1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    It has the 405/6100 chipset! The nVidia 4 chipsets are solid as a rock, so don't let the chipset be the determining factor! I use them when someone wants MSI and they're pretty much bullet proof. Never had one fail yet! I've even been able to overclock one a couple of hundred MHz, with the on-board graphics! You would have to get into more expensive graphics to really overclock it unless you had a spare PCI-E video card hanging around not being used! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My friend's file server board is a £30 MSI Geforce 6100 chipset mATX board. It's still going strong after 18 months... That's longer than any of my Asus boards lasted.

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Lasted or he kept it longer?:D

I still have the A8N SLI Deluxe and Premium and they both work great after more than two years. Can't actually remember but I feel reasonably certain they are more than 2 years up and running and probably more like 3.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lasted. All three of my Asus boards are now dead. The said MSI board is not only still working, still in use. Not used for gaming but it's been left on 24/7 save for occasional system maintenance for almost all of those 18 months. My A8N-SLI SE lasted 5 months, my P5N-E SLI 8 months and my A8R-MVP 16 months.

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Man! You're a death sentence to a piece of electronics! LOL I've had two bad boards in the last 13 years and that's a lot of boards. More than I can hope to remember even conservatively. I even built with some PC Chips board back in the 90's and the worked until I finally gave the system away.:p

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I got the message after the P5N-E SLI went south and avoided Asus' midrange stuff. My P35C-DS3R was in my care for 7 months, and has been operating successfully in another PC for 3 months and counting.
    My X38-DS4 has also been operating for that length of time, so far without incident. Worthy of note, my MSI board still works after 4 1/2 years, and survived a PSU blowing up!

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

my ole asus P4P800 SE is still going strong although it belongs to my brother now. it's got to be close to 4 years old. it only cost $89 and did everything I wanted to do at the time.

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Let's hold a midnight mass and prey.:p

BTW, one of the two only boards that I've ever had go south was a Gigabyte GA-P965-DS3 which arrived DOA and was RMA'd the very same day. In less than a week I had a replacement that's still working like a champ to this day, and still running the E6600.

This is no reflection on Gigabyte it was just one bad board.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Despite those three short-lived boards, I've yet to have a DOA motherboard...

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

[
    My P4800 SE is seating a Northwood and still running strong for my wife.

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

A good thing too otherwise it would get in the way of your serial board killing. LOL

12. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

the golden P965 DS3. that has to be one of the best boards i have seen.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think we can all agree the P4P800 SE and 965P-DS3 are in the 'legendary boards' category. I daresay the A8N-SLI Premium and P35-DS3R are in that category too.

14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

tbh i dont think there were any legendary P35 boards, all of the mid to high were birllaint. well infact for GB from the P35-DS3L to the DS4 were brilliant, so that would be every one they made i cant remember if they did a DS5 and DQ6. for ASUS it was onyl the P5K-E and upwards.

the abit PRO was probably the best P35, if i had to chose though. and for the price the DFI blood iron.

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Very true!

My A8N SLI Deluxe was easier to mod and in the end pushed my Opteron 170 almost 200 MHz farther than my wimpy arsed 175 did on the premium. The only real difference between the two boards was that the Premium was one of the first with Passive chipset cooling. It was nothing to remove the inferior coolers that came with the Deluxe and upgrade them. I wished Asus would give the option of no passive cooling because in a high overclock they often get in the way.

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

as is mine (my brothers now). a P4 northwood 3.4ghz @ 3.6ghz to be exact. it still kills me to think I paid $265 for that cpu. lol

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A little more modern, but I paid the equivalent of $450 for my 4200+...

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I haven't got a clue as to what I paid for mine, because it all seems so long ago. I suppose if I went through my zipzoomfly (used to be Google something) records I suppose I could find out. Since it was the first 2.8 GHz release which and predated Hyper threading I would say it goes a bit further back in time and just as expensive.

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

don't feel bad Soph. I had to go dig up the invoice (from starmicro) too. I've got invoices running out my yang. I even keep them for items as insignificant as case fans and even a miniature pizzo case speaker I ordered since my CM 830 EVO case didn't come with one.

the bad part is the only reason I bought the P4 3.4 800mhz HT was to replace a prescott P4 2.8 533mhz non HT which would OC a lot better and nearly as high as the 3.4 northwood.

just for fun I looked up what that 3.4 goes for now at starmicro. it's still $160.50 lol

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

AHHHH, my Tuniq Tower is crooked. Will this be a problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.