1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

lol, there are a few Canadians around here and i just thought they would want to know.

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The padding or thermal padding is supposed to melt when heat is applied to complete the contact between the two surfaces. It can only be used once. That being said it is still not as good as a decent thermal paste.

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The padding is supposed to go AROUND the die. Why would it melt if it's not touching the die itself(in optimal circumstances). In my motherboard it was.

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

yep, its caus the chip is raised higher than the green stuff that holds it, so they use padding to even it.

its on my p5k-e aswell

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yes, it's also on my gigabyte heatsink. The problem is with the alignment. The die was touching the padding, and it shouldn't have been.

So I took the padding off. I hope it doesn't have a detrimental effect.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    Well you better because my DS3R came from the factory with AS/Ceramique on both the NB and SB, and were very well installed! Temps were exactly the same after cleaning and using AS-5 on both heatsinks which is why I'm 100% sure that what was used, was Ceramique originally!

I see a lot of that repairing computers. I had a P5Q (the cheap one) that was reporting 56C for the MB. I had to pull the MB so I could remove the Heatsink from the NB. The stuff Asus used was hard and covered less than half of the heatsink! I cleaned everything and put the heatsink back in with AS-5 and the temps dropped to 39-41C!

So who are you going to blame? The Customer? It's not a question of defeat! There's a historical reason that the first Mod we do before we install the MB is the Heatsinks. It's simply an accepted fact that 90% of the motherboard manufacturers do a crappy job with the heatsinks. Just because it's Asus and it's a high dollar MB means nothing! It's simply an area that many MB manufacturers, including Asus just gloss over and don't worry about. Even my 965P-DS3 had lousy thermal paste, but at least it "was" applied correctly!

So you can admit defeat, if that's the way you feel, or you can accept an annoyance that doesn't really bother anybody to begin with. It's Asus fault, but nobody cares! LOL!! At it's worst it's just a minor annoyance, but again, no one cares! It's just accepted!

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well, the TIM used on my DS3R was pretty crappy too. Maybe you just lucked out?

8. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

russ, your replying to somethign i didnt say. HAHA

i was sayign i wouldnt admit defeat to boozer, becuase he said it wasnt that the TIM was crap, it was that it wasnt fully covered. thats what i wasnt goign to admit defeat to.

and i just shouted out BLAME ASUS TIM to boozer, to back up that. my god russ you take everything so personally, when it didnt even concern you, or your precious gigabyte. i admitted asus used crap TIM, because i knew it when i changed my asus TIM to OCZ FREEZE, and it drop temps by alot, and caused any instabilities to be stable, and now im running FBST and NB and PLL voltages alot less than i was w.o changing the TIM.

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

it's hit and miss. brand and expense of the mobo have nothing to do with it. I've seen a lot of difference between even the same model of mobo.

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

shaffaaf, watch it!

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    No idea! Mine was pulled from the line so it was totally random! The whole point is, you have to remove the heatsinks to see if they are on right, so you have to re-do it to begin with. The only fault lies with the MB manufacturer, regardless of who it is! Everybody that knows anything about motherboards re-does them anyway, so no one really cares! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The padding is supposed to go AROUND the die.[/quote]

No a thermal pad is a substitute for thermal grease or paste and it's supposed to be attached (kind of glued) near the center of the core. It is intended to be sandwiched between the heat sink and the core and when it's heated up it performs a similar function to thermal paste.

Here is an image of a thermal pad.

[​IMG]

follow this link and read the pdf.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26951.pdf

If you are talking about something else then be more expicit.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    Had I had a way to know that, I wouldn't have taken it in such a funny way! LOL

You Said:
    It wasn't @ anybody and I seriously thought you were joking! Mort summed it all up! You get what you get regardless of who makes it! Some will be better made than others, even in the same model run! There's nothing personal involved at all!

Sincerely,
    Russ

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I could be wrong but I think he was refering to the foam filler that sits down around the outside of the actual chip (has a square hole in the center of the foam where the chip is) on some mobos. the foam also contacts the heatsink base.

I too have seen where a good portion of the thermal pad/paste is on the foam as opposed to the actual chip.

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

That makes sense, although I've not seen any that was actually on the chip itself.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    Any good builder knows that heatsink Thermal Paste is usually crap on most motherboards! It's just an automatic "Must" to re-do them before installing the MB! I never even think about it, I just automatically do it!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I don't mean a thermal pad. I know what a thermal pad is. This is NOT a thermal pad. Therefore it should NOT be touching the die.

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

IT was the bolded words that led me to believe you were discussing a thermal pad. When you said "on the padding on the heatsink" my mind immediately thought of thermal pad.

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well it's like foam. It goes around the area where the die is supposed to touch the heatsink. So it's not actually supposed to touch it. Anyway, so I took it off now.

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

No big deal, I get you now. Sometimes we all get lost in semantics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.