1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

the ideas just keep coming my cat triggs75 cm 922 this is a nice case also for a mid tower that been modifyed to liking

[​IMG]

So far have these parts;

[​IMG]

Waiting on the parts still to purchase;
    - EK-FB KIT EVGA X58 Full Board Northbridge/Southbridge Water Block
    - EK-Multioption RES 100
    - Swiftech MCP655™ Series 12 VDC Water Pump
    - EK-D5 X-TOP Version 2
    - BitsPower Fittings
    - (UN)Designs Pump Z2-Bracket
    - PrimoFlex Pro LRT Tubing
    - Distilled Water with Silver KillCoils

Until then, back to Air
    [​IMG]

specs:
    CM HAF 922 » CPU: Intel Core i7 940 OC'd to 3.69 » Motherboard: Evga X58 » Cooling: CM V8 » Corsair Dominator 6GB (3x2GB) » EVGA GeForce GTX 295 » WD VelociRaptor 600 (2x300) Raid 0 » WD Black 1TB (2x1TB) Raid 1 » 2 LG DVD SATA Model » CORSAIR 750W » Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 » Scythe Fan Controller » Vista 64 » Dell 2707WFP

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I have a friend who I got the Seagate 250 from, who wants to use an 80GB IDE as the boot drive and the Sata 250 for data. It starts to boot from the IDE and just hangs. He can do it the other way around, but the whole point is to get some use out of the 80! It shows in the setup and the IDE is selected as the boot drive, but it just won't boot with the Sata Data cable plugged in. I've never tried that. I've mixed SCSI and IDE without any issues, but this one has me stumped. Any constructive ideas would be appreciated.

Russ

3. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Russ,

Is it possible that you have the SATA drive on socket #1, if so take it off that socket, or change the boot order in the BIOS. Also, sounds like you still have an OS on the SATA drive, if so reformat it.

HTH

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Russ that is exactly the same thing i am doing right now. i have the 80gb ide pluged into the mobo ide header and 2 othe sata hdd plugged in as well and yes the one 500gb drive does have a OS on i swap back and forth every day now until i get the 80gb loaded with all the stuff i want. then clone it too the new 250gb hdd im getting tomorrow. its in route..lol

like sytguy said make sure the boot sequence is set for the ide to boot first and it has the pin in the master setting and not cable select.

5. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Good point, I forgot about changing the pin selection to Master.

6. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

If the motherboard has a second SATA controller try using that - swap from one colour SATA plug to one of another colour. I'm aware very very few motherboards have this but it's worth a bash.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob, sytyguy & keith1993,
    Thanks for the help guys! I never gave a thought to using the master jumper. I've used CS for so long, it never crossed my mind to try that. My friend Adam says thanks! No OS on the 250 at all. I wiped it with Killdisk II.

Thanks again,
    Russ

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! I wondered if you had tried that myself. I guess even experts can overlook the obvious ;) In fact, i've done it several times myself. Rob just pointed me in the right direction recently.

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

that will $129.99 please. USD.... small bills no coin....lol

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    The "Check" is in the mail! ROFL!! That's one of those little things you forget all about. Who thinks of using MA or SL jumpers with a modern 80 wire cable? LOL!! It's something I rarely do and then only if the computer doesn't support the 80 wire cable. It's been all Sata HDDs for the last 4 years or so. I still don't like Sata when it comes to multiple drives. It's a pain in the A$$ to get all your drive letters lined up properly in My Computer. When I installed the Seagate 250GB, I had to unplug both ODDs, start the computer and manually address the new drive because it wanted to be drives "I" and "J"! I used Disk Managment and changed the drive letters to "E" and "F" and then shut down the computer and then plugged the ODDs back in. They are all plugged in, in correct order, first drive in Sata0, second in Sata1. ODDs are in Sata2 and Sata3. It still doesn't matter, they will still be messed up if you try and replace a drive. I never had this annoyance with IDE! The Seagate is about 20GB/s faster than the DeathStar! LOL!!

Thanks again,
    Russ

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Russ
    so did that fix your problem then? you didnt say one way or another?

