1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

lol, there's a few games not really worth playing X)

2. FredBun

FredBun Active member

omeg_you can get small ones from around one to two hundred, I also have a buddy that bought a small vacuum kit he got from a local Oreck vacumm store, it's a small kit that comes in a box with all kinds of small attachments, it works great with Orecks mini vac, you can connect it to it's intake or outake, he let me use it once and I was really impressed, it even states it's use for electronic and pc cleaning, it cost's around 30 bucks, besides it's great cleaning ability when you hook up the outake the air is dry and don't have to worry about moisture.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Always boils down to the money doesn't it LOL! Thanks for the info fred. Sure wish I had the money to shell out for multiple things that I want! And the second jobs not gonna pan out. Sucks to be me...
    Such a shame that 99% of the money making schemes we see online are complete BS. Guess im gonna have to dig deeper...

4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well air compressors compress just that, air. Nothing harmful in them. You do need to be careful of moisture though because compressors can get condensation in the tank after a while. The one I use is hooked to a separate regulator as my dad uses it to paint vehicles because it removes moisture from the air. This ensures the paint applies properly. As an added bonus I don't have to buy much canned air if at all and I can clean my PCs outside instead of blowing dust around the room :p

Canned air works good too but it only really has a minute or two of good blowing power and even then it just isn't that powerful. I can spend 5-10 minutes to thoroughly blast out ONE of my PCs. And when I say thorough that means full detailing on every card and sink plus removing the front panel and cleaning the drive bays. THEN, after everything is put back together, I plug in in outside, pop open the disk tray and give it a quick blast as well.

This reminds me of last time I did it. I hadn't gotten the PSU for a few months and when I finally did it blew out a big cloud of dust. I quietly reminded myself never to forget that again. I wonder if I've ever had any problems possibly related to an overheating PSU XD

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah...those darn PSU's are dust magnets! I should probably get after mine here pretty quick! ;)

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL Russ! My step dad shops there all the time. He knows exactly where it is. In fact we have 2 compressors. The type I was thinking about though is small enough to be mobile and not much (IF) louder than a vacuum. Basically something I can plug in near the computer and blow it out. I suppose thats just not the wisest idea though. Then the dust goes all over the place then. Better outside then IN LOL! So as long as I hold the compressor hoses 1.5 - 2ft away from the electrical components, I should be fine. I think I might just do that this coming weekend. No doubt its at least a little dusty in there. And the PSU is probably the worst, eh Estuansis LOL! ;)

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I hate to tell you this, but don't be such a fraidy Cat with the air hose. A little common sense is all it takes. Electrically there's no problem. I suggested that one becase I use mine all the time at the office for running handpieces and an air syringe. I'll see if I can dig you up one of those. It makes blowing out the computer an easy job. Much easier to move around inside a computer than an air nozzle on a blow gun, and much easier to control the flow of air. Connects to a standard 1/8" Barb fitting. I should have a few of them at work! I'll check and let you know!

EDIT: I also suggested the one I have because ours is six years old, and still runs like new. it's small enough and versatile enough to be used for just about anything. With the built in handle that's part of the compressor frame you just carry it like a suitcase. The type you are talking about are oil-less, and are a poor value. They don't last either!

Russ

9. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Omeg Russ is right on the money, it's mainly just common sense, actually I thought I was gonna get my butt reemed here for even suggesting using compressors, you won't find one article anywhere that will tell you to use a compressor, they even warn you against it, is it a sure 100% sure thing that nothing bad will ever happen of course not, but as I said common sense goes a long way.

I feel your concern about the bucks, if your a young man as I think you are and still with your parents than your probably on what's called a fixed income, I know I was there, than when you become an old fart and on social security your right back on being on a fixed income again so you definatly need to watch your money again.

From what I spent on those damn cannisters I could have bought that compressor Russ suggested twice, I've had a big one at home for years just never had the balls to use it because everybody says you can't till one day I had enough of those worthless cannisters as I call them and gave it a shot and never looked back. So in the long run you are saving money especially if you like to clean your PC's often.

When I first started using my compressor I was using the regular air nozzle which worked great, than as I was at my mechanics place one day and I noticed he had a couple PC's layed out in the garage I asked him what are you doing repair? he said no I'm cleaning them, than he pulled out that nozzle Russ was talking about, it's small in diameter 1/8 inch brass tube about 8 inches long, I noticed he emptied his tank by unscrewing the plug on the bottem which gets rid of most of the moister, man did that thing blow some air, and yes the PSU you would not believe what comes out of there balls of dirt the cannistors can't ever touch.

I bought one of those nozzles the very next day, what's funny is I bought it at the Harborfreight store at Franklin Mills not far from me as Russ pointed out, several years ago, so yes have been saving bucks that way, and with that nozzle you don't clean inside of course, you clean outside or the garage because that thing really blows, and last of course common sense.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Having tried an air can, I'm paranoid about the amount of moisture that comes out, so I'm avoiding them for now. A compressor would be handy, but frankly for the very (and I mean very) occasional use, I couldn't justify £20 of expense, let alone what compressors really cost. With all my PCs filtered to some degree, not living in a particularly dusty area with no pets or smokers nearby, while I can see airblasting beneficial for others, for me it just isn't worth it.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Finally got around to placing the order for my WD1001FALS and WD15EADS, and it's just as well I did it when I did - the WD1001FALS is now discontinued in the UK. Those in other countries may wish to put their purchases in sooner rather than later before they all disappear! As of yet I'm not sure what the drive is being replaced with.

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Perhaps its 2Tb counterpart is replacing the FALS 1Tb drive. Or perhaps SSD will take over sooner than we think. If they give us more affordable prices come christmas time, more people will buy them. If they at least TRY to bring the prices down, people like me can support the technology buying it...
    Are you listening Intel LOL!

13. redice

redice Regular member

are you all saying that its better to use a air compressor than the can air? it sure would save me some money in the long run.

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Indeed! I go through the 5$ cans of air like they're nothing. I don't like blowing on my blank discs for fear of spitting on them. And obviously one can of air won't blow my entire HAF 932 clean LOL! I'll be using a compressor for my towers at least...

15. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I never have and never will spend money on something that comes out of the sky (that goes for bottled water too but i digress). I have used other peoples' compressed air cans before and if used carefully they're great but i just can't and won't justify paying for air.
    But that's just me :) i prefer the old fashioned job of using long thin brushes and dusters personally. Inefficient maybe but cleans enough for me. I used a 'Henry' vacuum to clean the (Dual Core AMD) kids' pc a few weeks back, it was shutting down every 20 mins, it had more dust in it than i'd seen in ten year old pc's, Henry put paid to that, along with a long thin brush and said duster.

16. redice

redice Regular member

@OM7

yeah i know right. The can air just doesn't last long enough. Thats why i am trying to find out about the compressor.

17. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

Henry for me aswell. i love them!

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

redice,
    Here's the link I sent to omegaman7. You can scroll up and down to find a location in your state. The prices are very good, and so is the quality. I won't buy an oil-less compressor as they are not very durable, and they are very noisy!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/retail_stores.taf#OR

Here's what they have and the prices.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=air+compressors&Submit=Go

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. redice

redice Regular member

ok. do you have that one or have you used it? also is it safe to use on computer parts?

20. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

How can you tell if a certain air compressor is safe to use on a computer? I'd like to be able to clean my case with my air compressor but I'm worried about moisture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.