1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

looks good sam. but i see it is the same version as Russ sent me. still showing the performance rating. plus at 3.4ghz as yours is you still are 13000 more than Will's Q9550. i dont know why there is such a gap. yours is running along the same line as mine

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's all to do with the version number, and this is why I hate Sandra. In much the same way as 3dmark, with each version the readout changes. If it were an arbitrary score like '3dmarks' then that would be fine, as you would know to only compare like versions. However, MIPS should be just that and thus, each version should be the same, or nearly the same. I can understand that the tests they run are different, but were there only 4 common versions of Sandra clearly labelled (e.g. like 3dmark03,05,06,Vantage) that would be fine, but there's tonnes of different ones.

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Re Auslogics defrag ~
    They read my mind, 3.0.3.50 is out now ~

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha nice, but let's face it, you knew it was coming :p

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Not bad sam. And i'll stomach my probably slight performance drop due to running at 4 x 800Mhz Ram speed. Sure wish I could afford to buy 2 4gb sticks. But they don't even make 1066 4gb do they? Really expensive no doubt. Never mind...they do. Gskill Ripjaws LOL! Funny name. 400$ for 8Gb. I think i'll pass :p
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231307

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's DDR3.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! whoops. Didn't notice that part. Thanks for pointing that out. I assure you I don't do that when im purchasing builds :p

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've only done it once, back in 2004 - forgot to check whether a card was AGP or PCIe, got the PCIe version when I had an AGP board :(

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok i deleted all versions of sandra from my hdd. cleaned registry and redid the version Russ sent me yesterday. also did some fine tuneing on my oc and now have it as the same as Will's were both running 3.83ghz(cept i have the orange and black Hemi) i still show in sandra the same thing as lastnight. heres the results.

[​IMG]

OM7 there is all kinds of 1066,2x2gb sticks of mem out there. oh your wanting 2x4gb sticks. no i dont see any 1066 sticks like that 2x2gb yes.

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

The performance difference is probably marginal anyway...

One of these days i'll try tweaking her again LOL!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Now where have I heard that before? ROFLMSOAO!! I couldn't agree more. Ever since Sisoft came out with sandra 2007, and completely dropped 2005, I've been screaming about MIPS should be just that, MIPS! I don't particularly like 2009. It's even less relative to previous versions than ever. It looks like something good, but it's just all Bling! Not very useful unless like previous versions, everyone uses it! It's all about sales! Having said that, nice Benchmark, Sam!

Did a little tweaking last night.

[​IMG]

Not too bad! Overall, I'm very impressed with how things work. It's fast enough, smooth and I haven't had any glitches at all, unless you consider the Memory speed a glitch.

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha yeah I'm well aware it's a real copycat of what you always said, I agree!

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well, I hate posting this since so many people Like Auslogics Disk Defragger...but it took longer than Iobits disk defragger. I've never seen the FALS 1Tb take longer than 3 hrs. Now I have. And whats more, is the other Fals drive of mine was MORE fragmented and averages between 2.5- 2.75 hrs. Please note that I utilize the Deep optimize feature while taking this long. I suppose the 3 Hr long process could have something to do with being the main OS drive...

I suppose it really doesn't bother me though. They're large drives, and i'm very patient. Ahh the beauties of Multi drive, Multi core, multi PC, etc etc. LOL!

14. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Omeg, I guess it's all preferance, I also like the Iobits better, to me it's easier and works like a charm, but like I said all preferance.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    That's what happens when you live in a world where what you see and how it looks is more important that what it delivers! Everyone (except old farts like me) wants cool! If people wouldn't rush out to buy the latest, and supposedly the greatest, prices would come down. Right now M$ is trying to stick it in our ear, to recoup their losses from Vista. They have a complex and convoluted system of deciding how much you are going to pay for Win 7. I loved the speed, but was less than thrilled when it almost wiped out everything on my HDD, and crashed my computer where it wouldn't boot past the Setup! I had a devil of a time getting it removed from my HDD, and saving everything else. I did manage it though!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

The best way to get rid of an OS permanently is to do a full reformat and rewrite with all zeros. Most HDD mfgs have disk utilities that do a much better job than DOS or Windows. I remember I reformatted from a dual boot Vista/XP setup and I still had user data from my Vista install in my C: drive! I got the WD disk utility and quickly had the disks 100% clean.

