1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

WAY UBERKILL!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

russ, they are kidding you, look at the directx version on leftside middle.

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

lol nice pic mods :D

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Its only a matter of time :D Soon as I get a few paychecks from the HOPEFULLY second job, i'll be building super MAD machines LOL! And im beginning with an intel believe it or not. I try and keep an open mind.

5. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

SLANDER SLANDER!

:p

(ps go with asus while ur at it :D)

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Believe it or not, I am strongly considering an Asus. To put to rest all the possible BS thats going around. Since i'll have the money, it really isn't gonna bother me that much, should a board fail.

7. mike09198

mike09198 Member

My current build has a Asus MOBO and I have had no issues with it whatsoever. My prior build was with a MSI board and no major issues with that one either.

But I'm a firm believer in two things:

1. You get what you paid for (you buy a cheap board you get a cheap product)

2. Reviews, Reviews, and Reviews

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I've heard that longevity seems to currently be a problem with them. 3-9month failure. I hope they're not getting skimpy on build quality...

I have an 8 year old asus. Obviously once upon a time they believed in quality. I'd like to see another of their boards live that long :D

9. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

It doesn't really affect me since I'm must a broke university student XD

About time I start putting together a new build though, the need/desire for new hardware is getting pretty bad lol. Still waiting for the prices on i7's to drop into the affordable range.

I do have a question for you guy's though, what kind of 'symptoms' would you expect from a system that doesn't get enough power (from the wall socket). Still working on some problems that crop up every now and then and by process of elimination it's either a MB, CPU or power issue (hoping it's not a combination).

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try another psu.

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Bad PSU's can cause all sorts of buggy behavior. I had one that had a fan go out. After a few minutes in windows, my guess is the transformer got hot, and windows would lock up, due to the CPU not getting enough juice. Or simply a major component not getting enough juice, E.G. Ram, HDD, etc. Got a new fan for it, and lasted another year before quitting. Ultimately, I believe the time it ran without a fan, hurt it.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Red_Maw,
    I've seen some so weak that just plugging in a fan while it's running will shut it down. I have an eMachine here right now that has such a weak PSU that you can run the setup all day long and it's fine. The minute it reaches the point of the Num Lock turning on, and resets! I'm still not sure if the problem is the PSU, or the CPU itself. The stock cooler that came with it was packed with fine dust till it was almost touching the fan! The computer was so cheap that the only case airflow was through the PSU, which was about 90% blocked up with dust! No rear case fan at all, only a grille snapped into the back where there is a place for an 80mm fan! I'll have to wait to find out because I don't have a spare PSU that will work in it, at the moment.

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

How has no-one noticed the year under the XFX logo?!?! It's 2118 A.D. The whole thing is the first stage of some sort of odd viral.

Gahhhhh Don't talk to me about monies! I've just started college and I don't get EMA!! My mate on the other hand does so he gets £30 a week and a £100 bonus at Christmas, Easter and summer for nothing more then turning up! So I've sat here adding bits slowly but surely when I've ended up with money. Yet he's going to put the governments money straight towards building the Phenom II rig *I* was aiming for! It's not even that he's worse off then me it's just his parents have split up and his mum (who he lives with) earns slightly less then the £30,000 threshold yet he still gets given far more money then me from both his parents!

Rant off :p

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I noticed the 2118 A.D. year :p Somebody already mentioned it being bogus. DDP :)

By the way, My phenom II rig is incredible :D Although the gigabyte board is going back...

15. mike09198

mike09198 Member

It doesn't really affect me since I'm must a broke university student XD
    [/quote]

I'm just wondering are you in the US or UK? That is how I get many of my builds back when I was in college. I would get over 12K for college for loans plus over 3-4K from grants.

That would buy my custom PCs and laptops since I could only use it for college it would go to a build PC for my studies.

16. mike09198

mike09198 Member

How current are you referring to? My board was purchased about 3 years ago and it still runs a-ok.

17. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Since I don't have a spare PSU I'll need to buy and I'm a bit hesitant to do that. Spending $250+ on a psu right now scares me, especially since they'll come down in price by the time I'll need it for a new build. Really regret not getting that PCP&C (only because I didn't think I'd need a spare psu too) when it was 50% off last year.

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

why not get a corsair cx400W?

mm hmm, beinga student has its perks :D

i built my beast watercooled PC with it. then i needed rent LOL so i sold it off for the shoebox-sized pc i have now.

my P5K-E has been going alive for a LONG while aswell, over a year and a half. (PS its with a 100% OC aswell, E2140 overclocked from 1.6 to 3.2GHz)

19. mike09198

mike09198 Member

My last PSU had the same problem where the fan blew. I just bought a 120mm case fan for a temp fix till I built my new PC. Worked like a charm.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I'm just wondering are you in the US or UK? That is how I get many of my builds back when I was in college. I would get over 12K for college for loans plus over 3-4K from grants.

That would buy my custom PCs and laptops since I could only use it for college it would go to a build PC for my studies.[/quote]
    mike09198,
    My last stint in college, 20 years after my first two years, I made money doing Word Processing to help pay my costs. I did term papers, Dissertations, Resumes for Graduating Students, Reports and anything that needed printing. All with an Atari ST-1024 and a Mannsman Tally Daisy Wheel Printer, complete with Accoustic box. Hardly anyone did that sort of thing back in 85-86. Eventually I rented a spare room from the University for my little Enterprise! I went to school full time, so I had to make money somehow, for the next two years! I was also single at the time, which helped somewhat! I somehow doubt that there were any Student loans then, let alone Student Loans for a 41-42 year old Unemployed College dropouts! LOL!! I did have work, but it had to be worked around my schedule!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.