1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

quick question and i doubt it will be a quick answer..lol

what exactly is the major difference from the quads now(775 socket)and the new I5 1156? i now its a different platform, but what performance wise? both quads, both 45nm. the 775 quads are 12mb cache and the 1156 is only 8mb cache. so where does the performace come into the equation.??????
    to me just looks like a waist of money just to have the latest technology...just me thats all.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The i5 is the same performance as the i7, but slightly slower for arithmetics (video encoding etc), slightly faster for games, and of course cheaper. it's like buying a games-optimised version of an i7, for half the price.

3. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Basically what shaffaaf said, no competition is bad and I certainly don't want gpu's going the same way cpu's are now.

I wouldn't be too fast to say that, if you can oman look on the back of the box. My copy of win7 says "Upgrade designed for Windows Vista" in the upper right corner on the front and on the back it says if you are upgrading from XP you will have to do a clean install.

-------------

I've noticed not a lot of people here have gotten an i5 or i7 so I'm curious to know why. Is it the cost or are you planning on skipping them altogether? I was planning on doing my next build next year or even 2011, but now I'm thinking it might be better to do it before gpu prices skyrocket.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

This release is for System Builders. I AM a system builder technically. Or does one have to be a LICENSED system builder to purchase this OEM 1 disc set.
    Russ, would you buy the Retail kit for nearly twice the price, or would you buy the OEM kit? Is the price difference merely support?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116762

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  5. greensman

greensman Regular member

I don't think the prices are that bad right now and I also don't believe the prices will sky rocket any time soon. ;) An i5 system is very comparable to a 775 system atm. I've looked at both setups lately even tho I'm in NO position to even think about a NEW computer right now but you know how it is to windowshop. ;) If you wait I can only see something NEW coming out or the price of the stuff now going down to reasonable prices. :) Good luck with whatever you do. :)

6. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Hahah yeah I'm in the same position you are but I've had the same system for 2.5 years so I'm itching to upgrade lol. Maybe I'll just settle for a new case with better cooling. Plus I feel new stuff should be coming out summer/end of summer so upgrading now will probably just be a regretted decision a few months later.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Red_Maw,
    That's why I'm upgrading to an Athlon IIx4 2.8GHz 630. No L3 cache, but it has 2MB of L2 cache. Should be noticeably faster than the Athlon x2 7750 in it now! I don't see the price going down anytime soon, so a few more weeks and I'll see if I made the right choice! The beauty is, that everything else will be practically brand new! Almost like a new build!

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

yes you can buy it, no licence needed.

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

to take from my previous question. myself i dont see much being gained in going with the higher priced stuff just to say i have the latest and maybe not so greatest toy. going from the P4 to a C2D chip was a big difference but going from a C2Q to I5/I7 i dont see the same difference except the priceing... once again thats just how i see it. i dont have a I5/7 or know anyone that does to just see how well the do work so im only speculating.....

Your Price: $9,999.99
    why would i want to pay 10 grand for 3 OS lic????? thats rediculious....lol

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Maw: The i5 is a leap forward from the Core 2, but it's not a huge leap forward. The i5s and i7s offer better overclocking for the enthusiasts than the Core 2s did due to the lack of pressure from the FSB, thus an overclocked core 2 Quad like a Q9550 to an overclocked core i5 750 might net up to a 50-60% performance gain. For a lot of PC users though, a new PC tech isn't worth buying unless it more than doubles their current performance.
    For example, Russ' upgrade from the X2 7750 to the Athlon II X4 630 pretty much is double the performance, even if we ignore the fact he's moved from a dual core to a quad core as well. For those who already have quad cores, and those who don't plan to overclock, the only reasonable upgrade to an i5 is if you have a Q6600 or Q8200.
    To say nobody bought i7s was misleading, but the i5's sales will be substantially better than the i7s for two reasons: Firstly, the i7 was a top-end premium product, the absolute minimum price for CPU/Motherboard/RAM was about £440. Considering Russ' Athlon II quad core could be bought with a good motherboard and RAM for £200, that's pretty steep. The Core i5, however, offers almost identical performance, but has a minimum platform price of a much more reasonable £290. On top of all that, the i7 works best in server-like applications. The i5 works best in games and multimedia applications.
    Secondly, Socket 775 is at the end of the line. There are loads of great value products still out there for it, but there won't be any new ones. Eventually, when the low end Core i3s start to appear in their masses, 775 and Core 2 will start to fade away as a platform. People buying PCs these days don't really want to buy something that's starting to become obsolete, but on the other hand, the way technology progresses, an upgraded CPU usually means an upgraded motherboard regardless. All you lose out by using 775 now in that sense, is having to buy new RAM too. By the time 775 CPus are completely gone, I'd be surprised if the newest 1156/1366 CPUs would work in today's pioneering 1156/1366 boards. However, I've been wrong before on such matters... :p

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

NIce post Sammy. ;)

Robert I agree but it's NOT that much more with the i5 chips from what I've seen. It's a little more but the performance gain MAY outway the cost. ;)

Red_Maw... I am one of those that Sammy mentioned with a Q6600 and I also have an E6850, but on the other hand I have 2 939 AMD's that are WAY out of style. ROFL. :p

So who still has that platform in use?? lol. :D

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

side by side the I5 build(mob,cpu,mem) is cheaper than a C2Q
    i used neweggs priceing. but i can get the C2q way cheaper at microcenter than newegg,($169) as well as the I5,($179)..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

guess it has me thinking if i should get the GA-EP45-UD3P now/ just leave this my Q9550 setup as is and sell my E8400 and other spare parts and go I5.... really has me wondering just how the I5 really performs.

13. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

if one is ona 775 dual the best cost effect upgrade would be a C2Q. and anyone on a c2q really doesnt need to upgrade to i5/i7 even as a gamer, as a highly clocked c2Q will handle MOST things, though mayeb not the UBER UBER high end liek sams set up.

if anything spend the money on an SSD fro more a real upgrade.

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Sorry sam, Had to do it LOL! :p

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Shaff/Rob: IF you have an up to date 775 platform, then Core 2 only makes sense. If you have an old one, however with a chipset like the 945, then you're better off going i5 instead.
    Omega: I didn't say that... ;-)

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks shaffaaf
    I can't see spending 300$+ for an OS just for the MS support that I probably won't require...

17. redice

redice Regular member

ok thanks and i will have to look into this.

18. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Even if it is only a 30GB vertex... we all store data on a different HDD than our OS here anyway right??? LOL ATM I'm reinstalling Win7 Ultimate to mine after flashing firmware to allow it to work with the TRIM functions native to Win7.

19. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I knew the C2Q's were fairly close to the i5/i7's but didn't know they were that close. Thanks for that wonderful post sam, with that in mind a C2Q will most likely be my next upgrade (still hoping for another price drop on the Q9550 lol).

The limited read/write capability of SSD's scare me off, although I'll admit I know virtually nothing about them.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The R/W performance of most SSDs is poor. Thankfully Intel's SSDs do not have any of the problems other SSD brands suffer from, hence why they are my choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.