1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Just for the record, I can tell the difference between 720 and 1080 on my 22" Acer easily. Even though it's a TN and not full HD res, it still clearly shows a large difference even from a distance(~10-15ft). Granted not all HD movies were created equal and encoding, aspect ratio, ripping methods, etc all play a part. But my best 720p film vs my best 1080p film is zero contest. The difference is made even bigger on my Dell 24".

Even the best quality 480p can't touch a decent 720p, let alone a good quality 1080p. Of course everything is subjective and you could have a different perspective on it. Maybe we could get some comparative screenshots from all 3 versions? I'd be interested to see it.

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

This is a never ending battle...

Everyone has different hardware, everyone has different opinions. Nuff said :p

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

True, but saying there's scarcely any difference between 480p and 1080p nullifies the whole concept of HD video...

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'll agree with that. Standard definition is like milk without chocolate :p

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    All I can tell you is what I see. Don't forget I have both 1080p and 720p modes on my monitor, and the difference is so slight between both modes, that I wouldn't waste the extra download time or space to bother with the 1080p. My Panel is also brand new, and incorporates all the updates the newer technology brings with it. I think the difference you can see on your 20" has more to do with the monitor's age and the technology at the time it was built! I'm not alone in this opinion either, as everyone comments on the picture quality on mine, and how beautiful it is. Even my Doctor friends noticed it immediately, and they have far better components than I have! There's even one of these from NEC, arguably one of the very best monitors you can buy!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002419

I'm not trying to compare mine to a $2000+ monitor, but it does enough to capture the attention of some very discerning eyes!

Russ

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Modes? You'll have to explain that one to me, I've never heard of '720p mode' or '1080p mode' on a PC monitor before.
    Whatever benefits you know your 20" has, remember I owned a 2407FPW, as does Jeff, which even though it is old, I will almost guarantee still beats the IQ on your 20".

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I don't know who said that, but it wasn't me!

Russ

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

9. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Even though it's old I doubt there are many monitors that can match my 2407wfp in picture quality. I paid $600 for it at the time and let me say it would still be worth all of that. In fact I would still consider it quite high-end.

Absolutely blows away my 22" Acer like nothing :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I wasn't even talking about your 24", I was talking about the 20" you mentioned. Not only that, I've had a first as you've never heard of a PC monitor with all 3 HD modes before. It even says 1080i/1080p HD Mode Ready on the front cover! Here it is, right out of the manual!

[​IMG]

You also need a DVI to HDMI adapter for it to work, as I don't have an HDMI port on my monitor, only on the video card! I can play direct 720p or 1080p, playing the file from my HDD using VLC or Gom Player. Very easy to compare modes!

Russ

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    Just about every monitor on the planet except another 22", blows away almost any 22" monitor! Given the pixel pitch on almost all 22" monitors of 0.282mm, compared to the same resolution on my 20", but with a 0.243mm pixel pitch, it's easy to understand why the 20" has better video quality than almost any 22"!

Russ

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What you've got there is marketing BS that's taken you in. Every monitor with a scaler fitted (i.e. everything but the Dell 3007WFP and HP L3065) has the capability to display any common display resolution, and scale anything that's not in that resolution to fit. That is how a scaler works. I could not only send 720p and 1080p to either of my monitors, but I could send 320x200, 320x240, 352x264, 400x300, you get the idea. Having a 20" monitor your maximum res is 1680x1050, so '1080p' support is sneaky, because the panel can't actually display that res, it will just downscale it to fit. The same goes for HDTVs that are only 1366x768, most will accept 1080p signals, they will just downscale them to fit the screen.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

480i does not equal 480p. I agree that downscaling HD to 480p will look much better than a normal DVD, but I disagree that it will look anything like proper High-Def.

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

dang that describes 87.6% of comments posted here...lol including this one.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Well here you go man with all the answers! The 10 Modes of HD and their operating frequencies!

[​IMG]

Please note it says Mode! Downscale, if that's what it does, has clarity beyond words then, that's all I can say. I've reported what I've seen and compared with my own two eyes, and if that's not good enough for you, than tough bananas! You've hinted that I would be considered a Troll on on some video forum you belong to, and you've even hinted that I'm lying or being taken in by advertising hype! You may think that you have all the answers, but no one person is that smart, including you!

Now could we all get back to the thread topic, please!

Enough is Enough!
    Russ

17. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

good idea.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's the list of resolutions supported by the scaler, all the resolutions it will accept without needing the GPU in the PC to do the scaling work. Your monitor has 10, lower resolution screens will have fewer, higher resolution ones will have more, and so on.
    The only comment I disagreed you on I was perfectly valid.

19. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

leave it alone as i don't need a flamewar as nobody wins.

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Quit it guys.

So I sold my LANBox today for $400. My friend is very happy with it and I made a little cash :D

Not to mention it will help our power bill. Though my room is also noticeably cooler with it gone :(

Haha even when I play games on my Crossfire machine It gets warm in here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.