1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Because it performs better. You really should stop defending it so much, it's on it's way out. And XP's life is being extended to unheard of levels, can't say i've read anything remotely similar about Vista. Just let it go Shaf, it's doomed, it's quickly becoming a non-OS :)

I don't buy into the fact that it's being replaced because it's a 'normal' release rate.. Just let it go Shaf, your OS purchase is doomed, it's all doomed :)

As to upgrading from XP - I do know that it's possible to upgrade Win7 RC1 to Win7 RTM, a simple edit of a file on the install DVD is all that's needed, i know as i've done it. What i don't know if this same edit allows an upgrade from XP though.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  2. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

The program runs outside of Windows and works fine when booting from CD. You would need to make the thumb drive bootable and run it from command line and have a mobo that can be set to boot from USB....I keep a few CD-RW's around when I dont want to deal with all that trouble.

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i never bought it :p

4. mike09198

mike09198 Member

I thought Win 7 uses the same amount of RAM as Vista with 1GB.

I do have a question on Win 7 and I hope I'm not breaking any rules by asking this. But I download Win 7 RC back a few months ago but never installed it since I wanted to use a old PC (meaning 1-2 years ago).

I now have one and want to install it but I saw that the download RC is no longer avaiable. However, since I downloaded it previously I can still install it on this PC to test it out correct? Or because the deadline has pass I have lost my chance?

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

Excellent post mate!! I'll be looking forward to this one.... CREAKS expect a PM or two from the slow GM. :)

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

Argggghhhhh.... yesterday was talk like a pirate day.. hehehe. :p

7. mike09198

mike09198 Member

CREAKS expect a PM or two from the slow GM. :)[/quote]

? You lost me....

On a side note I did run a fix-it hardware test and it came back saying my video RAM failed. I could see that if it only shut down on games but to do that with a program that is based solely on CPU?

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

mike, you can still try out that win7 till next year.

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

? You lost me....

On a side note I did run a fix-it hardware test and it came back saying my video RAM failed. I could see that if it only shut down on games but to do that with a program that is based solely on CPU?[/quote]

Thanks for your post... then I was adding that "the slow GM" (greensman) might be bugging CREAKY for some help. ;) Hope that clears it up. ;)

10. mike09198

mike09198 Member

Thanks for your post... then I was adding that "the slow GM" (greensman) might be bugging CREAKY for some help. ;) Hope that clears it up. ;)[/quote]

Lol much, sorry I haven't had my coffee this morning.

11. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

On the subject of OS, look at my AutoGK log in the picture.
    [​IMG]
    I'm still running Win7 build 7100. The second line of the log says Vista 7100. Everything works well so I'm not complaining. I think its funny that Microsoft and others say "Oh its a totally different OS blah blah" and most users say it is what Vista shoulda been blah blah. Things like this though make it easy to see that in the end its marketing, advertising and big business making the consumers buy the same thing in a new and improved package blah blah.

12. mike09198

mike09198 Member

Ok I'm trying Win 7 RC 7057 and I can't get my wireless card to work. I've try adding new drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling.

The card is a Netgear WG311v3 any ideas how to get my wireless back?

13. mike09198

mike09198 Member

Outside the network not working the OS does seem to be quite a bit faster than XP. However, I would think my game Doom 3 would look even better in DirectX 11.

This was not the case at all. The lighting was brighter but it caused the charcters to be very blocky no textures at all just a flat wash.

The best I could describe it is it looked like a PS one FPS. Very very poor. Next I tried Far Cry and the game wouldn't even load. It was saying I was missing a DLL file. Yet I load it in Win XP and it played fine.

Couldn't try a AV scan since couldn't put one on without the net. Some of my software didn't work but expect that since many won't put out drivers.

So far I was not impressed by this at all. I even tried to disable the digtal signatures to see if that would work and nothing. So unless they fix this it looks like I'm still staying with XP.

