1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

We're not back to this again are we?

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I don't use the 'List subscriptions' in 'My account' as it always maxes out the CPU and takes forever to load. Haven't even used that page in about a year. Wish i hadn't now as it repeatedly locks up Firefox completely ~

[​IMG]

Ouch, see what i mean, i have too many damn subscriptions, my (much lesser) work machines used to almost catch fire trying to loading that screen. Don't tell the Admins but i always just do a quick google search for the certain keywords i need to find a thread, it never fails.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Google is the shiznit!!! :)

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

Sure we are.. that DEAD horse needs some more beating!!!! ROFL!!!

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol at the pinball game being open. I loved PC pinball games, I had a big pack of them - sadly most of them don't work in Win7, some of them even run via DOS :O
    The one thing I tried to copy was sndrec32.exe from XP. Sadly, it doesn't work. One thing I'd like to use virtual XP for.
    I think you're making far too big a deal about the forum headers Russ. Where else is PC hardware deals going to be? news and current events? unlikely. PSP firmware? DVD encoding? let's face it, other pc hardware and building a new pc are the only sensible choices, and even with a slow internet connection it doesn't take long to open those two pages. I will say this since nobody has yet pointed it out:
    Afterdawn is not DVD Hounds
    Look at the total traffic between the two sites. DVD Hounds can afford to be laid out as it is as it's a small community group page, rather than a big international forum like aD. DVDHounds can afford to use every sytem at once to organise threads as there is a small enough level of activity. Arrange aD like that and it would be chaos.

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Indeed, look how the my subscriptions page annihilates CPU power, it's always done that to me regardless of machine used, it's due to the sheer amount of info being retrieved from AD's servers i guess.

edited for spelling

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

With a post count well over 20k I think I'll pass on that :p

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Sam...are you an addict LOL!

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

It would be because you are a Mod! You virtually would have to sort through just about every thread in the forum! LOL!! That would take lots of CPU power and time!

Sam,
    I remember back when you were King of the One Liners! LOL!! 20K! I've had 5500+! LOL!!

Russ

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

King of the one liners? Not strictly fair. I've always made short posts when only short posts are necessary. Only recently have I started posting big harvardguy style essays, but I don't exactly spam single sentences like some. (Before anyone asks, I will categorically state that this is not meant to be ddp - I'm well aware why he posts short messages)

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

short messages ftw :D

12. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

harvardguy's posts are frankly ridiculous I get bored of reading them shut-off and only catch the key points (admittedly that's after only 4 lines and the same thing aplies to most things including those things with lots of writing you know, books) (We'll see if I have a sense of humour tomorrow when I find if I am or indeed aren't going to sixth-form with my D in English).

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Only one post of his has made me do that in the long term (i.e. not come back later and finish it) which was the 5400 word post a few days ago, and that's mainly because most of it was written based on a misinterpretation of something I said, so what followed was irrelevant :p

14. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Hey guys I have this in a yellow box at the top of the thread:

Any Flaming Results in a Temp Ban or Worse. Your Choice!!!

WTF it doesn't show up for any other thread. I don't think I did any flaming :S

I did make clear that the Celeron Dual core was faster than a Pentium D though. Wonder if my descriptive language triggered a script or something XD

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You do know that's been there for almost a year now right?

16. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

LOL no way! I've never even seen it before. @_@

Suppose I just never watch for things like that when every page follows a format...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  17. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i put that there when i started this thread. 1 liners. me. never.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam my friend, I was only kidding, it was a joke! I didn't mean to offend you. Actually Shaff is the present day King of the One Liners! He do make some short posts! LOL!! I never thought any of your posts were spam! You mostly stay on topic, you just used to give some very short answers! LOL!! You know your stuff, so no complaints there, and I'm not implying in any way that you did not deserve your Addict Status! 20k of posts proves that! That's almost 4 times as many as I have for roughly the same time period! ROFL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Hey guys, I have a problem with my rig and I haven't been able to get any straight help from anybody...

Basically after I OCed my Q9550, a little while later it started doing this thing where, after I leave my comp off for a while (like overnight or something), it would lock up and freeze the next time I turned it on.
    At first I thought it was just I had an unstable OC because when I restarted it would just lock up at the windows "welcome" screen. But then I lowered the clock settings (like barely changed them, maybe like .1 GHz), and it started working just fine for the rest of the day.

This basically happens every morning. I even loaded fail-safe settings in the BIOS, and it still happens. Now I figured out I can just turn it off for a few seconds after it locks up, and it'll work fine after. It's starting to worry me because I'm thinking my overclock screwed up the chip and I need a replacement.

Have any of you guys heard of/experienced this problem before?

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

mrk44,
    What OS are you running? If you are running XP you need to turn off HPET in the setup. Sounds more like a funky memory stick to me.

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.