1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if it was a static discharge then it went thru the usb data cable to motherboard & not the reset button which it cannot jump to as is to far away.

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I've seen stranger things ;)

Is it possible that an overloaded Southbridge could cause something like that? Certainly never heard of a case...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ddp,
    True to a point, but the PSU can shut it down too! That's probably what happened here. The PSU probably tripped and rebooted the computer!

Russ

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah the PSU is responsible for detecting shorts, and will shut down the system if one is detected.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Not only shorts, but voltage spikes or static discharge. I would be looking into the ground connection to the computer. It may be faulty, which would explain the reset! Happens all the time around here with all these old houses. Most aren't even grounded, even though the neutral side does go to ground. I usually replace the outlet with a 3 prong one. I always jumper the ground and neutral connections to the outlet so the computer is grounded, not just the neutral side of the line.

Russ

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

While your replies sound logical and correct, why, how, COULD the flash drive send such a discharge? I've never seen or heard of instances where a flash drive causes a static discharge.

If this helps, it remained in a Restarting loop, until I switched the PSU off. Could be the PSU after all eh.

Meh, i've been wanting to replace the S.O.B. anyway. It isn't a corsair, so that bothers me LOL!

7. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Both you and your computer should be on a anti-static mat, but more importantly YOU should be on one prior to touching your computer. I can't even get to my computer without stepping on my anti-static mat.

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

An intriguing idea. Never occurred to me to put both myself and my computer on an antistatic mat. Since its been months since it did it last, I won't know for a while whether or not. I did just install another optical drive. Which points toward:
    1. more electrical draw
    2. More signal running through the southbridge

or just simply due to the season change(Lower humidity)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the computer is grounded as long as the power cord & wall plug are using the 3rd prong & the house is wired properly.

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! This house is goofy as it gets. In the area of carpentry anyway. I guess I shouldn't discount the possibility that the electric is mickey moused as well...

11. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Yeah, but if the person is standing on carpet, or touch something that could conduit static, that's all she wrote.

12. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Kinda liking this Windows 7 Ultimate running the 32 bit trying to learn my way around it can't fig the icon thing to get them smaller
    it has all the drivers built in I did'nt need the Board drivers disc or the video card drivers is something wrong about that? so far I like how it looks but differents is How it works with everything.I use, any pointers on it fell free to fill me in.I'm still discovering stuff about this OS from bein on xp for the longest time.

[​IMG]

Ps. this just a Quick throw together in the clear case Not much Oc'in either need way more Air Flow Good to see it back up and holding parts again it's been in the closet along time now . I sold a HP system..mmm what's nexts to buy?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2009
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nope, Win7 has native drivers for everything, including graphics.
    You can make the icons smaller. Start Menu icons are made smaller by right clicking the start taskbar, properties and "use small icons"
    The size of the desktop icons is adjusted with Ctrl + Mousewheel when hovering over the desktop itself.

14. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Thanks Sam your 1 Smart Cookie...LOL.I don't know what Favor tho.I like that they integrated that move into the mouse fuction spin wheel is that only for win 7?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Functionally Win7 and Vista are very similar in these regards.

16. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Thanks Sam

not the best looking but for a regular not Overclocked system that much it can hold what.I need it to do for now for my son getting on online until he leaves for the Air Force but Modifying will be done later down the line if.I don't sell it first as Regular system

[​IMG]

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Mmm, not bad, though my one complaint about those entirely transparent PC cases is they can't stand up to holding the sort of hardware that does them justice...

18. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

in terms would be? I wish they would make them with the ps mount at the bottom also and side mounting hard drives

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They don't have anywhere near sufficient cooling capacity to take high powered graphics cards and high-TDP CPUs, or big blocks of hard drives.

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

is this caused by hardware issues?OC,mem,ect or a bad install of XP

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.