As far as wiping everything out, never heard of it, please elaborate??? Ever since the clean format Windows 7 has been an absolute joy to use and I'm a die hard XP user. Never had a crash I didn't directly cause yet. Everything that could possibly have an issue usually has a fix or 100% functional workaround. I'd give Windows 7 a 90% for compatibility vs XP and Vista gets about 75%. Vista is a very stubborn and laborious OS. I found myself doing hacks and workarounds about as much as I found myself doing things legitimately. Windows 7 relieves most of the problems and runs near as well as XP or even better when doing data transfers or working with large amounts of files(my 10,000+ music collection and my rather large(10GB+) image archive). And with the new indexing service and superfetch, it runs snappier to boot! It's definitely not perfect and Windows XP is definitely WAY more lightweight, but it's a much better effort than Vista and worth the upgrade if only for the vastly increased transfer speeds.

Also @ Russ,

I'm having an issue with Sandra 2007. I can start and navigate it fine. I can also run the storage benches fine. But for some reason none of the hardware benches will run. I click the refresh button on the ALU Arithmetic test and the little meter flashes in the corner for a split second then nothing happens. The program doesn't freeze or anything and I can still navigate and close it normally. Any clue what might be happening?

FTR, 2009 runs perfectly but it's results are useless to me. I don't even plan on posting my results I just wanted to satisfy my curiosity and I can't do even that right now!

Also, it stated that it was not the recommended version for my OS and pointed me to the website. I ignored it and it continued normally. I did the x64 install. Would performance on the 32 bit version be any different because I may try that.

EDIT:

Nevermind neither 32 nor 64 works. Very strange because apparently Sam got the same exact file version from the same exact file working just fine on 7. I'd be curious to find out what the issue is.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

It can't hurt, but I didn't snap to the fact that you are using win 7. It does run on 64 bit XP-Pro and Vista, but as far as I know it doesn't run on win 7.

Doesn't affect me, because I'll probably never install Win 7 again, anyway! Not unless they change a lot of things like the pricing structure and hardware restrictions! Bill Gates can take his $281 Win 7 Professional Full, and stick it right where the sun doesn't shine. That doesn't even buy you the right to uninstall it from one computer and install it on another. To do that you have to have the ultimate version, and it's $291 and you still can't use it on more than one computer at a time. I'm not paying that fat SOB for the privilege of only being able to use it on one computer forever, as it's keyed to each individual computer's Profile only! If you build a new computer, too bad! Another $281 please!

You do understand that if people didn't run right out and buy it, the price would go down. Today, want outweighs need, Too many "Gotta have its" out there! They're not smart enough to realize that the M$ stockholders aren't going to take the loss for the colossal flop that Vista was, so they are going to make you pay for it! Of course, the various Governments get there's for free because we pay for it anyway. That's the way it is today. The "haves" get it all, and the "have-nots" wind up paying for it.

Then there's the security nonsense. I don't know about any of you on this thread, but I don't want to have to get M$ "permission" to install new hardware in "my" computer, that's running "my" $281 software after 120 days! Imagine the joy of installing a second 1TB hard drive only to find out that it doesn't work, and you have to call M$ for approval! You won't be able to swap drives around, so that ought to thrill the Folks on the Nero burning thread. They change drives more often than half the people in the world change their underwear! Oops, your Hardware doesn't match your profile, please contact M$! Won't that be fun! I can well imagine the waiting time on a weekend, trying to get through to M$ so you can make that BlueRay drive you just bought work.

If people were smart, they would do just like I'm going to do, pass on Win 7! If enough people would boycott it, the price would come down and the severe restrictions would be lessened or done away with entirely! Wake up People and realize that you are your own worst enemy, but you do have the ability to do something about it!

Sorry for the rant!

Russ

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Take a good look at my screenshot Russ - That's Win7 alright :p
    As far as I'm concerned I'm using the RC version until they deactivate it and decide what to do then.

19. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Creaky,
    Thanks for adding that. I thought about mentioning it, but decided not to bring it up for fear of being banned! The free world is a bunch of sheep, content to be herded here and there without question and a minor amount of grumbling, Too busy texting on their IPhone, Blackberry, Etc! Laying on a comfortable couch watching their 60" HDTV, all the while grumbling at the wrong people. We are the ones that need to get off our fat backsides and do something about it.

Then there's the other side of it where people hang on every word of "Idiot Extremists". whining, and bitching at the wrong people. The crooks got away with all the dirty stuff they did, without a single CEO or Officer of these failed Corporations being arrested, and the world sits by and pays for their crimes and allows them to gracefully retire, getting their bonuses, laughing all the way, because they got paid for failing.

If the people of the world want to do something about it, then stop buying all this bell and whistle crap. Protest by "Voting with your Wallet"! Boycotting Win 7, would be a good start!

Russ

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.