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    I haven't heard yet. I know that he was getting ready for work when I called him earlier. He will probably do it tonight. I will let you know. He already tried switching Sata ports, but that didn't help!

EDIT: I called Adam this morning and didn't do it last night. He was beat when he got home. He said he would get back to me later and let me know if it worked or not. He says if it doesn't, he's going to just use the 250GB Sata drive and eliminate the 80GB IDE altogether, since the 250 is so much faster!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

If thats true, than XFX just made me sick to my stomach...

I absolutely despise war. I don't believe there is EVER a need for it. Can't we all just get along LOL! :)

You know...its funny, that we search for life on other planets, but we can't even co-exist with one another. Sad sad sad...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Look back through the World's History. I don't think there has ever been a time where there was Peace World Wide! Today, there's not much in the way of respect. People lack the ability to understand that while they might disagree with someone, it does not make them right! Why can't people respect that? Look how people kill people over a parking space. Man is getting more narrow minded and short sighted, and way too competitive! Oh, my favorite, Aggressive! If you disagree, how about the guy at WalMart who beat up a Woman in front of her 7 year old Daughter! Right at the Door of WalMart. She asked him to Please be more careful, as he almost hit her Daughter with the door. He turned around and started punching her to the ground and kicking her several times before someone grabbed him. Oh, he was in a hurry! Frankly, most people today don't know how to be considerate. Today it's considered a weakness! Something to be taken advantage of!

Sorry to get on my Soap Box, but I repaired a computer today for the second time in two weeks, because this Guy's Son won't stay out of the settings in the control panel. He says I told him not to, but you know kids! I told him, No, I don't know kids! I told my children not to do something and they didn't do it! There was no threat, real or imagined. I don't think My wife and I combined spanked any of them more than a handful of times in their entire lives! Besides, I didn't phrase it as a question! Today is bad enough and I don't even want to think about the next generation! Thankfully, I won't be here for that!

Oh, if there is Life on other Planets, Man will figure some way to destroy it!

Russ

16. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I only ever spanked my kids twice, ever. And regretted it both times, at the very least it was a sign of weakness, at the most it was unnecessary as had never had to do it before, nor since. In my humble opinion it's weakness on the side of a parent if they can't keep control with only their voice. Just look at all the Supernanny type programs where the same old mistakes get made over and over. No-one teaches us how to be parents, maybe i just expect everyone out there to have common sense and practice it LOL.
    I have an 11yr old and a 9yr old who are two of the most balanced kids that i know, they play up just like any other kids and talk back/cheek as any others (didn't we all), but they sure know a booming voice or authority in a voice when they hear it :)

On topic where are all the PC builders, is the recession as bad everywhere else as i perceive it to be here in the UK ?

17. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

yes :(

BUT microsfot are giving away windows 7 to students, either the home premiuim or professional, for £30!

nice ressession antiodote :D

18. mike09198

mike09198 Member

On topic where are all the PC builders, is the recession as bad everywhere else as i perceive it to be here in the UK ?[/quote]

------------------------------------------------------------------

Yea it's bad but I'm still planning on building. I have good timing too since my computer just kept shutting down on me last night while playing games like FarCry and Doom 3. Funny how it couldn't even hit 50C before it would shut down.

That is with a AMD 5600+ X2 CPU which is "suppose" to go to 60+C. But I guess I'm part to blame on that =). OC it to 3.3 GHz on just air by upping the voltage and a few other tweaks.

But what gets me is even when I when back to default settings I still had it shut down on me. So I figured a good air cleanning would do the trick (haven't done one in about a year). Well it did do some good got my CPU temps down to 35C-39C always a good thing.

Haven't tested it out yet but looks good so far. On a safer case I'm also going to pull out the multi-meter to check on the PSU. If it fails I guess that is another thing I have to add to the list on building my PC.

19. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

pssht my 2.5k build had a SUPERB PSU ;)

20. mike09198

mike09198 Member

Lol =) yea if I buy a new PSU I'm thinking of a KW PSU. However, I can't help to think that is overkill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.