1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I Can't stand any less than 3 Hdd's in my tower. Makes multitasking a breeze :D Im not suggesting getting 3 Fals drives though LOL! I have one in one tower, and one in my secondary. Though I suppose I would like another for archival purposes ;) Perhaps when the new 2Tb beast comes down a bit. Or I'll simply wait for SSD to come down substantially. By the way, the secondary towers OS runs of the FALS drive MUCH nicer than I expected. I've always treated the drives as storage drives. But I thought I would give it a shot running an OS. Its doing wonderfully LOL! :D In fact i'd say it runs as well as the VelociRaptor!

Though they do start to slow down when Fragmented, and reaching full capacity...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

and as if by magic, in a month or two's time my gaming PC will make the transition to three drives, the newcomer being of all things, the WD1001FALS :p - I will probably swap the 37GB Raptor for an Intel SSD at the same time.

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well defrag them bad boys... damn id hate to defrag a 1tb drive thats at near full capacity....lol what a 16hour defrag...

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Is this Intel SSD you speak of, SLC SSD? LOL, so many acronyms so little time... ;)
    Actually, it defrags in about 2.5-3Hrs...

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not the regular man's one (the X25-M) no. The X25-E, however, is.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I think my eyes are gonna be trained on the Intel ssd. But first, the Dell monitor LOL!
    My FALS drives defrag in under 3Hrs provided they're not beyond 75% capacity.

7. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

I just checked my 320GB Samsung and it has 67GB of fragmented files :(
    I really need a new drive mines 30GB from full but then I also need some way if backing it up instead of 'dicing with death' as I am now =/ All these TB things are wayyyyyyy beyond my budget....

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Haha just got my hands on a free Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop. 2.4Ghz P4, 768MB of RAM, Radeon 7500 64MB, 60GB HDD. It was a junked laptop with an overheating problem. Did a full teardown and rebuild with new TIM on the CPU and it runs like new. Did a reformat with XP SP3 and it's just fine for homework and web browsing. Gets a little warm but not too bad. Not to mention it has integrated wireless so it picks up the network at school. Plus, it's fun to play with :p

9. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

=/ hmmm I just noticed the 25GB in my recycle bin....

lol it would seem my sixth-form has copped out form giving us the free EEE PC's they promised us in an attempt to get us to sign-up. Something like that would do great as an alternative :)

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Omega: 3 hours is a lot. Use a third party defrag like AusLogics, not the windows one. Auslogics rarely takes much more than 50 minutes to do a large drive.
    keith: 1TB drives are amazingly cheap now really, and £ or $/GB the 1TB and 1.5TB drives are actually the best value for money right now.
    Jeff: I sincerely hope that isn't one of the Northwood ones - those things were outrageous, they practically ran on magma with 8000rpm (yup, 8000) 40mm fans to cool them, which usually ran at full speed due to the incendiary temps.

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

My drives get extremely fragmented. I won't go into that LOL! I use Iobit's smart defrag. I like the way it works. I haven't used windows defrag in over a year :) And actually, compared to the 5000AAKS drive, thats fairly quick...

12. FredBun

FredBun Active member

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I find it interesting that a lot of the comments there are just slagging Seagate off for reliability...

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    It looks like the Seagate haters are out in force! For a drive that large I would have to have two of them, Duplexed into a Raid 1 Mirror, with a separate controller for the mirror drive! Without some sort of redundancy, I would never risk losing that much data all at one time! Just my opinion, of course. I can't imagine how long it would take to completely wipe a drive that large!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. mike09198

mike09198 Member

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's free. Permanently.

17. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Seagate lover myself. Never had a failed Seagate drive but I have had 2 failed WDs so mileage may vary :p

@Sam

Yep I'm pretty sure it's a Northwood. It gets pretty hot but not too bad compared to what it was before. I want to see if the Laptop will take a Prescott Celeron D but I doubt it as it didn't work with my 2.8GHz HT Prescott P4. In fact I'm not sure if it supports Prescotts at all. I can't even find out the BIOS revision because there's a password set and AFAIK no way to reset it on this laptop.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Surely a northwood P4 is better than a prescott celeron?

19. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yeah but the Celeron D will run cooler, use less power, and should still be fine for anything I do with it. And remember the difference between the 2 P4 Celerons. The Prescott based Celeron D is a different beast than the Northwood based Celeron.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd be surprised, I would have thought the Prescott architecture would mean it running hotter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.