1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

bigwill68
    Question Will, why run it at 1680x1050, when it's best and native resolution is 1920x1080?

Russ

2. redice

redice Regular member

ok thanks

3. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Don't wanna look at too small of icons the next level is 1920 by 1080
    i'm ok with this setting...

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    Make the icons bigger! In tools I think! If not look in the help index under icons!

Russ

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

If I had the money I would check it out GM. Thanks for the tip though. She told me she was gonna have me build her rig soon. She hasn't forked over the green yet LOL! I hope the prices don't fluctuate too much. In fact, I told her she should wait til Black friday. With it so close now, she may just get a really good deal if she waits...

I don't understand why people would shoot for a 16:9 Resolution, when a 16:10 resolution has more vertical desktop space... I love my samsung :) Although it does have certain faults...

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

oMAN7... wish you lived nearby... we could do the Black Friday thing together... ME bride doesn't understand!!! ROFL. ;)

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! Ditto ditto ditto ;)

8. yusufkhan

yusufkhan Guest

Hi,

I intend to Set-up a New CPU...
    will be using my LCD..

Please Suggest me a Good Configuration for the PC..
    keeping the following in mind : Its for WORK,then Movies ..

I don't mind spending up-to Rs.25,000(CPU) (little here and there will also do upto 30k)

1. The most important factor for me is SPEED !!...need very fast start-up...capability to handle many apps...so give me the fastest i can effort
    2. Must be able to watch HD movies...i use my comp usually for work..then movies then Little play
    3. Lots of USB Ports ...i use many at one time..like..printers..cameras..ipod..mobile..blue-tooth..
    so i need the max ports available...
    4. I intend to use the IBALL-WORK HORSE(looks too good)...as the cabinet..so tel me its Price and hows it ?? and should i go for it..if not give me very good looking cabinet..
    7.I need the simplest keyboard...but a very good lookin and feature rich mouse...dont mind spending upto 2k on the mouse....logitect is preferred here (but your suggestion is also open)
    8.a Gud DVD drive
    9.a Gud replacement for my LCD for HD movies if i want to..(dnt include this expense in the budget)

Thank you...
    while replying please keep all my point in mind ...in short...speed..Usb ports..good mouse..

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm assuming you do realise that's not how monitor sizes work...
    1920x1080 (not 1920x1680) monitors are alright, but they are best for multimedia, not for games, as the resolution skew is very detrimental for everything else.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    My bad on the 1680 typo! It should have been 1080! I'm well aware of how monitor sizes work, but 1680x1050, 22" with a 0.283 Pixel Pitch doesn't make for a very high quality picture. Not compared to a 21.5", like the Asus that has a 0.048 Pixel pitch and 1920x1080 resolution. I've yet to see any 22" widescreen I would give house room! The picture quality I'm used to, just isn't there, and I get headaches using any of the 22" ones that I've tried so far! While they may not be for gamers, I can't see Oman7's Mom, playing WOW, or FC-2, can you? That's why the Asus would be the better choice for her use. Crisp clean text and most widescreen DVDs are 16x9 these days, which fills the screen nicely!

22" seems to be an oddball size for LCD widescreen monitors, as the only 22" Newegg lists with as good a picture as the Asus is actually a 21.5", and uses the same 16x9 LCD screen as the Asus! 1920x1080 has been tried on 22" monitors before. Acer had one, as did NEC and HP. My friend, Adam recently bought an Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen. I've recently downloaded a few 720P movies which look magnificent on my Sceptre (at 720P), that aren't near as good on his Acer. What appears crystal clear and Ultra sharp on mine looks very soft on his! You can turn up the sharpness, but it doesn't really help! It still lacks crispness! The larger Pixel Pitch is responsible for that! These 720Ps are better than anything save Blew-Ray. Here's a screen shot from "The Bucket List"!

[​IMG]

I've never seen a screen capture that good in my life. It looks exactly like what it is, an oil painting! Just Beautiful!

I'm curious as to your opinion on something Oman7 said. He mentioned his Mother having to get used to a different aspect ratio. I see nothing to get used to at all! For some reason, people have a hard time understanding the widescreens don't stretch the picture, they scale the picture to the particular aspect ratio of the screen being used, so you don't get stretched text or pictures. The only exception to that, that I can think of is wallpapers, and even then only because the aspect ratio has to be correct to start with, or the desktop will stretch the picture out of proportion!

