1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

maybe it needs grouding? i know its a different thing, but i had my monitor not work over HDMI on anything, but i grounded it once and it worked after that?

does that card have the floppy connector? i had the DX which did. if so maybe try another molex>FDD connector, unless your PSU has the actaul FDD connector. if you are using a convertor, and yuo are sure that works, maybe its connected to a molex thats connected to a line of molex, which pwoer something else? if so try it on a fully free molex.

(i hope i worded that last part correctly :D)

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Shaff,
    Why? Is there some rule that says we can't post without Sam? LOL!! If GM's post wasn't offensive, why was sytyguy's? I got a chuckle from both posts. As for Sam reporting an offensive post, for what, Inappropriate Humor? I was going to reply to GM's post myself, but sytyguy beat me to it. People need to lighten up and learn to laugh at things clearly meant to be funny, instead of carrying on over nothing! Accept the post as it was intended, laugh and move on!

I would have said, "Good one GM, I couldn't have said it better"! LOL!! I'm sure that would have earned me a nasty response! Why, I have no idea! Even if I was to say "Don't hurry back"! LOL!! You and Sam would have cut me to ribbons for it! You will also notice that no one else complained. And I didn't see you standing up for what was right a couple of pages back when I was being belittled! sytyguy is a good guy, and he does contribute to this and other threads. Good Lord, GM and Rob would have driven you guys up a wall. They used to needle me unmercifully, and I took it the way it was meant, in good fun!

Russ

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

GMs was clearly a joke with the emoticon at the end.

i dont want to change the topic of this thread, so im going to leave the rest of the reply out.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  4. mrk44

mrk44 Guest

lol yea i got it. I'm actually using my PSU's FDD connector, but it's at the end of a line of molex connectors, one of which powers my pump for my water loop. I guess I can try my other PSU cable with the FDD connector so there'll be nothing connected...

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

sytyguy - it does have to be said that you do only seem to pipe up to snipe and run, you don't do much posting around here which is fine but am afraid the saying is indeed 'if you don't have anything of value to post, don't post'. I believe you're a Mod on another site, even when not a Mod on other sites it's wise to post in a manner becoming of a Mod.. ..on other sites where i'm a humble poster away from the Kevlar suit & Mod buttons i always bite my tongue and try to post constructively..

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Shaff,
    I didn't say you were wrong, just overly sensitive! There was not an emoticon at the end of sytyguy's post, but it did start out "I love sarcasm in the late evening". How much more do you need to understand, it's a joke! Had sytyguy's post been the one GM sent, you and Sam still would have made the same complaint! You've made it crystal clear that you both don't like him! You chose to take offense, based on the sender, where obviously no offense was intended! Like I said, I laughed when I read it! Sam doesn't exactly have clean hands when it comes to sniping at people either, especially me!
    or this one,
    If that's not sniping and inappropriate, I don't know what is! Somehow it's OK for him to have the last word, which I find very funny as in the first example above he accuses me of doing that very thing! The fact that my response to Oman7's post was a joke, in response to his joke, and had nothing to do with Sam or anything. Just something to shoot off his mouth about! I would also like to point out that I provided links to back up what I said in my original post. No links in the responses though!

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

more on topic please :)

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=642

[​IMG]

whats intresting here is that on stock the 750 is destroyed, even with turbo mode on (whichi if you are going to keep stock it will be on), but ofc when both are OCed to 3.8, the 750 wins easily, though this is because the 965 was 3.4 to begin with and the 750 2.66

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok seeing that sam isnt here i doubt i can get a answer for my problems with a OS install

just installed xp onto my new 80gb wd hdd.
    i got everything installed fine. i look in device mangager and it has the yellow ? by the PCI device. how do i know what pci device it is talking about??? when installing my mobo disc it shows everything as installed as does my gpu disc, but i have no sound?but down in the sound devices it shows all is well. any ideas?
    i did goto evga and get the newest updated drivers for my GPU.

9. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

what other PCI devices do you have?

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

rob, does it actually show a sound card in device manager as i don't think it does?

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

shaf
    i only have my GPU and raid card controller and i know it works i have my 2 ide burners on it.
    ddp
    it does show the sound device in device manager.and there is no yellow ? next to it.

i have switched back over to my other hdd that has xp pro on it so the wife can use it tonight. but in the morning i will switch back and take a screen shot of the device manager and post.

12. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    Sometimes you have to download the HD Audio patch from Microsoft and run it. I had to do it with the UD4H, but not with the UD4P.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/i...48-x86-ENU.exe

This should solve your problem! Just run it and then put the CD back in the drive and it should finalize the HD audio install and then work!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ill give them both a try in the morning. im at work now so i cant play..lol

man a new install is so nice. i just hate putting everything back on the drive..program,software,ect

tip for the day:
    dont use a 2mb cache hdd for your OS.its fine if you only do 1 thing but try doing multiple things and it just comes to a standstill...lmao

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Rob, thank you thank you. I don't always think of every possibility. This could indeed be my mothers computers problem! Thank you MUCH!

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    I wasn't aware that you could buy a modern HDD with less than an 8MB Cache? Are you adjusting the Cache size yourself?

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ddp,
    Yes it shows the sound card or onboard sound in the device manager. It's just that some factory driver CDs don't have the Micro$oft patch I linked to Rob, and some do. All it takes is to install the patch, put the driver CD back in the drive and just let it run. The PCI error goes away and the sound works. If you are using AC97 instead of the HD Audio, it will work without the patch, but on mine you have to plug in the front panel header marked AC-97 to the sound port on the motherboard.

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

you are correct Russ. i dont have my hd audio pluged in as for i dont havea hd audio header. i am useing hte AC-97 audio plugin on the AC-97 header.

as for the 2mb cache i am 100% sure it is 2mb. it is a new hdd to me but it is a older hdd came out of a 5yo dell that it was used as a slave drive it only had 12gb of info on it when i wiped it clean and formated. i traded some extra mem to a buddy of mine for it. i basiclly got it just to install windows on and use it to get my main info off of my 500gb hdd then reformat that and have a nice new fresh install, but i was going to take my time doing it. but seeing how slow this 2mb cache is i will be doing it faster than i wanted to... i just hate to do a complete reinstall. i hate putting back all the programs,software,apps and such. plus with it being a ide hdd. i had to use my raid card controller to put my ide odd on and i dont liek how they burn when being used on that card controller. so it will all be going back. i need to find a small sata hdd smaller than 250gb for my OS and just be done with it..lol i jsut cant see paying the same price for a 160gb hdd that i can get a 500gb hdd.. ;)

19. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Funny enough, I hardly ever reformat. I've redone one partition for Vista and 7 a few times but my current XP install on my main rig is over a year old and problem-free. Works, functions, and benches like the day I installed it.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I use a 160GB Seagate with a 38GB partition for my OS and I just swapped a 2 year old DeathStar for a 250 Seagate, because the Hitachi will run on a 1.5GB/s port and the Seagate won't. Now I have two totally silent drives, and the best is that it was an even swap!

BTW, you can connect the HD audio to the front panel header. If it has individual wires, each with it's own square plug, Look in your manual and it will show you haow to do it. If it's just a female plug like my Cooler Master has, just switch plugs!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.