1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That URL is for the 22" acer.
    I'd recommend a monitor like my 20" samsung, but Samsung have stopped making 20" 1680x1050 monitors :(

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

well...i'm afraid i've already bought it. I'm sure it will please her nicely. Pretty good savings, good screen size. She's using a 17" Crt guys...anything lcd and larger is gonna blow her mind ;)

Thanks again sam. I bought the Netgear switch. I'm sure it will serve my brother well for years to come :)

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Yes, I see that. The Asus is probably no longer on sale, as it's now Monday. Since it's a hotlink, they just removed it! Having used a number of 22", 21.5" and 24" monitors in place of my 20.1", I can honestly say the the 21'5" 16x9 Asus is an ideal choice for a desktop. The 24" is overwhelmingly large, and I had to move it so far back to the point that text is too far away to see comfortably. Great for DVDs and games, but just too much screen area for doing any kind of work involving text for very long. I know I get a headache just answering a dozen or so emails! The screen quality on almost all the 22" ones suck! Will says that his 16x9 Asus is the best monitor he ever owned, and I know you can't do better for the price. Having used one, and seen the difference, I want one! LOL!!

Russ

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

What gave me the ok on the 23.6 was the fact i'm running a 24, and she says my monitor is a good size. So her monitor will be very similar to mine. Not quite, but similar :) I'm sure she'll be on cloud nine...

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Sam, I finally ran my monitor via Dvi connection. There isn't a huge difference, but there is a certain crispness to being ran properly LOL! I'll watch some video's tonight, and probably be wowed in that repect...as well as gaming :)

6. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I damn near spit out my morning mountain dew seeing the pic of that Dell as I wearily log into my identical Optiplex workstation leased from Dell at my day job. I wanted to post 8 hours ago but funny thing about my internet filter at work...I can browse AD all day long but if I attempt a post the filter kicks in. I understand how and why from a network management standpoint but from the end user standpoint it sucks donkey #^**^!

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I hope you only have nice things to say about the Optiplexes, i love mine :)

Sort of offtopic to the thread, but not really, I have been really buzzed today after reading that some of the crooks in society are finally being outed ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/816315/4934000
    I've been posting about Swine Flu (dangerous vaccinations more than the actual Flu) for weeks now on another site, part and parcel of that stuff is stuff like the Federal Reserve hopefully due to be audited, the destruction of the economy both in the UK and the US, and now the Breathing tax i mean Carbon tax crap that's due to be foisted on us in 17 days at Copenhagen has blown up in the news.

So at the very least, big tv's might not get banned after all..

*edited for spelling*

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  8. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

9. creaky

I don't research those subjects, i've been concentrating on the stuff i mentioned, though i do read a little on those subjects from time to time.

Mine are E6400's, really nice machines, Win7 absolutely flies on them.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Dangerous vaccines? Off-topic, but I'm due to have one wednesday afternoon...

11. creaky

You need to start researching Sam, see post 28 onwards here. Take time to read every bit of post 61, especially the redefinition of a pandemic/the consequences of said redefinition, and the 72kg 'accidental' bird flu/swine flu mixup.
    I've been researching this and the above mentioned topics for about a month or two now; the gist of it is down to the 'adjuvants' in one of two types of vaccine, us mere mortals are supposed to get the adjuvant versions, the elites of society are meant to get a version free of these chemicals. Luckily we've not been earmarked for mandatory vaccinations as yet, i guess this is only really due to the masses not being fooled into there actually being a pandemic, not of the proportions we're being made to believe anyways.

Whilst these topics are incredibly serious they're not within AD's remit so it's been difficult to mention anything even in News articles, hence why i've been posting everything over at the other site.
    Also look up the two/three doses of the vaccination, and also take special note of the phrase 'cytokine storm'. It's all in the thread but there's a hell of a lot of stuff in there so that should sum it up for you. Do some research and make your own conclusions, but i'll say this, look at how little mainstream press the CRU email/document leaks are getting here in the UK and in the US, then ask yourself if you want to trust (inadequately tested) vaccines being pushed on us by those in power, when they've conned all of us for many years re so-called C02 warming. Also take note of the Ukraine flu/plague articles, though it's still difficult to find out enough info on that side of things..