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Admittedly, 22" 1680x1050 monitors aren't as sharp as 20" 1680x1050 ones, but they're still pixel-matched perfectly well, so you don't get any blurriness, and they certainly aren't dimmer like you were suggesting, as the lighting for LCDs is area based, not per pixel.
    22" 1680x1050 monitors provide a similar picture quality to most 23-24" 1920x1080 monitors that I've seen due to the cheap design, the size is almost irrelevant.
    To be fair, large aspect ratios are more difficult to work with than narrow ones. That takes some getting used to, the 11% difference between 16:10 and 16:9 isn't that big, but it would still be disorientating to people, at least at first.

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

am I wrong assuming that 16:10 is more standardized than 16:9. She needs work space, not an HDTV. She has a 50" plasma in the living room. She uses her computer for Ebay, and a game of solitaire every now and again. She currently uses a 17" CRT. She likes my monitor. She lights up everytime she see's it :)

13. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I'll wager she wouldn't know the difference :), i know my folks wouldn't. In fact reading all the above details re the different resolutions is just way over my head. All i know is that my 4 19" Samsung monitors do a max of 1440x900 and the 26" Samsung in the lounge does 1366x768 or something, well it would if the Win7 HTPC had drivers for it (no matter though as it's fine at 1024x768 - eventually i'll probably just get a gfx card as like most of my kit it's using onboard video - onboard plays most video formats including BR Rips which i have found a taste for ages ago, so knowing me i'll probably stay with onboard). Sorry but all the different modes just go over my head, you can tell i'm no gamer :)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Omega: No, 16:10 is widescreen standard for PCs, 16:9 is widescreen standard for TVs. 16:9 is of course more popular by volume, but for PCs, 16:10 has become the accepted standard.

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You basically just told me yes ;P

Unless you meant, NO, your not wrong to assume. Your right, 16:10 is the standard for pc's

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's what I meant (at least as far as PCs are concerned)

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah...she doesn't even watch that many Youtube vids, let alone Dvd's/Bd's. So a 16:9 seems wrong if you ask me. While im sure there are some nice ones...

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I didn't say dimmer, although it might well be! What I said is it lacks the crispness! The picture is good, but very much lacking in detail sharpness. It's like soft focus, but lacks definition!

The size is very relevant because a high quality 1080P screen would cost a lot more, and it's not worth it in the 22" range. Far too many cheap ones out there so a high quality 22", can't compete! Most people I know that moved from a 20" to a 22", were not happy with the picture quality. I've tested about a dozen 22" widescreens so far, and I find them all lacking, compared to what I already have. All of them hurt my eyes and give me a headache after prolonged (normal) use!

I can't imagine anyone having a problem getting used to 16x9 over 16x10. I went from a Very high quality (0.24 Dot Pitch) 19" 4:3 CRT, to a 20" lCD widescreen and it didn't have me going through any adjustment period! I didn't see anything to adjust to! I had the Asus 21.5 here for about a week, and it's an almost ideal size for any desktop, especially for older people like me, that play games occasionally. 24" LCDs are just too big and overwhelming. I can't hit a happy medium with my bifocals, even though they are double focal length because I play a lot of cards. It winds up being either overwhelming when close, or to hard to see because it has to be so far away for my regular glasses to focus on, that I can't see the print clearly!

In my opinion, the Asus 21.5" is the perfect solution for any desktop. It seems to me to be the perfect size. I know it is very easy on my eyes. In fact when I have all the keyboards, Swell pedals and Pedal Clavier hooked up and ready to play either of my organs, my monitor is my Music Stand, and the music is on the monitor screen, in two page mode. It changes two pages at a time, just like real sheet music! I have no problem seeing it at all! It looks the same to me as it does on my Sceptre. A little easier to see because of the larger screen, but pretty much the same otherwise! Watching any decent quality DVD will just blow you away, it looks so good! I started wanting one when they were $110 more than they are now, and at $159, I'm still wanting! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

is what you said. There's nothing in the 22" that doesn't light up, as it is all covered by a larger backlight to cover the extra size.
    22" 1680x1050 monitors do not give a soft focus. They provide a less accurate, more pixelated image. This would only appear as soft focus to those with weak vision (in which case, most things would appear as soft focus).

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thank you sam, for pointing out my fault in using a VGA connection for my 1920 Wide monitor. It got me thinking and looking closer at the screen. Text is NOT as sharp as it could be...Now im itching to run it proper via DVI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.