1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! No joke eh. I guess im simply nervous given I have a 74Gb raptor sitting on a shelf, and I believe its got several corrupted sectors on it. But I bought it used on ebay, and there is no telling what the guy did to the poor thing ;)

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I bought a second hand 37GB for £5 off a guy at Fragsoc because it had reallocated sectors on it. Almost a year as my primary OS drive later, so far so good.

3. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

What was I thinking of! lol a turbo Honda ;)

I now need to block all car thought until I find a job all this stuff's just making me depressed that I can't afford to drive :(

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Are bad sectors typical of Raptors? I find this interesting. I have an 8 Yr old WD80Gb drive, with NO bad sectors, and still runs good. Perhaps the drives in question simply got small particles of whatever in the factory...

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

indeed :(

I've never been into superfast drives, any i've bought from new were bought for all other reasons ie reliability etc. Never once looked at warranties for a hard drive in my life, and still have quite a few drives that are ancient (any drives that have failed on me over the years have been driven over, chucked off high buildings etc, buried in a deep hole etc to ensure they stay failed). I've also never been interested in small but very fast hard drives for a boot disc, that seems to be something that only younger people are into, and i was never young :eek:

edit- apart from drives that died or were in God's waiting room (ie banging and scraping noises could be heard), i haven't had a hard drive with errors since the days of floppy drives. Apart from at work that is, where Solaris and/or the Veritas RAID software would alert you to problems, plus the hardware RAID arrays too. But most of the time that stuff is built to just shrug off the problems and keep going, real men's discs LOL :p

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Keith: Has happened, turbo retrofits to Type-Rs is quite common, sometimes not even in appropriate cars, example turbocharged integra engine in an original Mini...
    Omega: I'm not sure they're 'typical' as such, my original 2006 drive I bought from new hasn't suffered any.
    I try not to throw any HDDs away for the same reasons Creaky presumably goes to great lengths with them.

7. creaky

In future though, if ever i do have any drives that fail i will investigate whether they do have warranties, just in case it helps..

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! I can't see throwing away my 74Gb Raptor. Even though windows was encountering errors, DUE to the fact of the drive I THINK. I figured there may be some way of reviving it somehow later.
    Do drives automatically avoid damaged sectors??? I certainly hope so LOL!

I apologize for the newb question LOL! I get to chatting and easily space google!
    I found this interesting
    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1583&page=3

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Bad sectors come up under SMART as two separate identities:

'Reallocated sectors' (my case) - this means the spare sectors on the drive designed for just this purpose take over from the bad sectors.
    'Unrecoverable sectors' - this means the drive has used up all the spare sectors and there are now areas of the drive that cannot be accessed.

Only usually in the latter case do you experience any problems - but if you do have the latter case, you will get issues and need to replace the drive.

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

That clears things up. Thanks. Im gonna have to plug that drive in one day, see exactly what its problem is. Perhaps it would serve well for something...After a complete erasure, and reformat of course.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    There is no such thing as "small particles of whatever"! Not when a single particle of cigarette smoke can completely physically destroy the drive! They are all assembled in an OSHA approved Clean Room, so the likelihood of any small anything getting in a drive is extremely remote!

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah agreed, it's not going to be anything inside the drive, or it would fail QC, or at the very least be DOA. It could be a manufacturing defect, I'm not sure.

13. creaky

Yeah, as per Russ and Sam, modern hard drives heads are sealed in some kind of airtight thingummybob (technical term) i think, not like hard drives used to be, ie they used to be a bit like a gramophone stylus ie you could see the heads moving around between the actual platters and being as i've been around a few years i've seen the heads on a fair few big old ancient hard drives the size of washing machines literally crash into the platters and decimate them a few inches from your face. Fantastic to watch, until the boss walks past and asks you why you did it LOL. He kept such a straight face that first time, and i was a bit worried, though as i knew i didn't actually do it i started breathing again after a while, i was only 18 or so. Shame, i miss those days :p

edit
    - here's an example, for backups you would spin down the drives, unscrew the unit, take it wherever (i dropped at least one of those, heavy buggers too), then screw on another one, spin 'em all up then do some kind or remirroring if i recall correctly, then do the night's work. ~

[​IMG]

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks guys. Thats comforting to know :)

15. creaky

Yeah when heads crash nowadays you don't get stabbed by flying shards. Well you can if a CD explodes in a drive, but hard drives don't take their owners with them anymore. Progress eh.

16. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i've had a cd frag on me once but the drive kept all the pieces inside of it. scared the hell out of me as 1st & only time it has ever happened to me.

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! That'd probably scare the hell out of me! I've heard it talked about a few times, but can only imagine. As rare as it appears to be, It'd be pure chance it happening at all.

18. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

it went off with a loud bang. i pulled the power cord out then started to sniff for burnt componets which i didn't find. powered up the system it booted then opened the drive & saw my utility disk in pieces. shut it down, took the drive out, took the drive apart, dumped the broken pieces into the garbage, put the drive back together & it still worked. it was a custumer's computer with my disk in it.

19. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Also had a CD frag on me when ripping a music CD. Kapop!

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I suppose with how many Data backups I do, and movies I watch, its only a matter of time LOL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.