1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Thanks Sam That's mean alot coming from you...lol...I try my best to keep them neat inside and ...I Ordered the 1 you told me about the ATI His 5770 and some new memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4161306&cm_re=5770_ati-_-14-161-306-_-Product

Thanks redice it's time consuming sometimes but if you take your time you can get it right

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Should be a powerful system all round with that card fitted. The HD5770 is by no means a performance giant but where it counts, performance for cost, and especially performance per watt, it's in a class of its own. The HD5770 uses a full 60W less at full load than the HD4870 it replaces, and cuts more than 40W off the idle power consumption as well, resting at 25W.

3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

@Creaky

Haha I've dabbled in Linux from time to time. Used it a bit at school last year too. I personally like Ubuntu with Gnome but that may be too shallow an interface for more advanced users? I know I've been spoiled on Windows :p

@Russ

Aha this is where Windows 7 dominates Windows XP. Everything, file transfers, installs, file navigation, has been doubled or tripled in speed. As I said it take much better advantage of your hardware. Even though it takes more resources, 7 is just as smooth and responsive as Windows XP. Even more so with lots of multiple heavy apps open, which did eventually bog down on XP. Not to mention the OS itself has better multi-threading support.

@bigwill68,

Nice build man! Very clean and looks like it has good airflow. I too like to keep my cases organized and properly wire routed. A few large cables hanging here and there I don't care about. Usually my mains power and my CPU power + my front panel USB. It's the rats nest effect that kills me. I have lots of friends that could film an Indiana Jones movie in their cases :p

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

its perfect for nearly all games upto 1920x1200 though!

5. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Good Deal .I guess you picked me out a Good Card then...I wonder how it would be on alittle Oc'ing not that much just alittle.I'll find out...

believe me sam as you where talking to Greensman about this...I almost got 1 today for nexts years build just to have it at but.I realized whyand you don't have a board to go with it at the time,But at $149.99 was temping at Micro Center foe the i5 750...

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, overall the i5 750 is a good 10-20% clear of the Q9550 and overclocks substantially better, and costs $70 less for the CPU itself. You can get good Biostar P55 boards for $30 less than the TPower i45 too.

7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

i7 and i5 are good but I still feel no urge to upgrade. I seriously don't think it's a big enough upgrade from a Core 2 Quad or Phenom II to justify the purchase for me. Not to say they aren't that fast. But considering my main build is mostly gaming, an i5 holds little real benefit for me. As far as OCing though they are probably the best OCing chips ever made. Basically 100% guaranteed 4GHz+. But again I have a graphics bottlneck anyway so what did I gain?

8. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

O you should know me by now nothing but the best in Biostar Camp> I would have to get the I45 Big Brother the I55 T Power if.I went that route.That's nexts years plan.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138159

I gonna watch to see if the price goe's down any newegg holds there prices firm on these Biostar I's board. I never bought a board there B4 it would be my first If.I do trying to sneak a UD3P in there all so to stick in this antec 300 case and get rid of all Gigabyte p35's boards.I have but one thing at a time...

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yeh but then I have to buy a mobo and maybe some RAM. :p Other interests atm are soaking my cash. :) Like supplying food and clothing me kiddies. :p

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Jeff: Agreed with everything about your post except " considering my main build is mostly gaming, an i5 holds little real benefit for me" - you do realise that i5s are the gaming optimised equivalents of i7s right?

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! Sounds like my 2001 HP. The darn thing is a die hard, but man is it messy in there. Could be an interesting challenge tidying it up in there ;)

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

You know, I just looked at the price of Win 7. Bill Gates can stick it in his ear, or any other orifice that pleases him! $150 for the full version of Win 7 professional, and you still don't get all the bells and whistles! I guess this is our punishment for Micro$oft's failure with Vista! It will snow in Hell before I spend that kind of money for any OS! I guess the fat bastard doesn't have enough money! LOL!! Poor baby!

Russ

13. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Well it was on sale for $100 a while back....still more then I'm willing to pay.

14. dreamer2

dreamer2 Regular member

i am going to upgrade from 8600gts. i have quad core cpu with 450 gpu.I looked into my option and my budget is 150, and i am confused between 5770,4870 and 4890 or any equivalent nvidia in that price range.any suggestion will be helpful ,thanks in advance

15. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Originally posted by Russ
    You know, I just looked at the price of Win 7. Bill Gates can stick it in his ear, or any other orifice that pleases him! $150 for the full version of Win 7 professional, and you still don't get all the bells and whistles! I guess this is our punishment for Micro$oft's failure with Vista! It will snow in Hell before I spend that kind of money for any OS! I guess the fat bastard doesn't have enough money! LOL!! Poor baby!

Ditto Russ.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Russ: Windows has always been that expensive. I'm used to it.
    Dreamer:
    Did you mean to say a 450W PSU? Or that you already have a 3450 4350 or 4550 or 4650 or 4850 GPU? It's not immediately clear. Assuming that you meant to say you have a 450W PSU, then as long as it's a good 450W (please tell us what brand it is, that's even more important than the wattage) it will run any graphics card in the $150 price range.
    Essentially the 4850 and 4870 have been replaced by the 5750 and 5770. They perform roughly the same, but are more energy efficient, and will soon be the only ones you can buy as the 4870 is discontinued. The 4890 is the older technology but is more powerful - there is no HD5790 yet. Generally any nvidia card in that price bracket will be overpriced for what it is, so I don't typically recommend them.
    HD5770s start at $160, if you can stretch to that, certainly go ahead and buy one.

17. dreamer2

dreamer2 Regular member

Thanks for the response.My psu is basiq antec 450watts, and my pc is roughly 2 years old with quad core cpu.But i confused that if i upgraded to more powerful gpu my psu might not be able to support it.I can upgrade to high end gpu except the one is 300$ range and i am not willing to spend more than 150 to 200 in gpu ,so was looking at those options of either 5770 or any other in the price range but some people favoring 4890 over new ones so i was confused

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The HD4890 is more powerful than the HD5770 by a noticeable margin. If you can afford one then do it. The HD5850 absolutely trounces the HD4890, however, though it is a lot more expensive. Any of these cards will run off a 450W PSU, though Antec Basiq units are quite unreliable so you should look into having it replaced in the long term.

19. dreamer2

dreamer2 Regular member

I might pick up one psu if i see some good deal on psu on black friday sales, which psu u suggest might be good for next 2 years, and for gpu i will either go with 4890 or 5770 depending on their sales price, and thanks once again

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Something like a Corsair VX 450W. It's a much better quality unit than the Antec - 450W is ample.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.