1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol it's alright.

I have all my parts not, except for the CPU and Tuniq tower.

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Actually thermal pads have improved quite a lot over the last couple of years. I still prefer to use thermal grease but here's some information regarding thermal pads and thermal grease in comparison.

If this hasn't bored you tears follow the link for more. I've been collecting information for a while to create a technology encyclopedia on my site, but one major factor has been missing. Enthusiasm!

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26951.pdf

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    It's a peel and stick load pad, usually stuck to the chip. It keeps the Heatsink from being rocked and possibly breaking the Die since they usually don't have a heat spreader. You'll have to be a bit more careful with it without the pad, not that I think you would break the chip, but it makes it much easier to mess up the Thermal Paste without the load pad in place as all that supports it is the Die itself! The DS3R had that problem, but it was caused by very weak push pin springs! An off center 3 1/8 x 1 3/4" heatsink with the load pad stuck to the heatsink. It took very little pressure on any corner to make it wobble something dreadful! Another reason I wanted the Enzotec CBN-R1 NB cooler! Maybe that's why it was Ceramique they used as it will rebond several times without causing heat problems! It also doesn't harden, which helps a lot!

Russ

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

That small enzotech works better than the gigabyte heatsink?

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

ARRGGGGHHH, Why is Asus so RETARDED!!!!

They didn't line up the memory slots on the board. Now I cant properly install the dominator memory fans because it wobbles.

6. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

my apologies Russ, didnt realise your were saying it in a jokey manner, and i take full responsibility. i was just replying to boozer and i was making him learn how crap asus are at TIM. they use the worst crap i have ever seen it was a bitch to take off as well. so hard i had to hold a full heat hair dryer to remove half of it, by which time my hand was burning due to the heat sink, and the rest to alot of credit card to take off. non of the ISO propanol i use worked, not did the arctic cooler 2 part solution for cleaning TIM. yes i like the asus board, their layouts, colours, Inability, stability, BUT why the hell do they have such crap TIM on an Ocing board, i dont know, not to mention their horrid (read non existent) email customer service. :(

and boozer, unlucky, but until the P5Qs, their low end boards are horrible to put it nicely. now event he P5Q normal one, is simply superb (for Ocing, stability), and for the price, cannot be beaten.

cant you give back the P5K pro and buy the P5Q? OR get a nice P35 GB board?

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I like the damn board. Plus it's not "low end" more like mid-range. It's still freakin pissed me off though. Plus I cant return it. Unless someone wants to buy it for 80 plus shipping.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    The temperature is the same with both, but the Enzotec pulls a lot more heat out of the motherboard (as Nuck said it would) so the CPU temp went down a bit too! With the 40mm Antec on it, it works perfectly! 2200 rpm, 6.5 cfm and 26Dba! Works very well with none of that high pitched scream most 40mm fans make!

Russ

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Midrange boards are the only trouble zone. we just refer to those as 'low end' in the face of brutes like the X48-DQ6 and Rampage Formula. My school has around a hundred cheap barebone systems that are all Asus, and only two of them had gone wrong in 3 years. However, midrange boards like the A8N-SLI SE, P5N-E SLI, P5K-SE, A8R-MVP, etc. hmmm...

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

IF it helps they don't seem to be real snug on any board but once they're seated they do work.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well I will try to see if they work. If not I'll give them away or something.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's actually quite impressive. As far as I'm concerned though, it doesn't include a power supply.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Hmm! I could use a back up PC, the three C2D's that I have, the two Opterons 170 and 175, The D45, and the CD2 laptop that I currently have might not be enough?:p

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    ROFLMAO!! We're so poor here, we only own 4 desktops and 2 laptops at the moment! LOL!! Still, add less then the $149 price tag to it and you have very fine backup computer that's plenty fast enough to do the job! It's always nice to have spare or two! LOL!!

sammorris,
    I'll reserve judgment on that until I can see what's in the one provided. As long as it's not dangerous, I'd probably stick with it! If it is P-Poor, Decent replacements are available cheap enough!

Corsair XMS2 PC2 6400 $34 after $25 MIR
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145175
    Arctic Freezer 64 $26
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125
    Seagate 250GB 16MB cache $60
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148262

Throw in a couple of fans and you're in business for cheap! Not a recommendation, but just what I would put in one for me! It still wouldn't be a bad deal at under $300!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Is it likely to be any good in a barebone that includes that many parts for $150?

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I saw that too and it is a good deal for the money. too bad the mobo doesn't have an AMD chipset. I'm staying clear of nvidia chipsets period.

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Russ

It is truly a good start for someone looking to get in and out cheaply, especially if they have an extra operating system and other parts on hand. Hmm! I have 3 matched pairs of corsair DDR2, two PCIe cards, 3 power supplies, a water cooling system (giving one away to the winner of Fantasy Football), 2 DVD RW drives both Lite-On, one CoolerMaster Centurion, but I will need a new hard drive.;D

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Understandable but the pre C2D chipsets by Nvidia worked quite well.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The nForce 4 was a good chipset, but I don't know about the nforce 5 as I never owned an AM2 CPU.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.