1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    You don't need SP-1. You can go right to SP-2. I'll be happy to send you an ISO of SP-2. I'll upload it to my ADrive and you can download it and burn you a CD so you will have it if you ever need it again! Just say the word, and it's yours.

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

thats just it Russ, it has to be a version of windows it the SP preinstalled. i dont think you want to send me your copy of windows with the SP preinstalled...i cant use my windows xp home oem to install with my mobo for the fact it doesnt have a SP with it.

3. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Rob PM me I can help you out if needed. Chris

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    Hmm, I never heard of that before. I use version 2002 of XP-Pro with no service packs on my computer, and install SP-2 right after the XP install. I can also install SP-3 if I want, although I haven't yet. The last time I did it slowed my computer down, noticeably. At least the older version of SP-3 actually ran faster. I'm still running it on the old Dell laptop, which is quite speedy for a 1.4GHz P-III.

Are you sure that the OEM you have isn't like for a Dell or something, because those will not work on anything but a Dell. Same way with Compaq, HP, eMachines and Gateway. I know, I've tried. I have about 10 CDs of those! Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

I know if you havea drive that had sp2 or 3 on it and it's picked up it won't allow Xp to install a lesser version. Takes a run of kill disc etc. Rob just give me your flavor Pro 32 or 64 bit w/sp2 and I'll get ya back in the saddle. Chris

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yea im sure its a original oem disc. my dad bought it from tiger direct around 2001/2002 with his bare bones kit for a build him and a friend did. i have had it since and have used it numerous times.
    ever since i got my mobo now (ga-ep45-ds3r bios F10) back from gigabyte with the newest bios in it. it wont let me install that OEM disc onto any hard drive. it let me on the p35 boards i have but not thisp45 with the newest bios. i have given it to bigwill along with my hdd and he has no problems installing it onto my hdd and then updateing to SP2 theni get it back and all is fine...

i have XP PRO 64bit that i got from a doc friend ;) which it installs fine no issues.

Chris ill give ya a pm shortly.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

rob, i've had that issue a few times whereas a pc would not install original xp but does with xp sp2 or win2k.

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

You people think that might be due to the "NEWER" equipment?? Sorta grasping at straws but it sounds good anyway. :)

9. ddp

for the past 2 or 3yrs.

10. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Tried installing XP pro on a laptop that is just over a year old but it BSOD's every time it tries to start the xp installation process. Lenny and fista install just fine, just not the OS I need lol. Any thoughts as to what might be causing this problem?

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GM,
    I don't think it's the newer equipment, I think it's something in the MBR. I've had a problem like that a few times and I use Killdisk on it, but only for about 3 or 4% and then it allowed the Win XP disk to format the partition and it installed fine and I don't have to remount the drive. Give that a try and see if it works for you.

Russ

12. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

I hate to interrupt fellows in previous conversation you all where having but. I have a question to ask Russ you may known or Sam or anyone at this matter.I have this pic below to show my point on what.I'm asking sense.I stepped up to 64bit and some new hardware for the I45 things surely look different some things.I use on 32bit
    act different here on 64bit take instants Dvd Rebuilder and these Temp monitoring programs and Occt also won't read my gpu or my power supply monitoring and.I got the lastest version of occt well that's another matter we can talk about later here's the pics below something is wrong with the clock time on real temp.I've been stable
    for the longest time ever at this clock speed where,I'm gonna rest at for now.and another thing why is'nt the video card temp showing up
    also?

[​IMG]

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

32-bit to 64-bit means different drivers. It's conceivable that some driver-based programs won't work in 64-bit.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    By looking at the pic you sent it may be the version of 64 bit you are running. Yours is 2003, while mine is May 2005 Systems, Windows Client: Business. I use Everest, and it works just fine. Some of the icons are mixed up, but they are mixed up in 32 bit as well. Everest needs to get off their dead a$$ and give us AMD users something decent. AMD is here, they aren't going out of business, and their market share is still growing (currently 31.6%). Don't they think it's about time they make their software work properly with the AMDs too! One of the things I found is that if you install 64 bit over the 32 bit without wiping a small percentage of the boot partition, is many things don't work properly in 64 bit. I usually run Killdisk about 3-4%, remove the CD, and then boot up from the windows disk and format the drive. It eliminates a lot of problems running 32 bit software. DVDRB doesn't stop in the middle of encoding like it did when I just installed 64 bit over the 32 bit. I always format, but it must be something in the master boot Record that causes it. Whatever it is, briefly running Killdisk cures it. Alcohol 120% doesn't work for lack of a 64 bit driver and Win RAR has to be run manually (no R click menu), and my Opdicon software for my DiscStakka has to be accessed from the tray icon and click search, which brings up the DiscStakka menu. Secure Solutions, 1 Click Fixer won't run, but everything else seems to work OK. I'll be installing it again after I get the new CPU set up and overclocked. It should be here on Monday!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

what everyone is saying about being something with the drive haveing a part of another install still on it sounds good, but it dont explain why i can take the drive out of my system and give it to will and he puts it in his system and it installs fine???

16. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

For the longest time Everest on 64 bit would bring up my audio and speaker id's, after the last MS64 bit update that went away. As Russ said the 64 does have a few quirks that I got use to.@ Rob I don't know the answer to that, have often wondered if the bios comes into play.Since thinking back, I tried a couple of different drives that did the same.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  17. ddp

rob, same board or different? the times i had that problem was when i was doing a fresh 1st time install of windows, would let me load win2k without any sp or xp sp2 but not just xp. don't know about xp sp1 as i don't have that disk.

18. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

believe me Sam .I'm learning that as.I go sense your master of the video card platform what would be some good setting to oc this thing?
    I'm liking this newcard trying to learn it as.I go...I Cranked it up alittle bit and it's moving alittle faster than b4:)

[​IMG]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161306&Tpk=his 5770

I bought the last 1 from newegg in Jersey

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

different board each time Will as done it for me. i think he has done it once on his biostar board and once on his ga-ep35c-ds3r

take that back he only used the gigabyte board to install for me...

on a different note. i broke down and just ordered my mobo. will be here 11-05-09. whos gonna guess right what i went with???

20. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Rob why not go ahead an update to windows 7 since you're reformating

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.