Sorry anyone for the offtopic stuff, it's just that this stuff is way more important than PC building, it needed mentioning sooner rather than later :)

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well that certainly depends on who you are :p

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've not been earmarked for mandatory vaccination, nor have I caught the disease, but I'm in an 'at risk' group being an asthmatic and was strongly recommended to take the vaccine.
    What does concern me a little bit is the only vaccine I have ever had complications from is the only other controversial vaccine - the MMR.

14. creaky

The one aspect of my 4 years on this site that i am proud of is my restraint regards offtopic, so hopefully the fact that i have made these few offtopic posts will illustrate how serious this stuff is/how seriously i take it. :)

All the more reason to read thru some of that stuff then, especially the bits about adjuvants being present in the vaccine to boost immune response (and couple that with the definition of 'cytokine storm' - 1) First totally disable the Immune System. 2) Load every cell of the Victim’s body up with Infection. 3) Switch the Immune System on causing the host to kill themselves in a Cytokine Storm.).
    Mandatory is something the US were threatening the other week, now they've backed off, it will get much more 'scary' once anywhere makes it mandatory; in the US people can be taken away and jailed for refusing it, if they make it mandatory.
    I'm a little too old in years to run around screaming and declaring the 'end is nigh', i've simply spent the last month or two researching and posting things that actually mean something for a change, and people can make their own mind up, far too often the media shovels brainless drivel our way and don't report on the important issues, hence why i've taken up the baton so to speak. Plus there's post 21 onwards by me in here.
    Lastly, i forgot to mention that the pharmaceutical companies have "can't sue me" clauses, they are completely untouchable if anyone is damaged by these untested 'vaccines' - that alone should get peoples' spidey senses tingling..

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    We could always infect you with the Swine Flu, and you could find out for yourself. :) I think that would shift your thinking a tiny bit! LOL!! When it's your life that's at stake, it's a bit different! Don't know too many dead people doing the latest builds. I do know a few guys that snort or fart once in a while, just to let us know they ain't dead yet! PC building is way down the list in the pecking order of life! :)

Russ

16. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I can argue that. My 22" is the exact same model and the picture quality is quite good. Not quite like my 24", but it would certainly perform well for gaming and movies. And through DVI, the image clarity is slightly above average. I understand that the higher pixel density monitors will be better but don't say it's terrible because that is something that is judged by personal preference. I just think I would know, considering I used my Dell 2407wfp 24" at 1920 x 1200 a few years before I ever got the Acer. And while it wasn't quite as sharp I was still somewhat impressed for the price.

Haha yes it was overwhelming for me at first too. It took me quite a while to get used to it. Though once I did I couldn't use anything else for a while because it seemed too small and fuzzy. I've finally reached a middle ground on my tolerances though. Anything half way decent is fine for me.

17. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

That is correct...it is just a splitter...It would not allow simultaneous network connections!!!

For that you need a router or switch...So the splitter will not do what you want...go the multi-port router or switch idea to have simultaneous connectivity...

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Maybe I could have chosen a better word than terrible, but your last line says it all. It isn't quite as sharp! Virtually all 22" monitors have a 1680x1050 resolution. There are a couple of 1920x1080 ones, but they don't seem to stay around very long. What looks very good on my 20", looks rather flat on a 22". I've had a number of 22"s side by side with my 20" and the difference is very noticeable! Small wonder with a 0.243mm pixel pitch vs the 0.282mm of most 22" monitors. I'm not saying they look bad, but they do lack the LifeLike look of the 20" at the same resolution. That's why I like the Asus 21.6" 16x9. 0.248 Pixel pitch at 1920x1080. They are as good as it gets at that price!

Russ

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks LP :) I just bought a netgear switch :D

I don't worry about disease or infection. I think im related to Wolverine LOL! Serious...I haven't been sick in over a decade. I don't need to knock on wood either. I do understand however where you guys are coming from. I'm sure there are infections/diseases out there that would kick my butt. E.g. aids, cancer, Ebola, Swine Flu...

I really should watch the news, or at least set my homepage for MSN or something posting breaking news...

20. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.