1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensman

greensman Regular member

Does it have a quality "filter" on it?? I would turn down the air as well... somewhere around 40-50 psi would be the max I would consider. Of course canned air is the best if you ask me but it's DANG expensive. ;)

good luck

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Some tanks have a bleeder valve for bleeding off moisture. Not all though...

3. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Thanks gm and oman. Given the age of my compressor and it's purpose I doubt there's a filter of any real quality and I've never noticed a bleeder valve on it either....maybe I'll just clean it like creaky does with some brushes lol.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

redice,
    We've been using it for 6 years without a problem. It's used less than a pint of oil since it was new. Why wouldn't it be safe to use, It's not like it was 20 years ago when you could get some oil spots on something. The twin tanks help insure no moisture either. There's a manual drain valve on the lower tank. Just use your hand as a guide and by blowing the blow gun at your hand, you will know about how far away to keep it. I use these!

[​IMG]

They make a one button syringe, but I like using what is normally the water side for pin point air, and the air button for more volume! Worth their weight in gold! I pay $40 for one as I'm a dealer. Incredible air control and you work with 80-100 Lbs pressure of the compressor. Far better than compressed air, with no icing on the surface of what's being blown clean! Let me put it this way, you won't be blowing any capacitors off the motherboard like you can with a blow gun (Don't Ask!), and you won't be rupturing any keyboard membranes like I've seen a number of people do using them. With the syringe, you have the power up close without endangering any parts, and great air volume without the Brute Force!

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! Those look like those guns that Dentists use.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Go to the head of the class! They are Dental Air/Water syringes that can blow air or a stream of water and combine both for a spray. I just hook both sides up to the air. It does the same exact thing, only with air. Does a very good job cleaning a computer!

Russ

7. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Omeg's quote, Some tanks have a bleeder valve for bleeding off moisture. Not all though...

Your right Omeg, even though my compressor is old it does have a bleeder valve which I empty before I clean a PC, it's just a regular compressor you would find at any mechanic's shop, I just use care when using it on my pc.

Now the system Russ uses that is the safest way, I myself didn't even know it exsisted, to me that's the way to go and totally safe if you are worried about moisture or to much force, I do not fix, build pc's for a living if I did I would definatly invest into exactly what Russ uses.

8. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Since you're a dealer Russ, want to cut us some good deals? :p

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Red_Maw,
    I pay $40 for them. I'll ask if there's a rate for 6 and see what they say. I prefer the first one on the page. It uses Standard short tire valves, something you can get in any Automotive store. Other than an occasional tire valve, I doubt you would ever wear it out! It's pretty well made!

Russ

10. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Awesome, thanks Russ.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

MEGA server problems with aD for me at the moment - forgets both my username and password and keeps asking me to login, putting "notknown" in the username box, and only 1 out of every 15-20 connection attempts actually get through.

12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Seems to be working better now, though I'm on a university PC hooked up to JANET rather than a home PC, if that makes any difference.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

15. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I know bugger all about modern video cards/their companies, but i wonder if some of this is down to the economy, maybe the masses just can't sustain the second-hand car priced video cards anymore :p

I'll cope, what with all my onboard video and old but still usable gfx vcards, dunno what you PC gamers are going to do though

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'll be honest, this is something I have "what if?"ed about for a while. I would be lying if I said I'd predicted nvidia falling flat as an enthusiast developer, but almost every day the company implements a new hairbrained scheme to exploit the consumer as a whole and reaffirm that the nvidia brand is the best thing since sliced bread. The PhysX driver lockdown is one recent example.
    No matter how good nvidia's products were, the corporate attitude just wasn't on, and from what I can gather, not very much seems to be working for them at the moment.

Do I relish this prospect? Not at all. I couldn't possibly tell people I was entirely objective about graphics with a straight face, but even the most devout ATI fanboy would have to recognise that a one horse race would destroy the graphics market, effectively ending technological advance at the HD5800 series.

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

So, would something like This:
    Windows 7
    Be only available to vista users?

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

PLEASE dont let nvidia die! as we can see withthe 5 series, they are pretty over priced (well the 5870 and the 5770 deffo are) and without competition we will end up with Extreme cards (ala intel extreme CPUs)

nvidia are making ALOT of money from SLI licencing and ION/Tegra, and CUDA is making big movements.

19. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

yes vista only, but vista's upgrade was one where if you installed it, and then REinstalled it, but this time from the PC and not from booting into the CD it would count as an upgrade.

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

So then that deal doesn't apply to me, Shucky darn! LOL!
    How about the difference between these two...
    Windows 7
    Why buy the Retail edition when the OEM would do?

Edit 2: So buying the Retail edition allows for Microsoft support? Thats it!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.