1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

300$!!! Too rich for my blood...

Even the 209$ model is too much.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Before we get a Russ-o-matic "nobody will be able to afford them" - I will point out that the first CPUs to appear are the top-end CPUs. Every other Lynnfield CPU will cost less than those, and there are quite a lot due to come.

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

not that i can find. aparently they are 2010 iicr.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I wouldn't say NOBODY could afford them. That'd just be silly. Not everybody is suffering during these hard economical times. The people WITH money, simply need to weigh price/performance/value...oh and probably personal tastes. :D

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As far as I knew, the i3 dual cores were due out at a similar time to the other CPUs listed, it was the top end dual cores like the 3.46Ghz one that were going to be 2010.
    Omega: That's not really the point though, the other i5s, assuming they turn up shortly, will be just as good value as the current 775/AM3 lineup. Well, technically they'll be better value, because they'll be better performers.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

post edited to a link for dialup members.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Some people don't buy things based on logic or value alone though. Unfortunately for both AMD and Intel(respectively), Some people choose the processor brand they always do. Which is foolish, silly, biased(in some cases), etc. Value/performance is definitely the smarter way to go. And I suppose im somewhat hypocritical! LOL! I've always boughten Western digital because its never failed me. But there could be better drives out there for all I know. :p

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be honest, hard drives are rather different - you buy what has been reliable for you, because if a hard drive goes wrong, there's your data at stake. In the current reliability climate, WD seem to have the best track record so I would choose them even if I didn't have such good success with all the drives I've bought from them before, but I have.
    CPUs very rarely go wrong regardless of who you buy them from so it's much more about the performance for value, which is why I maintain my approach to AMDs being best for stock users and Intels the best for enthusiasts, since as an enthusiast, you want the most performance for your money. At stock, that often ends up with AMD, but once you enter the overclocking domain, Intel pretty much take almost all the awards.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Reliability is important in everything we buy. Obviously HDD's are most definitely the most important.
    Apparently Processors can effect data too though. Ive heard of instances, where a processor corrupted data. I hope that's SUPER rare! LOL!

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Only the Phenom xx00 series, like the 9500.

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

A phenom corrupted data? I was actually thinking about an intel...

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I can't remember, they may well have been one to cause it, but I can't remember one having been typical for it in the last few years.

13. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

see you dragged me into this mess on motherboard (Wars) to each like his own for there own reasons best of Luck with your choice I see it
    we all gonna run into some problems with these boards no matter the brand it is or model they all have flaws in some parts there man made...

now i know i'm gonna regret saying this but my eyes are on this puppy
    Tpower I55 i'm gonna sit back and see and read what kinda reviews it gets and what kinda performance it doe's
    [​IMG]

Biostar only gonna make 3 versions of the 1156 the T-Series T5 XE,T-Series TP55 XE and the top Dog T-Power I55 and the I55 will be in the price range of US$ 200. or less as the P45
    http://www.systemshock.co.za/forums...56-rock/page__pid__284945__st__0&#entry284945
    this board looks just like the I45 accept they added a ethernet lan and the north and south cooling is better and 2 more usb ports on.the rear...I Do believe Biostar Needs to work on there onboard sound chip alittle more in Quality it does'nt compare well with Gigabyte's Sound...I do confess that

wonder what the price range is gonna be on the 3 cpu's

Intel Core i7 Processor i7-870 Q3AJ 2.93 GHz 133MHz 95W
    Intel Core i7 Processor i7-860 Q3AL 2.80 GHz 133MHz 95W
    Intel Core i5 Processor i5-750 Q3AN 2.66 GHz 133MHz 95W

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/11270-new-intel-lynnfield-cpus-to-be-launched-as-core-i7-870-850/

Enjoy Building
    yours truly
    Biostar Rep

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2009
  14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Biostar P55s look nice. Ample cooling, good layout, nice features, nice prices.

i7 870 (Q3AJ): $580
    i7 860 (Q3AL): $300
    i5 750 (Q3AN): $210

$210 for the i5 750 plus $120 for the TP55 board ain't bad for a 95W 965BE rival.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I was the one with an AMD that had data corruption. The first 790GP-DS4H damaged the CPU and it started corrupting files. You would go to a file you saved and try to open it and you would get this loud sound and a warning message that the file was corrupted. The E6750 I foolishly cranked it up to 4GHz, started corrupting files shortly after I reached 1.5v on the CPU voltage, which was max. The replacement worked fine!

Russ

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah...I recall your trouble with that particular intel.

Well...I enabled EPP mode in the bios. Rebuilder is unaffected. Super PI is either unaffected or slightly slower than it was. I really like having 8Gb worth of ram installed. I dont like the thought of spending a great deal on 2 4gb sticks. But if thats what I must do to run at 1066 speed...
    Here's a good question. Will AM3 processors run 4 sticks at 1066 speeds, without underclocking ram? Is it simply the memory controllers on the AM2 chips that can't handle 4 modules running at 1066?

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Looks like I may have my work cut out for me in the morning. One of my Sata Optical drives keeps dropping out. And another time it thought it was simply a CD drive. Not sure if its the drive, Sata cable, or the port yet. Will determine in the morning. (GA-ma790X-ud4p)

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I have no idea about 4 sticks, because I normally only use two.

Did you set the memory voltage to auto, as well as all the other memory settings. It will not work if you have the voltage set manually either! Just set everything in the memory to auto and select EPP mode. When you enable the EPP, there's usually a setting for the mode. You want to have the EPP control everything. It will not work if any of the memory settings aren't on Auto! It sets everything and controls it. On mine it runs faster with more bandwidth than if I set it manually. You must have EPP memory, or the EPP wouldn't be showing in the setup.

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

This is the best I can do at the moment for a low end i5

Lowest Price $442.97 +Tax = 485.51
    http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/6852/i5lt.jpg

Better deal $464.97 +Tax = 503.33
    1600 Memory
    http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9158/63567214.jpg

I think I would rather spend the extra $22 and get the 1600 memory.

I said $400 and with a $99.99 motherboard and the lower price memory it comes to:
    $382.97 +Tax = $423.28, all with free shipping

I think I made a pretty good guess! LOL!! Still more than $400 for me though, even with a $100 motherboard, and memory with no heatshields!

I think it would be worth spending the extra $80.05 and get the one with the better memory and the very decent MSI motherboard!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.