1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

My Question is Y did Intel come out with the 1366 pin first b4 the 1156 pin is'nt that kinda backwards? now provider is scambling to make a decent heatsink to fit the cpu right and cool it properly..I don't feel right using those adapters either that's extra money that can be used on a good Quality 1...i'm gonna wait until the beginning of the year to build a 1156 rig by that time atlease the i5 will be alittle down in cost Micro Center got it now for $179 they always out do the egg in cost of cpu's but don't carry as must as the egg.that's something they need to work on...

@Russ

i think you would like the P55-UD4P better ,alot of people...I know got the old P45-DS3R and wished they bought the UD3P instead just because of the luck other people are having with Q9550 & the Q9650 onboard in the oc catagory

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2009
  2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

the extra pins in the 1366 was for the triple channel ram. intel always brign highend first, its how they role :p

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Firmware Version: QW06.5-3.60.3.0.8.5-GT701
    Thats the firmware I have. Just a cheapy DSL modem...

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

1366 came out first as that was the initial high-end platform. It allows the full 6 channel memory control and was the business-style prototype for the i5.
    Will: Boards don't play anywhere near as much a part in quad core overclocking since 775. Remember 775 was FSB limited, i5s and i7s work completely differently - the cheapest boards can still get big overclocks, you don't need an expensive one for that any more.

5. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

thanks for clearing that up for me Sam but you know we all like decent looking boards...lol

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    That wasn't my take on it! I had a DS3R, but it was a P35 and one of the absolute best you could buy! You can't tell from the model extension! I absolutely would like the P55-UD4P, but that would raise the price $91 over the lowest priced build. While I think the Price difference between the ECS motherboard I posted in the cheapest build, and the P55-UD4R is worth it, The price difference between the UD4R and the UD4P is not, unless you have special needs that the board fulfills, like needing 8x Crossfire or SLI!

The biggest thing I see in all of this, is Intel has far more options with i5 than first meets the eye. Once you've bought the "Big Three" at a very reasonable price, there are countless upgrades you can perform using the same motherboard and memory. By the pricing, Intel is squarely aiming at high performance by making the entry level far more consumer friendly for the package, than Core i7 ever was. Whether this strategy generates more sales of the more expensive socket 1156 Core i7s, remains to be seen. Entry level for the new i7s is only $299, but the next one up is a pretty big hit! If that doesn't work out, i5 should be able generate enough sales to pay for itself. That by the way, is why I would opt for a better motherboard and memory right from the start. I feel you would probably want it later, if you upgraded, anyway!

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

965P-DS3, not DS3R :p
    But yeah, the P35-DS3R is one of the boards that in my opinion, really got gigabyte noticed. The combination of that and its predecessor the 965P-DS3 catapulted Gigabyte towards their current status from nowhere.
    In all honesty, I see the i5 750 as a mainstream to the i7 series, and a very good one, and for that it will be the most popular of all. The i7 860 is essentially an 'i7 930' between the 920 and 940 - it is suitably priced and has all the features of a full-fat i7 but at a lower price, and still overclocks fabulously well. I can see that being a good seller. Sales for the 870 will be weaker due to the higher thermal requirement for overclocking with limited extra gains, and much higher price. That plus, for that sort of money, an i7 CPU makes more sense. The 750 and 860 are in my mind the best offerings.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I have to say, the DS3 got GigaByte above the radar and noticed, but the P965-DS3R after revision 2.0, and with the exception of the Canadian revision 1.33, which became the US revision 3.33, was their best selling motherboard ever, and cemented the deal! They sold more P965-DS3R revision 2.0 and 3.33 motherboards than all the other manufacturers did combined, in it's price range. Past it's initial teething problems, the P35-DS3R revision 2.0 was a great motherboard as well! It's still the only computer I ever sold that was overclocked. It's the only one I ever trusted enough to do that with. It's overclocked about 30%, and can run even higher without effort or high volts!

Russ

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Again, pretty sure there was no 965P-DS3R, but anyway, for me it was a choice between the P5N-E SLI and 965P-DS3. Worst decision I ever made!

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Right, probably the last you'll hear from me for a week - I'm off for a summer holiday, a little late, but it's quieter at this time of year anyway :p
    Back Monday 21st - will no doubt have a lot of reading to do!

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    You are probably right It was probably GA-965P-DS3 R 1.33. I just shoved the R on the end!

Russ

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

OH that's too bad... we'll miss you and your posts. :p

13. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

I love sarcasam in the late evening. Couldn't have said it better, good going!!!

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Seriously sytyguy, it's been several months since I haven't considered marking one of your posts 'report an offensive post'.
    If you don't have anything useful to post, don't post at all.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

sigh, once again, sytyguy.... :(

PS sam, have a good holiday, but without you whos going to post?!!?! you'll be still looking at this page when u get back :p

16. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Have you guys ever heard of a sound card causing lock-ups at bootup? Apparently my locking up issue was the fault of my sound card. But I just don't understand how a sound card could cause something like that. can somebody explain?

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! I took my tower in to a shop a couple years ago, because I was stumped. SAME situation as you. My soundcard was causing the computer to shutdown(Protect itself). Your card is either configured improperly, or its faulty, and your board is protecting itself. So yes, it does happen... ;)

18. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Normally Sam be the person to give you a massive full explanation of why it does it :'(

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

There's so many reasons why it might do that. PCI slot damage, Card damage, Cards simply old(worn), and perhaps in conjunction with an OLD card, the southbridge is receiving faulty signals. The list could go on and on. So many variables...

20. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

Well, it happens on two different boards so I guess it's just the card...too bad, that xonar d2x was amazing...hopefully i'll get lucky w/ asus support...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.