1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks for the feedback buddy :) It does resemble her gateway colors wise...so she should think its a reasonable replacement.

2. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

LOL I love how your logic worked in that statement ^

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

She's my mother and I love her dearly, but she is in fact a woman. She'll probably find something about it she doesn't like LOL! Im simply trying to be logical about it.

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

My folks always used old computers, my old P3 castoff Compaq SFF ex-work machines or the odd old P4, my dad was fine with any ond thing just as long as the internet performed fine, ma would complain if the computer was sluggish though. So back when i bought the first Dell Optiplex 745 (C2D 2.13GHz) i bought one each for the folks as the seller had a few brand new. Folks couldn't be happier with the machines, even though they're way overpowered for what they need.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A velociraptor in your parent's PC? Interesting choice to say the least. If I were you I'd get a slightly better case like a Centurion RC532 or something, and a slightly cheaper HDD, something like a Caviar Black maybe?

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Me ?, i actually have no idea what discs are in them, i know they're 160GB and fast as whatsits, but as they've been fault free in the 4 Optiplexes i'd never bothered to check what they are.

edit
    ~ they're Seagate Barracuda ST3160815AS.

edit- a-ha i thought so , you were referring to Oman7's choice. He'll be fashioning a PC for his ma based on his own spec then :), my folks don't need nor care for such details/requirements, they're pensioners, well my Ma is anyways.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! The VelociRaptor is a bit over the top I know. My experience with it has been sooo good I thought she would do well with one too. But since you bring it up...Im now thinking about a black drive for longevity. Lets face it. The Raptors are fast drives, but they ARE running themselves to death. Its an inevitability. I'll probably go with the WD5001AALS. She stores A LOT of picture files for all of her ebaying. I thought the Raptor would handle all of that indexing, and file searching better. And it would, but the AALS will probably suit her just fine.

The Case will not be my choice. It will be her choice alone. Im simply gonna choose maybe 6-12 models, and let her choose one.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So far so good for both my 3-4 year old 37GB Raptors, but hey, the caviar black has more than 6 times as much space for half the cost. Also, while the 750GB and 1TB versions aren't quite as fast, the 2TB Caviar Blacks boot windows faster than velociraptors.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I simply mean by logic. Look at an engine. Which one will survive longer:
    1. Stock motor
    2. Stock motor with Super charger running constantly

I love my velociraptor dearly, and I hope it lasts a decade. But it runs around the clock, so I won't hold my breath on that LOL! Honestly, if newegg had more of the 37Gb raptors, I'd probably pick one of those up...I don't think she needs much space. She needs both speed and reliability. But super speed comes at a price! I guess I could scour the web to find one ;) But it CAN'T be used.

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah, i've noticed that the FALS drive boots a bit quicker :)

You meant they're not as fast as the raptor...I think it boots pretty quick on my secondary. Probably twice as fast as my raptor. But the raptor is using over half its drive.

11. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

lol both engines should last the same (that is if they're built and maintained properly) :p
    Although the non-supercharged engine may be more prone to a build up of crud in the intake/exhaust systems more so then the supercharged.

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Wow, there's some reverse logic if I ever heard it LOL! And there's the other side of the coin, that didn't occur to me :p

13. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Unless you meant turbo charged? Which is an entirely different method of forced induction :p

Perhaps an engine with the rev limit removed vs one without would have been better way of saying it?

EDIT: Or is removing the rev limit more akin to OCing?

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I have a confession to make. I know absolutely nothing about cars. Its my belief that OVER powering something cuts the life from that something...LOL!
    I've heard that flipping the switch on a blower/supercharger immediately cuts the life in half...

15. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Yeah IF the supercharger is in fact far far too powerful for the engine to take in which the investment isn't worth it and you may as well keep it naturally aspirated and do something else.

And I doubt Seagate would whomph it up just for the laugh like some sort of.......

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's just it though. A Raptor is not a 7200rpm hard disk 'overclocked' to 10,000rpm, it is designed from the ground up to run at that speed. People would say the same thing about 7200rpm drives as opposed to the 5400, 4200 and 3600rpm drives that preceded them. You also have to remember that a lot of the hard disks powering datacentres run at 15,000rpm. Redundancy is of course paramount, but they're designed to last, longer than the standard desktop hard drive. The engine analogy isn't really that valid either - Honda type-Rs anyone? 8000rpm+ on some of them and they're pretty solid.
    I have absolutely no idea what that sentence means.
    keith has pretty much got you outsmarted on the engine front, and I'm sorry to say he's right. The extra intake pressure from superchargers helps to clear potential blockages, and the limirt of intake pressure is usually quite considerably higher than what you typically get for a normally-aspirated engine. only if you raise the boost limit on an already oversized turbocharger/supercharger is when you get real issues, and that's a pretty short-term scenario, it'll probably break the day you adjust it.
    I have never seen an 80GB raptor before, but it does exist, it's no hoax. It's from the year they modified the raptors to feature a native SATA cntroller with NCQ (2006) - older raptors are IDE drives with an internal IDE-SATA adapter and do not feature NCQ as a result. The WD800ADFD was initially just for HP/Dell systems but went retail later on due to popular demand, seemingly. It was still rare though, as it was essentially the same as the WD740ADFD and from what I can gather, no better at its job - since 2006 also saw the release of the WD1500ADFD, that's what everybody bought.

18. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Actually type R's are TURBOcharged or NA if that's what it was in reference to :p

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

What I meant by the sentence,
    You said that the 750Gb, and 1Tb drives are not quite as fast but the 2Tb boots quicker than the Velociraptor. I think my Fals drive boots at least a little quicker. I however have not ran REAL benchs on it as far as gaming, and Multiple installs. And the FALS is only using 20% of its drive, as opposed to 60% that the Raptor is. So im probably just seeing the FALS at its absolute best.

Well...you sure have a lot of faith in VelociRaptors. And you do make a valuable point about their being constructed properly with speed and Stability in mind. So they are pretty tough! Perhaps its simply the more audible noise that they make, that gets a guys attention LOL!

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Keith: I'm referring to the majority of NA ones like in the S2000. I don't see many Type-Rs that come factory turbocharged.
    Omega: As far as I can see, the 1TB and 750GB drives are marginally slower at booting windows than the velociraptor, but in general use I would expect the velociraptor to be greatly faster.
    If you think higher noise equals lower reliability, you're obviously unfamiliar with the 37GB Raptor, even louder than most of Seagate's offerings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.