1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike09198

mike09198 Member

Hey guys I had a question about performance of CPUs for a old Mobo. As many know I'm building a new PC so I'm going to give my current PC to a family member.

However, they want me to put in a quad CPU. I tried to explain to them that the M2N-SLI deluxe board only has a 2000/1600MT/s.

With current CPUs of AMD having HT of no less than 3600MHz I told him that it would cause the CPU to bottleneck.

Not only that but aren't the Phenom over the 800MHz RAM? So that would down hurt a CPU more than just leaving the current CPU in right?

If so, how could I explain it to him so he can understand that putting a quad-core would have the same performance as a 5600+?

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

if thats not an am2+ mobo it wont even run any of the quads, iicr

sam anadtech have said used drives have a big performance loss

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I read the graphs - "big" is relative. yes, it's a big performance loss, but compared to using a mechanical drive (especially with large number of files and fragmentation) it's relatively small, and as said, with TRIM it can be corrected.

4. mike09198

mike09198 Member

No it's just the old AM2 boards I mean I could flash a new bios for it and it will run since I look the board up to see if it could be done.

But I still think it would be a mistake.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Only an original phenom, which use so much power they may potentially damage the voltage regulators and most original phenoms, apart from being poor value for money, are also slower than the 5600+ (per core). In general, it's a waste without a new board as well - get a new board and either an AM2+/AM3, 775 or core i5 based system (the latter will require new RAM as well)

6. mike09198

mike09198 Member

Ok cool I didn't know that. I knew the new Phenoms were only 65nm and one being 45nm but didn't know they changed that much. I'll now be able to explain that to them and hope that does it. Thanks

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    It's the Seagate that has the Sata 6.0GB/s. I think it's official launch is next Monday!

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. mike09198

mike09198 Member

Back to my overheat problem and think I found out what was wrong or just playing a small part.

I notice that my CPU was jumping from 26C to 46C in less than 10 mins of Far Cry that caused the shutdown. I booted back up and open my case and touched my heatsink (artic cooler 64) it wasn't ice cold but it wasn't hot either.

I wouldn't even say warm it was just a tad over cold if you know what I mean. I found out that my daughter bumped into it and I'm thinking it caused the heatsink to become unseat. But I don't put much stress and it keep going so I think it's just a tad off.

Problem is I need to buy some thremal paste since I lost mine in the move =(.

This is what I don't get my CPU use to get to up to 60C even 65C no problem before shutting down.

But I'm thinking the lack of cooling is causing the processor to work hard that is causing the PSU to work doubletime and causing the shutdown. Or am I just looking too much into it and a new PSU will solve everything?

Lol I tend to overanalyze so I always ask others if that tends to be the case on certain problems.

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

Mike that could be it and just an easy fix. ;) Buy some AS-5 or OCZ-Freeze... both are good and the old stand by AS-5 is used by all of us at one time or another. :)

OCZ Freeze

AS-5

MX-2

I've used all of those with success... good luck to you... ;)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Sorry russ. The way your wording was, in reply to sam, it seemed like you were talking about the Western digital drive. :p

11. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

what you think about this greensman ? not to many reviews
    cooler master

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

If it's the stuff that comes on the heat sinks I don't particularly like it. It works but I like the other products better as they are proven and I've used them all. ;) hth........ :)

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GM,
    I've been using the MX2, which is the stuff that comes pre-applied on all Arctic Cooling heatsinks. I've been using it since right after it first came out. It doesn't dry out or cure, so you get good temps from the get go! Arctic Silver 5 works almost as well, and Ceramique works very good too, but I don't recommend it for anything but Intel's CPUs, as it can easily pull the CPU right out of a ZIF socket when removing the cooler. Ceramique is best for Intels and chipsets! The big plus with both Ceramique and MX2, is that they are totally non conductive, and can't hurt anything if you apply a little too much. Cleans up easily with alcohol too! You have to be a bit more careful with AS5, as you can short something out on the MB! Doesn't happen often, but it does happen!

Before someone points it out, the particles of silver that make up AS5, offer the best heat transfer, but the particles that make up Ceramique, and MX2 while not as thermally efficient as silver, are smaller and have many more particles per sq. inch, so they all cool about the same!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

@Russ,
    You do realize I was commenting about his (bigtwilly's) question on the Cooler Master paste/grease right? OH... and that MX-2 is on the list I gave for Mike?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I have to say with all the extra stuff added in, the huge data size and speed, the possible running temperatures of that Seagate drive alarm me. Seagate drives already run much hotter than other brands, and when you add all that stuff on top it could get quite scary.
    Mike: If your CPU is only 46C (a 20C rise in 10 minutes isn't unusual) then it's not causing your shutdown. It sounds like a PSU fault to me. If your CPU doesn't reach 60C, then there isn't any 'lack of' cooling on the CPU's part, that's working fine.
    Gm, Russ, Will: I've used OCZ Freeze and Arctic Silver V of the newer pastes (and some pretty dodgy old generation ones) and I think I prefer the OCZ Freeze for performance, but the Arctic for application. The mega-thick white paste stuff is an absolute git to apply without it bursting all over your board's other components, and non-conductive or not, if some ends up deep down in a PCI express slot, you will still have severe issues.

Gm: I'm sure he does, I think what Russ is trying to say is that not all pre-applied pastes are bad. Just all except Arctic's! lol

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  16. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yeh I'm sure you're right Sammy but I never know with Russ. ;)

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GM,
    Yes I do realize that, and I did see the MX2 listed. Not all pre applied Thermal pastes are bad! That's why I commented on it! MX2 comes pre applied on a number of CPU coolers, besides Arctic Cooling's. It works equally well either as pre applied or manually applied compound. It's also the most consistent I've ever used. I've never had to remount a cooler using it, or had temperature issues with it. I probably use it 100 or more times a year!

Russ

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Never had any grief with AS5 (other than after about 10 cooler reseats with the same paste!) but I must only have used thermal paste 20 or so times in my life, versus your several hundred...

19. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

mx3 is out now :D

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

couple things here.
    got the new WD2500AAKS hdd up and running. main OS on this and a few programs thats all thats going on here. man is this this fast...

now all i need is one of them WD 1tb drives OM7 loves... what ya think 1 or 2 of them??lol naw gotta get my mobo and case then i can put everything together and have both puters up and running. getting my E8400 back up and running. maybe at this speed.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=722706

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.