere. I don't know where but I have found this screenshot:

[​IMG]

(Actually that's the Beta)

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Keith, how is it that you were able to run Classic paint on Windows 7?

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Thanks sytyguy. I appreciate that!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. creaky

He probably just copied a few files over. A bit like when companies ban/remove Solitaire, you just copy the exe file and one or two others, rename sol.exe or whatever and it works.

17. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

You simply Copy and paste mspaint from the Windows (or possibly the system32) folder of an XP install to anywhere on 7. I'd host my folder of 'classic' stuff somewhere if it wasn't for fear that the MS police would come and take me away.

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks man. Sometimes the classic interface is more practical :) They really should have implemented it. I do like the new interface, but sometimes the classic is what we need...

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

And I disagree! What's the point of having a menu, if you have to search for a sub-menu buried who knows where? That's somewhat like having a phone book with just the phone numbers listed, if you don't know where to look! Say what you want, but it belongs on the main menu! It's like looking for the Fire Dept by having to look under "S" for Smoke! And at least that would be intuitive! I stand by what I said! It should have a spot on the main menu as a topic, the same as it was at the Hounds, or other forums I belong to!

Respectfully,
    Russ

20. creaky

I somehow don't think there's room on the front page for all the stickies Russ, there's loads in many of the forums..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.