1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

100meg switches by their very definition have 100Mbps of bandwidth per port..
    edit- and what Sam said :)

Before i got my tiny 16port switch as it matches with and stacks with my routers ~

[​IMG]

..i used an old D-Link DSL504-T router as a dumb switch (this was my first ADSL router, used it on the river, it was a crap router but was /is 100% stable as a switch) connected to a 5port Linksys switch and a couple 8port Linksys switches (different rooms, i don't have that many connections); you might find a cheapy router on eBay that you can use as a switch..

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Sorry. The very name Switch signifies on/off. Perhaps thats not the best name for the device. Or im simply ignorant...Probably :p

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Think properly :p
    Switch implies:
    Switch on/off
    Switch between

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

And I suppose the power usage of a switch is negligible. So...all i'll have to do is, run the source ethernet signal to the router/switch, and it literally splits it into multiple ports? So for a couple dollars more, I get more ports. Sounds logical to me :)

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yep, exactly what it does. No processing, no lag, no fuss.
    I wouldn't call the power usage negligible, but it's certainly negligible compared to a PC, or even a laptop.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks guys, for steering me down the right path. The wired splitter would probably be more fuss than its worth(Cheap items usually are). And with the switch, I get more bang for my buck :) And it looks like the majority of the buyers are quite pleased.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i'm using a single port router with a 16 port switch in the basement where my cable modem is located. the switch has 2 lines out of it to feed my mother's pc on ground floor & my computer room on 2nd floor. i then have a wireless router connected to that line for my computer plus any computer i might be working on at that time. i'll eventually run another line from the switch upto the 3rd floor were i'm setting up a workshop for computers & modelship building.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

It's in my shopping cart. Im probably gonna buy an LCD Monitor for my mother today. I didn't wanna buy it online, but darn it! Neweggs deals are usually unparalleled. :) I think a 20" 1680 X 1050 will do her nicely. But that really depends on the current deals.

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Hey sam, How can I know that at max resolution, the text is gonna be a decent size without straining? Im thinking the asus should be pretty similar to what I have, but im not certain.

12. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

just change the font size.

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

She currently employs aol, and is unsure how to do that. Windows is one thing, but it does not affect aol. I haven't used aol since 2003-2004 myself...

Her new machine will have windows 7

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  14. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

If you care enough about your mother to purchase a monitor for her, you should DEFINATELY care enough to steer her away from AOL!!! :)

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

ROFL!!! I have damn near begged her to make A switch to ANYTHING else for quite some time now. She fears change...
    I believe I have convinced her recently though. She's gonna get an alternate email address soon, and slowly alert contacts of her new address. Since she sells on ebay its somewhat complex making the switch. She has a lot of contacts!

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

While im thinking of it... I had another odd static discharge(Shocked) recently. I reached for my brothers mouse recently, and the mouse pad shocked me. And I mean shocked me! It made me pull my arm back quickly! Which makes me wonder even more, if a static discharge is what caused my computer to reboot recently. The shock was picked up by the PSU, and caused some kind of restart loop. I wonder if cheap components in the PSU are what it amounts too... As soon as I can, i'll be going for another corsair. This time one of their top dogs, or perhaps that zalman that Sam recommended once upon a time. One things for sure, im not confident of the PSU, that needs to change ;)

17. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Although I am going to stay with my no auto voltage policy, I have heard that auto volts and OC aren't always incompatible (or rather just a bad idea). Still it's so much easier and safer to do things manually I don't see why one would use auto volts.

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ha ha! I knew patience would be worth while. Its not even black friday yet, and newegg is already tempting me :) I just jumped on an early deal for my mothers computer case.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119161
    49.99 marked down to 29.99 is a pretty good deal for what looks like a very respectable case. I'm sure my mother will love it :) I was actually planning on spending slightly more on the case, looks like I can throw the money elsewhere :D

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  19. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Here's my mother's case (and dad's got the same one), ..i haven't got a PS3 but i can vertainly vouch that the case is virtually the same size as an xbox 360. ~

[​IMG]

:)

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Forget the Acer. It has terrible picture quality just like almost all 22" LCD monitors, Compared to the Asus. I would personally recommend the Asus 21.5" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236053 for $149. Much better picture quality than the 22" Acer or the 23.6" Asus, and a much more manageable size on the desktop. I had a 24" monitor here for about a week, and I found it to be somewhat overwhelming. Nice for games and DVDs, but takes up too much real estate for the average desktop. I wear Bifocals, and getting it into a position where I could see everything I needed to see, was difficult because of the huge difference in screen size compared to my 20.1". I've also spent some time with the Asus 21.5", and find it to be a very ideal size for an average computer user's desktop, and the picture quality is about as good as it gets for the price, by a wide margin!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.