14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I'd not noticed that in the logfile before. But i am one of those who say 'Win7 is what Vista should have been', but i only say it as it's the truth :)

Mike, RC1 doesn't begin shutting down on you 'til March next year i think.

edit- yeah, it's March next year ~ http://gizmodo.com/5240677/windows-...down-every-two-hours-months-before-expiration

Netgear WG311v3 are quite common so you should be able to sort that easily via google, you probably just need Vista drivers. Can't help much now, eldest broke her leg this afternoon and only just got back from hospital, so for once i have something more important to do than forums :)
    I hear what you say about not going on the net until you have an AV installed, that's why we save things like that to USB sticks etc :)

And re the wireless, put it this way, on Puppy Linux i haven't had to faff about with wireless or any other drivers, everything just works straight from the install across 6 machines, 3 of which are laptops using Belkin wifi PCMCIA cards, in my experience with my 2 Win7 builds Win7 is a doddle for wireless and everything else. Can't comment on PC gaming as haven't done that since Victorian times, that's what i buy games consoles for..

edit- re WG311v3, see if these help ~
    http://forums.ebuyer.com/showthread.php?t=44853
    http://forums.ebuyer.com/showthread.php?t=40249

15. mike09198

mike09198 Member

Netgear WG311v3 are quite common so you should be able to sort that easily via google, you probably just need Vista drivers. Can't help much now, eldest broke her leg this afternoon and only just got back from hospital, so for once i have something more important to do than forums :)
    I hear what you say about not going on the net until you have an AV installed, that's why we save things like that to USB sticks etc :)

And re the wireless, put it this way, on Puppy Linux i haven't had to faff about with wireless or any other drivers, everything just works straight from the install across 6 machines, 3 of which are laptops using Belkin wifi PCMCIA cards, in my experience with my 2 Win7 builds Win7 is a doddle for wireless and everything else. Can't comment on PC gaming as haven't done that since Victorian times, that's what i buy games consoles for..

edit- re WG311v3, see if these help ~
    http://forums.ebuyer.com/showthread.php?t=44853
    http://forums.ebuyer.com/showthread.php?t=40249[/quote]

Thanks for trying to help but that still didn't work. In fact instead of making it work in Win 7 lol but instead it disable my Win Xp so now I lost wireless on XP.

So I had to go back to my old configurations just to get it back. I tell you netgear wireless card is being a big pain in the ***.

If those don't work am I stuck waiting for the release date now?

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I wouldn't say your stuck buddy. I had serious trouble getting my printers working in windows 7, but eventually...they fell inline LOL! In fact I had a few challenges. GTA IV wouldn't run very easily on the Beta release(Depending on install order). But it also succumbed to my diehard stubbornness! LOL! Im sure there is a fix out there for you too.

17. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I hope they fixed their printer issues for the final release of win7. Getting it to recognize my networked printer unbelievably difficult, it felt like I was working with CUPS lol.

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I wouln't say THEIR printer issues. Printers always ever have needed catered/fashioned drivers from the manufacturer, to run properly. Lots of people are having network/NIC issues. My brother and I included...hopefully the motherboard/NIC manufacturers have caught wind of this, and have a fix in the works :) Or perhaps even Microsoft.

19. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I have never had problems with XP, in fact I just installed my networked printer earlier this evening in less then 10min. The same process took over an hour in win7 because the OS refused to see the printer. Maybe I've just been lucky with XP, never will know.

The reason special drivers are needed for printers (not to mention a lot of the are multifunction these days) is, hope I can word this properly, the communication between the OS and the device is device dependent. It would be unreasonable to expect a company like M$ to make their software work "out of the box" with a printer and if they did I can't imagine how bloated that software would be.

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I don't know about networking printers. Never needed to. I've only connected two computers once, via an ethernet crossover cable. I do things on a need to basis LOL! I was quite impressed originally with windows 7. The only thing that wouldn't work on the first install was the Epson Twain driver. They should be aware of this. I don't believe it works right with vista either. I hadn't even installed the scanning utility, and the new MS paint was ready to use the scanning abilities of the printer. Thats what I use to this day. Unfortunately, Photoshop requires the Twain driver to import from scanner.

Microsoft is not responsible for each and every device that hits the market. Although I think they try and keep up. Its epson, Hp, Lexmark, etc. Its their responsibility to update their drivers, accordingly. Or rather, pay microsoft a royalty, to say that its windows 7 ready!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.