1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You know that isn't the case and I want that line removed.
    I have been in several offices, and trust me, almost all of the new machines are dual cores. I will also state that they are always Intels. That's not fanboyism, that's simply the truth. Seemingly Dell, Viglen and HP/Compaq, the three major players for business in the UK have deals with Intel (which wouldn't surprise me given the anti-trust laws).
    The reason the Intels are given a 65W TDP is that they use a level of power roughly similar to that when they are maximally stressed, i.e. OCCT or orthos. In real world use, they use 50W, you can see that from any benchmark. The other CPUs (Intels included, not just AMDs) typically go over for peak wattage. Note that it's only the E5/6/7 and Q8 series that have 15W lower power than the TDP. The E8 and Q9 series are spot on.

I'm sick of discussing this. In every post that states both the positives and negatives of AMD CPUs, bitch bitch bitch you hate AMDs, good god it's tiresome.

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

can we all just drop it and move on to tomorrows lga 1156 launch!?

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Please.
    I eagerly await something to rid us of this age-old waste of text. Trouble is, it's an intel product. Let's not even mention AMD, just in case...

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

ok, forget the lga1156 launch, how about ODDs then :D

come on GM out with the ODDS!

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Go for it, I need something to send me to sleep, it's getting late... :p

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Dito!

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    You will continue to get arguments as long as you make statements like: "You are so focused on making sure everyone knows that AMD are the new best thing that you are zoned in on every little test that comes out in AMD's favour, whether or not it's remotely relevant". Not true at all! I post results from sources I respect without regards to whether they are specifically pro AMD or not! Or:"for the price they're one of the best value dual core chips out there, for non-enthusiasts". I'm sure that the AMD people will be pleased to hear that they are considered non-enthusiasts if they buy a 550BE! Or:"Obviously when you consider overclocking like all high end AMD CPUs they're rather useless, but still good enough for midrange gaming PCs". The review I posted shows that the 550BE, is a lot better than your claims! I could have posted the Anandtech review too, but it was just a redu of Neoseekers review anyway!

While I realize that you are entitled to your opinion, you have this habit of using descriptive words like Horrible, useless and ghastly to hammer home your points. Now you want to throw out AMD's results with a number of games because of high frame rates, as meaningless! Each CPU had the chance to see which was best at which game, and the 550BE did a nice job at gaming against the E8400. I mention the E8200, and suddenly it becomes a chip that really can't be included, as it's not up to snap with the performance of other 8000 series chips, yet you were the one that said that the 550 couldn't compete with the 8000 series!

It's not just me either. Any time anyone says something positive about an AMD CPU, you just have to say something to argue the point. I've posted countless results here and in the AMD thread to show the progress AMD is making, and you have Pissed on every one of them. You don't like Tom's or Anandtech, so therefore their results in your eyes, are not relevant! You leave newbies reading your posts with a very false impression about AMD, which is not right or fair at all! We are here to help people, and to make recommendations in choices of hardware.

I work on hundreds of computers every year and I should have over 60 customer builds this year alone. I get to see and experience the performance of all sorts of hardware. Some good and some bad. I factor all of that in, when I make recommendations for new hardware. When someone asks about hardware I know nothing about, I research it on the net, even if I don't answer their post. I may be an old dog, but I can still learn some new tricks! LOL!!

Russ

8. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Russ,

IMHO, you win the argument, but you do know you are fueling the fires for "you know who". Might be best to let it rest.

9. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

no offence but both of you have to stop, constant bickering. cant we go back to the mobo wars, right now there is only 2 sides, there we have me for asus, russ and sam for GB bigwill for biostar, etc etc xD

sytyguy, why put the snide comment in? who does it help, all you had to say is that i agree with russ, now let this end, instead of taking a quite pathetic shot, IMO, at "you know who"

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sytyguy,
    Thanks! I've spoken my piece, and said all that I'm going to say on the matter! Thanks again for the advice!

Warmest Regards,
    Russ

11. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

good idea everybody.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Shaff,
    There's nothing on the US newegg site yet, I just looked! No motherboards yet either! Apparently some dealers here have sold some i5s already, and Intel is not happy about it! They'll get over it! LOL!!

How is AMD going to combat the i5? Invest in Swiss Francs! LOL!! Realistically, MB, 920 CPU and memory is going to run about $400. I seriously doubt that any enthusiast is going to want an entry level motherboard, and maybe not even the entry level CPU. I also don't understand why Intel would turn off HT on the 920. My guess is so it doesn't cut into sales of the higher priced CPUs. I think a lot is going to depend on the strength of the USD. Right now, the Intel Core i5 is not going to sell in large numbers here. No one has any money, and the people that do aren't spending it, so sales are going to be low! Not the best of times to be introducing a new platform!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Totally concur, LOL! Do you concur? Concur with what... :p Love that movie. "Catch me if you can"

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Speaking of movies, I watched District 9 last night. Very strange flic, and I concur with that! LOL!!

Russ

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah of course, the good old fashioned Russ 'last word'. A good bit of needless quoting here, and a bit of misinterpretation (I'm beginning to think it's deliberate) there, the sytyguy mod suckup with nothing useful posted. This forum runs like clockwork, the same cycle over and over.
    Ignoring the hopeless current argument, something else I haven't seen since, oh, last week, is the fact that a new intel product clearly won't sell because it costs too much and nobody has any money. Hate to break it to you Russ, but if nobody had any money at all, they wouldn't be buying systems off you either. Fact is, you're using a motherboard that falls well within the pricing category for P55, the i5 750 will be $192 MSRP, only $3 more than the X4 955, and DDR3 memory is an AM3 staple as much as it is an i5 staple. By that logic, an i5 quad core system costs the exact same as an AMD quad core system with an X4 955. Presumably everyone's so poor the quad core is doomed then? I hardly think so.

16. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Okay guys points made and points taken, time to let it rest. Otherwise Will and I will have to start taking shots with our Biostar Galacta boards.LOL

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well you'll hear no argument from me on that even if you do... :p

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

P55-UD3R and Biostar TP55 now marked as standard choices for new system builds. Any sign of the i3 dual cores yet?

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! Thats one of the largest posts ive ever seen. Not to mention, the most intel brand products ive ever seen in one place :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.