1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Sorry but I'm not talking to you...
    The Charlie master says I can't
    'I hate Macs. I have always hated Macs. I hate people who use Macs. I even hate people who don't use Macs but sometimes wish they did.'

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

lol i like the OS, shoot me :p

3. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Ok.
    What's your address?

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I don't hate them i just find them irrelevant. I've only ever seen them in use in marketing departments personally. I'm not the sort of person who feels his life is lacklustre or lacking without Apple products, i just don't fall for all the hype and marketing :p plus i honestly don't have a valid need for anything with an Apple badge on it. Why would i when there's a suitable alternative made by everybody else out there.
    My eldest has an Ipod, just because 'it looks nice'; i blame the parents

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

creaky, i guess you can look at yourself in the mirror for that.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I just had my hopes and dreams crushed this morning. 3 hrs of work in photoshop...and its all gone! Whether it was photoshop or the display driver, I do not know. I do know that I constantly get the display driver issues. Let this be a lesson to all, to SAVE your work when its important, and lots of time has been spent LOL! Im so angry, I don't even want to start over yet. And its my own fault LOL! Even a 50,000$ dollar super computer isn't perfect! :) Not that mine is a 50,000$ rig by any means. I think there is maybe 2,000$ in my rig. Money well spent too :D

Adobe...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, give the program a way to remind us to save our documents. I would be on cloud 9 :) Obviously a way to shut that off for people that find that function irritating, would be good too.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Or you know, just save your work every minute like I do.

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

When I get SO into a job, sometimes I don't think about doing it. Besides, I don't think it will save Pencil anchor points :p And when you've got close to 1,000 clicks... SUCKS! Big time LOL! So the thing to do in this case, is save the selection. Since im working on selections that is. Time goes by so quick when working on some of my documents. I must have spent between 2-3 hours working on it. Since my adobe experience has been relatively good, I usually don't worry too much about saving. NOW I will LOL!

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So why exactly are you getting display driver errors?

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I plan on updating tonight if there's an update for it. Yes, there is. Im running 190.38, and it appears they have 190.62 now. Hopefully that will fix the bug. The bug generally happens without warning SOMETIMES, and during photoshop, and Dvd shrink. The reason being during Dvd shrink, is because windows 7 has to deactivate Aero, to display a mode properly in Dvd shrink. It doesn't happen during photoshop very often. It would appear that the Photoshop crash was isolated to Photoshop for once. It might have something to do with how much Ram, and Pagefile i've allowed it(I allow it to remember 300 previous changes). But others do that, so perhaps not.
    The error says that "my Display driver has encountered a bug and recovered." It usually happens at least once a day. I hope that its communicating with MS LOL! Maybe they'll get to the bottom of it :)

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I must admit, turning Aero off was where most of my display driver issues came from, they can still happen on occasions, I think that's actually more to do with windows 7 than the display drivers themselves.

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well then, Im not the only one. Good LOL! Thanks for the info. :)

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The only time I have to turn Aero off usually is to play Kega (Sega Genesis/Megadrive emulator) as it requires 16-bit colour, which Aero doesn't allow.

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ahhh, yep yep. ;)

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ha ha! Guess what. My mother gave me an 800$ figure, said "Go for it" and i'm already hard at work looking into what I want to build for her. She's a pretty easy person I'd imagine. Lets put it this way. She's currently running a pentium 4 2.0Ghz Gateway rig, not sure on the motherboard(Intel I think), an 80Gb WD 8Mb cache HDD. So...what ever I build here thats at least somewhat modern is gonna blow her mind LOL! I'd like to try and keep that closer to 600 though, because she'd like a new monitor as well. Im thinking a 20" 1680 Res monitor will do her nicely.
    She wants to keep the old rig intact for someone else, so I have to rebuild from scratch. Tower, Monitor, etc. I'll post again in the morning, with my entire thoughts on the build. After i've had my coffee that is :p
    This is the board im thinking of currently. Until tonight, i'd never heard of these north and southbridges LOL!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128397

16. FredBun

FredBun Active member

omegaman7, that sucks losing your stuff doesnt it, I also get a lot of that driver problem, my pc keeps getting that bluescreen of death as people call it often, than you get that error message, you need to update your drivers etc. yeah right, a hundred drivers or more and your suppose to figure out which one is causing a problem, once I posted a long comment here on AD, it took me an hour to write, to think of it, to correct the spelling etc. than that damn blasted bluescreen again, was I pissed, never posted again, just said screw it. That problem comes and goes, once I had to manually restart over 20 times before the pc finally loaded, sosmetime after the bluescreen you get the blackscreen with instructions, on and on than you might get lucky and finally load, what a pain.

So you got an approval with 800 bucks huh lol, lucky you, that will be fun, with 800 you should be able to build little monster, good luck.

17. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Omega,

That board looks fine. I'm using its older cousin the GA-MA78G-DS3HP in my LAN box and it's a great board. It's basically the exact same thing as a 780G but it has more refined power management and ACC. In fact it would probably be overkill for your mother. I'd say get it and build a budget powerhouse around it.

You can drop in this CPU or similar and it would blow her away and last her for years.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103688

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Im sorry your having trouble fred. That really sucks! Blue screens can be caused by a multiple factors. Hardware(E.g. Ram), corrupted registry, corrupted Dll files, etc. My very first blue screen was caused by a damaged sound card. I was extremely newbish at the time, and didn't know what to do. I took it to the shop. When they told me what it was, I was like What! It just didn't seem possible to me at the time, that a measly sound card could cause such a problem. I ended up paying over 50$, and all they probably did was remove the card, and attempt to start it up. Ever since that day, I've been hell bent on troubleshooting my own problems :) It definitely helps to have a second pc, for the STOP error given by the pc.

http://support.microsoft.com/ This link apparently could help. I've not had another blue screen since that day. Thank goodness LOL!

Thanks for the opinions Estuansis. I am considering that particular processor. But im also wondering if a quad could be a good thing for her too. I have seen dual cores in windows that would lag, but I've never seen a quad lag before. I've only ever seen a quad lock up due to bad OC settings, and usually windows restarts itself at that point. And since she'll likely be running windows 7 one day, i'd like her to get the most out of it :)

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I might now be considering 965BE. For myself that is LOL! And then she can have my 940. I am aware that I'll have to flash my bios to F7. I wonder what peoples opinions are as to how much performance boost, over the 940BE. While im sure most people think 245$ is a bit steep, IS IT? LOL! I suppose I have my answer to that. If both me and my mother spend 122.5$ on a processor, both of us are happy :) I get the next step up, for half price, she gets more than she originally planned for.
    Is the 965 worth the upgrade from 940?

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I wouldn't say the 965 is fast enough to justify the upgrade. You have a few hundred MHz higher OC room and not much else. I'm not even considering upgrading my 940 and I run Crossfire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.