1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm fairly partial to VLC or MPC, but I've never tried Gom player. So I will give it a shot :) I'm always into trying new softwares. Especially if im on the eve of a reformat :p

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    What I particularly like is if it needs a codec, it takes you to Gom Players site, and more often than not installs the proper codec. It will play darn near anything! It also has full and comprehensive controls. You can adjust, just about anything to do with the Audio or video. None of that "Buy the Deluxe Version" crap like from real player, to get the adjustments!

http://download.cnet.com/GOM-Media-...786.html?part=dl-GOMMediaP&subj=dl&tag=button

Here's the download page!

Russ

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I like VLC but prefer MPC, which i havevia the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack. No need to go anywhere, for any codecs. Never tried Gomplayer.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

creaky,
    I agree that MPC is better than VLC, but Gom Player is better than both of them. When it comes to color, it's the difference between, say a Blue dress and a Blue dress that shows all the hues and textures of the fabric as well as the colors. It has superior controls for both Audio and Video. The only shortcoming I see with it, is the inability to play a movie from the last scene shown. That's really more of a minor annoyance, than a problem! Give it a try! I think you will like it!

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Jeff: By contrast, As far as I know of the 150+ MKVs I have, none have had ogg vorbis video. I've never even seen ogg vorbis video.
    Anyway, more on topic, I use Media Player classic as well, but with the CoreAVC codec, that really does make HD playback child's play.
    I don't care much for VLC either Russ, hence Media Player classic (not windows media player classic - there's a difference)being my player of choice)
    I've not tried Gom player but having compared the colour accuracy of MPC to a real Bluray, I'm verysceptical that the colour difference in it is accurate.

6. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i use kmplayer. no codecs needed. is brilliant

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not true. They're just integrated (and not every codec either. Nero Showtime is the same.

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I generally use Nero showtime. However, im liking the Gom player. I would make the switch IF, I get the blasted menu controls to work properly! My mouse has no effect on dvd menu controls... I'm noticing a volume level difference too. The volume isn't nearly as loud as Showtime. Yes, i've played with virtually every volume setting...

LOL! just found another setting :p

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  9. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

I use VLC for random video's and XBMC for DVD's and films and so on :)

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Just click preferences at the bottom middle of the Gom Player window, and you will find all the controls you will ever need! There is also 3 buttons on the bottom right. The middle one or F7 is for the the control panel. It's just the general options. The full controls are in the preferences!

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Boy oh boy do I love my little Pentium 4 craptop today. Managed to corrupt my XP install(long story don't ask) so I figured perfect time to jump to 7 right? So I go to school to get a disk and register on MSDN. Well I get home and the disk is corrupt :( Can't go get another till Monday so WTF right?

Well I go back to school and the teacher says I can rip an image if I want but she needs the disks there. Lucky me my little Inspiron 5100 came with a DVD drive :D Ripped an image and used "Win to Flash" to make a bootable USB and I'm golden. Currently using a fully registered final copy of 7 Professional 64 a week and a half before release XD

Man I love my school and I love my lappy. *hugs crusty old dell laptop*

Seriously it's everything I ever needed. Enough power to websurf and do my school work. Kinda heavy but I don't game with it.

BTW 7 kicks ass.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  12. creaky

No chance, all i can stomach on a P4 is XP or linux, Win7 was totally unusable on my HP Turion64 ML30 laptop so i didn't dare risk it on anything lesser personally.

But yes Win7 is great, it runs very smoothly indeed on my C2D E6400's

edit- oops, meant ML30 instead of ML40

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Mmm, I hate P4s even for XP, let alone Win7...

14. creaky

It is annoying using anything less than my C2D's now, but can't neglect all my older machines :)

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! My mothers gateway P4 runs like BEEEEEEEP! I feel really bad for it. I do :p Windows 7 is incredible on both my dual core and quad core. Definitely recommend a multicore in case a lockup happens. Its never locked up a full cpu :p

16. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Nonono, you guys got me wrong. The laptop is staying XP for good. Jeezus that would be painful XD My point is that it saved me the frustration of waiting till Monday to install.

I'm on a fully legitimate copy of Windows 7 on my CROSSFIRE DESKTOP. And it kicks epic amounts of ass. I think I've finally found my permanent replacement for XP :)

Last time I used 7 was early beta BTW. Now instead of being just "good", it's amazing. I'm in love with it. All the cool features of Vista with the performance and compatibility of XP. EXACTLY what I hoped it would be. EVERYONE GET IT WHEN IT COMES OUT.

Oh yeah my copy is fully legal and activated fine. And I got it for FREE!!!!!!!

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, not the performance or compatibility of XP, but still leaps and bounds ahead of Vista...

18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

It's much snappier than XP for me and the Crossfire scaling took a nice jump. Maybe not quite as lightweight as XP but it certainly takes much better advantage of your hardware. It games better, file transfer speeds and installs are faster, and it's not Vista. Nowhere near the problems as Vista. Even the file management and interface are easier to use. Than Vista or XP. They've really gotten it right this time.

Oh yeah, and it automatically loads your chipset drivers, which is just plain awesome.

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Were people honestly expecting the next OS to use less resources to run a better OS? I think in comparison, it does quite nicely. While XP can very decently run on 128Mb of Ram... Windows 7 runs about the same on 512. Now this may not be the same for everyone, but this is how it was for me. As software advances, so must our hardware...am I wrong?

By the way sam, Your technique for resetting the Lan Adapter worked last time :D It looks like the device or driver only partially loaded with windows 7 last time. Disabling then re-enabling corrected it this last time.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

By far the biggest plus!
    I just wish they'd put the 'display properties' tab back. I miss being able to change the resolution of my monitors... :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.