1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! When both of my machines run, it gets noticeably warmer in here ;)
    The secondary one is the one that puts off the heat I think...

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Sam, we've talked about this before once upon a time. I forget what you did about it, or if your HAF case even had the same problem. I just went to plug a usb flash drive into the very top front of the case. I BARELY touched the slot and it restarted the system. It hasn't done that since the last board was installed. Isn't that weird. Its like its picking up on a slight static discharge. Now im gonna be hesitant about using the front at all...

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Why? It's either going to work or it isn't! LOL!! :)

Russ

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

But see, its like a brief power failure. Like the reset button is triggered. And when im in the middle of critical processes...

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Do you have carpeting? Cool weather and dry climates have a habit of causing a lot of static electricity buildup when you have carpeting, which could have triggered your reset. I can't imagine it being anything else, since you didn't actually plug anything in!

Russ

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! You know...I've been noticing at work, that I get shocked quite a bit, where others do not. Perhaps I have an electric personality LOL! Ok, thats a bit out there :p
    Yes, I do have carpeting and yes its obvious that Static Electricity is around. Your probably right. Its just really weird. I've never seen anything quite like this...

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Some people can store incredible amounts of static electricity. Shelly and I could generate some serious sparks between us. Nice, long, fat, Blue/White sparks! The first time it happened it threw both of us half way across the room! Scared the shi7 out of both of us! LOL!! We gradually figured out how to control it and use it. Made for a lot of fun at parties! LOL!!

Russ

8. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

russ, i guess the both of you have a sparking personality.

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I don't know how I would post pictures of what has happened...

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i meant for russ' post.

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! That'd be quite the shot!

13. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

that and a vid of the talking dog :D

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ok, I think im gonna leave that one alone *chuckles*

Seriously though, has anyone had anything freakishly weird like that happen? Come'on, ANY weird kinda computer glitch, that just can't be explained very easily.

15. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

my nextdoor neighbor's sister's computer turns itself on so they had to disconnect the powercord.

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL DDP! I had a TV, or rather my parents did several years ago, that the switch was acting up, and did stuff like that, as well as wouldn't let you turn it off. And one time I unplugged it, and it actually stayed on for a few moments! You know that electric charge that old Tv's supposedly store? It must be true LOL!
    I just think its really weird that a slight jolt or vibration(which ever the case may be) would cause my Mobo to reset itself. I guess im gonna have to have a look at that reset button one of these days...

17. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

OM7 - I've read of your USB problem similar to yours before, i don't recall any solutions though. In fact my brother had the same issue on one of his machines, plugging a USB stick into front ports (cheapy case, cheapy PSU though) killed the machine dead. Never did find the problem though because a) he uses Win2000 and has loads of programs/data that i don't know how to migrate to XP, never mind how to save. Plus b) Said machine had other issues which i tracked down to a duff graphics card, that one took a while to track/resolve, messing with problematic Win2000 machines is something i thankfully stopped doing many years ago (in my experience, when Win2000 breaks it breaks very badly). So basically the best i canb offer is that i'm sure Sam was talking about the same issue a while ago. Unless it was you talking about it before and Sam commented on it. Too much rattling around my head all the time, i forget stuff sometimes.

I refused to troubleshoot the problem further as my brother has 450W (i think) PSU's and they're no-name cheapy rubbish ones. He's not using a fraction of the 450W btw. He has two main machines that are identical, and he argues that the same PSU etc works fine in the twin machine. So i gave up debating the issue and said he could sort it out himself, he's one of those that trusts snippets on google over people with actual experience of anything, the debates don't last long, when i know i'm right on something and he swears blind he knows better from a 2 minute google search, i don't waste breath :) - so sorry, haven't got an answer, well other than my main machine has literally about 20 permanent USB connections, plus the 2 front sockets :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Omega: The short in my system turned out to be that a small part of the bracket at the top of the case had fallen into my fan controller. You may want to check in case the same thing has happened to you.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ddp,
    And then some! :) The "Talking Dog", Shaff mentioned didn't belong to us. We just took care of it because the people that owned it didn't have a yard. It was a Malamute Husky, and it had about a 60-70 word vocabulary. My favorite was "Just give me the damn donut"! LOL!! She died about a year or so ago!

Russ

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks guys. I don't have a fan controller. So im actually wondering if either enough vibration or enough electrical jolt made it (Somehow) to the reset switch which is only 3 inches away. Simply put, what im considering doing, is checking out the actual reset area, and if nothing is apparent, I'll simply deny that connection access to the Mobo. I never use the reset button anyway. Who does...

I suppose it could actually be the power button. But every computer i've had shuts down when the power button is pushed. Just another quick way of shutting windows down...

Never had to tangle with Windows 2000. My sisters computer I updated several months ago. And my old place of work employed windows 2000, thats the only time i've used it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.