1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Boy it's hard to decide when it comes to pricing parts and the quality you want and need.I did some pricing on what.I paid on
    my 3 parts just got some more G.Skill today 2x2 getting ready to put the Blu Bye U Back together again with Added Features anyway.I thinks Ro we make way out better when me and get are cpu's at the Mic they seem to have that I5 $10 lower this week the same price.I paid for my E8400 a year ago or less.I'm thinking to do a 1156 build mid nexts year myself here's my figures.I came up with on my 775 build and later down the line 1156 build

my cost

[​IMG]

1156 build

[​IMG]

the i5 is 149.99 at the micro + Tax 6.5% = $9.75 tax = out to $159.74
    out the door there's only a $19.70 different between the two builds for me plus trying to talk Newegg into some Free Shipping on the chat.I did it tonight cause.I spend over $250 dollars in parts
    you gotta think prices gonna drop on some parts and the eggs free shipping and the promo deals:)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2009
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

bigwill, edit your sig as out of forum specs.

3. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

mmm, wonder who's else is? name some names Please

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    In case you don't know it, the Q9550 from MicroCenter is an SLAWQ, which is C1 stepping. That's why the cheap price! I called earlier to see if they would tell me and the guy came back with SLAWQ! The better one is the SLB8V with C0 stepping.

Russ

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  5. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

My Friend Russ Mine as you may not know Here at the Cincinnati aka Sharonville where.I live and where Micro Center is all they are selling is SLB8V are EO stepping.I just took a picture of my box

[​IMG]

Rob Has the exactly the same one Batch Number and All ,are Micro Center Sales man sold it to us Dan Moody

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/member.php?u=23132

Your Store must be Carrying the older 1's in stock...Lol

you see the egg got this in stock now..I wonder which one gonna be the best to have?

[​IMG]

they already talking mess about it on yahoo

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/7-Myths-About-Windows-usnews-661053706.html?x=0&.v=1

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

bigwill68,
    I'll wait on win 7 until all the bugs are known and removed! I haven't stood in line for an OS since Win 95! LOL!! I was so disappointed when I got it home, as it was nothing like the Beta version I had been using for 6 months! Hated Win 95! I'm happy with both 32 and 64 bit XP-Pro, and it will be around until 2014! I doubt that I will be! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Actually most of the bugs with Windows 7 are non existent. 90% of the R+D and bugfixes were done through Windows Vista. 7 is relatively bug free as far as new releases go. Much better than XP ever was at release. So far it has worked with everything, including actually working with my sound card; Something Vista refused to do even on different versions and with the new SP2. I'd say make the jump now. No need to be afraid of change here, the final product is instantly familiar and so much sleeker. It takes much better advantage of your hardware than XP 32 or 64. And for stuff that normally doesn't work, try the XP Mode VM or one of several compatibility modes.

I am 99% happy with 7 right now. Mostly a bug where, as Sam pointed out to me, it randomly forgets your home network settings. But not a problem here it's not a big deal to set back up.

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

No problems with my two Win7 machines at all after months of using it, only the bug that's been around since forever. The infamous Windows explorer bug that (annoyingly) is still present in Windows 7 - ie in details view mode and there's too much detail to display ie huge amounts of files, though it mostly seems to crash when there's lots of media files to display details for (maybe it's because media files have more info to display, not sure). The way i've always got around it is to not use details view mode, ie i always just switch to list or icons view modes. Explorer doesn't crash then.

And don't forget i don't believe in applying Windows Updates, and still it's stable (same with all my XP machines and they're all 100% stable). Nice. Looks like i won't be bothering with any Service Packs at this rate.

edit- changed a couple images in a few of the above posts as they were fouling up the page margings. Luckily when we get the new site layout this won't happen as we'll have fixed page margins.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    Nope, not yet! First I need to put a Quad in mine, then I'll think about a new OS! I'm pretty happy with 64 bit XP-Pro!

Best Regards,
    Russ

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't really have any "bugs" with windows 7 per se. More just irritances with certain components that aren't there and should be. The Display properties box, manually moving windows and a few other little things.
    Actually Creaky, for me Windows 7 is the first OS not to have huge issues in details mode... :S

11. creaky

Good stuff, but as i have a few hundred media files in any given folder, it happens for me too often. But as i say, as long as i quickly switch to another view mode quickly enough, all is well.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Try a few thousand in list view. XP would take minutes to be able to navigate around and open folders. Win7 can handle it in a couple of seconds tops, it only takes a while if you've done 'Sort by Artist'.

13. creaky

I have Win7's explorer go pear shaped even listing say 400 movie files in details mode. But that one bug is all i see in Win7. Compare this to Puppy Linux 4.3 that came out recently, and decimated two of my machines due to huge amounts of bugs (didn't get as far as using 4.3 on the other machines i'd installed to due to those two disasters). Went back to 4.20 SMP and 4.21 on 6 machines and life is good again.

14. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Well Fellows The Boss is almost back together new paint job on the inside and some modifications to the body added 4 barrel from the 2 barrel for a little more speed than B4 as you can see.I'm waiting on a few more Parts to come in nexts week to fire it up and put the new OS on it and Yes.I'm going IDE on my rom drives they are two of my favor drives to use old school's.I left a space open to add another TB later as you can see...

[​IMG]

Working on wire management here

[​IMG]

I think i'm tired and gonna lay down

[​IMG]

Happy Building
    Ya'll

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol wut? No graphics card? :p

Looks nice and tidy in there Will, good work. Can't say the same about my PC as of yet, the wires aren't long enough to be tidied up... :(

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

I heard you were a little on the SHORT side. :D All graphics and NO cpu!!! hehehee. :p

17. redice

redice Regular member

nice and clean build there will.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

3.4Ghz Q9550 is no CPU? I'm hurt... :p
    Might not be the 4Ghz you guys can push for with your single PCIe slot systems, but it's rock solid, and the voltage can be brought down nicely (talking of which, I'm going to have a stab at getting that lower). It also gets me a nice full 1066mhz memory speed :)

19. greensman

greensman Regular member

You know I was just jacking with you. :p It's cpu jealousy at this point!! :D I'm about 1.5-2 years behind the lastest tech so in the summer sometime I'm sure that I'll get me a little Q9550. :p

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A Q9550 in 2010? I think you'd be better off aiming for an i5 if I'm honest...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.