1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

When I've bought drives from UK places there's been a big box with some air filled 'cushions' then a cardboard tube with a cricket pad shaped 'lilo' folded in half then a touch of plastic around the actual drive.

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Do you mean Bubble Wrap?

3. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

Think bigger lol if I meant bubble-wrap I'd of said bubble wrap :) they're about the size of ermmmm..... hmmm.... A toddlers shoe!

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Obviously I have to be tactful given that you work for them, but I've heard plenty of stories and to be honest, the courier industry as a whole is generally a dismal unregulated hellhole.(At least, in the UK, but I don't hear it's much different in the US) What it comes down to is that a company that employs so many sorters and drivers can't really police them all very well, and thus they do their job as well or as badly as they please. People who care about their work (I'm sure like yourself) will put effort into ensuring someone's delivery arrives intact and on time, but far too many courier employees couldn't care less and thus a vast number of items get damaged, lost, or arrive when the delivery driver can be bothered, or when you ring the company to find out why you waited home all day for nothing.
    As for HDDs being meant to be strong, they aren't, hence why it says 'FRAGILE' on the box for them (or at least it should, if not I see why so many of them are getting damaged in the post).

Keith: You mean air-filled packaging pillows.
    [​IMG]

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

still along the lines of bubble wrap, just fewer bubbles as they are bigger. had some as packing for some of the model warships i bought from ebay.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well, you nailed it. I do see the occasional disgruntled employee mistreating packages. It's fairly rare, but it does happen. Its a pretty stressful job. And then there are those, that like you said, "Do their job as they see fit". Its truly unfortunate. I try to have empathy even when im angry myself ;) Obviously I can have some empathy, given my side profession :D

On another note, I just received the 23.6" asus monitor. Will post about its no doubt beautiful picture soon :D

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Asus VH242H 23.6" Monitor:

Looks like they've jacked the price back up 20$ now. I suppose its worth it. The picture is very simlar to my Samsung 24" 2433BW. Pretty bright, No dead pixels(Unlike my samsung which has one), Even 1024 x 768 mode looks pretty clear(DVI cable). I thought it had 3 dead pixels right off the bat. They looked perfectly square when I got close to them. But a can of air spray took care of them right quickly ;) Probably don't wanna set it above your head. Viewing angle doesn't look right from underneath. All in all, it was a very wise purchase. Saved money, got a larger monitor than I bargained for at less cost then I planned, Picture quality is excellent for someone browsing the web, or performing basic everday tasks. My mother is gonna be on cloud nine when she looks at it! :D

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Wait until you see a 1080p movie on it! LOL!! You'll see why I'm laughing when you do. It's an awesome picture!

Russ

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Having compared the two, I still prefer 24" 1920x1200 monitors. Sadly they tend to be a little more expensive.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Can I ask what the hell is the matter with you. I don't know if your comments were for me or Oman7. Either way it's another of many meaningless posts. Who the hell cares what you prefer? You aren't very encouraging when it comes to something that doesn't meet your standards, but what does it have to do with Oman7's or my Post!\? If I was him, I might feel like I made a mistake, which I can tell you first hand, he did not!

I'm going to say this, and it's not out Of any meanness. Maybe you don't even realize it, but you talk down to people, and it gets worse every time you get something bigger and better. You project this superior attitude. I'm glad you have the funds to do as you please, but please stop rubbing it in our noses! You didn't even give Oman7 the courtesy of telling him what you thought of his purchase! You prefer the higher end 24" 1920x1200 moniotors, but what does that have to do with either Oman7's or my post? You need to adjust your attitude down a notch or two!

Russ

11. ddp

russ, i agree on your comment. each to their own likes & dislikes.

12. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

I have the ASUS MK241H w/ 1920x1200.I use it as my main monitor and watch mostly all movies on it. Chris I'm sure you're gonna love it.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Excuse me? So opinion is suddenly banned? I dread to think how many of my posts you report to the mods given how often they show up every time you're not happy about something harmless I wrote. After all the heated discussions in the AMD thread it surprises me that you've picked on a comment that was completely innocuous. Did I say 1080 monitors were bad?
    The reason why I brought up the comment about 1920x1200 monitors is because of "The picture is very simlar to my Samsung 24" 2433BW" which low and behold, means he already owns a 1920x1200 monitor. I figured since he had both I'd be allowed to comment on what I'd personally prefer, who knows, maybe we could have had a nice discussion on it. Sadly, you came along to ruin it, once again.
    I "talk down" to people. How many? I'll be honest, I only ever feel I'm 'talking down' to you, because it is such an absolute chore to post in a thread that you're involved in. It takes 5 pages, a dozen arguments and thousands upon thousands of words just for you to interpret something I've written correctly, no matter how simple it is. Every time a moderator pops up to tweet in your favour and against me, I don't consider it the slightest bit coincidental. I'm pleased you find the confidence to just drag in mods when you feel like it. Doesn't exactly make trying to have a perfectly innocent conversation any easier though, does it?
    You wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) disagree that you can get quite excitable with your posts, at least that's what dozens of exclamation marks, LOLs and so on suggest. There's nothing wrong with that, but I do think that amidst your excitement you really don't consider what people are actually writing, at least certainly not in my case. Maybe once in 10 of my posts will you actually understand what I've written correctly. It doesn't seem to happen with many other people.
    This I do find interesting. Essentially nothing of my system has changed in the last 7-8 months, which I daresay is a lot longer than the last few upgrades you've given your own system. The same goes for our budding enthusiasts Will and Rob. They, alongside you and me like experimenting with PC hardware. Since I don't yet have a family to look after, a full-time job or much else to spend money on, why not?
    You're almost certainly lot richer than I am, I just spend more of what I have on PC hardware. That doesn't give me the right to pick on those who don't spend as much - it's not 'I'm richer than you' because I'm about as poor as it gets around here. Also, I would never be so plainly rude even if I were. Every time I'm annoyed by yet another post completely misread, it goes almost unnoticed, or ignored, yet periodically, I can post something completely ordinary, and out of nowhere comes a backlash like this. Surely that inconsistency suggests something?
    I'm asking politely, for the next few discussions, please take a bit of time to read through my posts a couple more times. Are you sure what you think I meant is what I actually meant?

14. ddp

sam, we are all different in that we hear different sounds & we see differently besides other things. what might not look or sound good for 1 person, sounds or looks perfect to another so just leave it at that.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm fine with that, nor was I suggesting otherwise. That was kind of my point.

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm not insulted. Everyone has their own opinion. Like sam said, the 16:10 (1920 X 1200) monitors tend to cost a little more. The Asus 16:9 was a VERY good buy. How could I pass that up? Besides, it's not for me :p I generally do try to stick with the 16:10 resolutions. And i'll have another come February/March, When I buy a 30" 2560 X 1600. I'm drooling just talking about it :)

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I do not generally run to any Mods, although I did one time! It was either that or get a lifetime ban! I've finally come to realize that you are one of those people who just has to have the last word!

BTW! Why is it that you are the only one who doesn't understand what I post? No one else has ever complained that they couldn't understand me, in any forum I ever belonged to. Just You!

This i5 discussion we had should have ended with my 22:44 post on the 25th. It was done and didn't require a response, and you wouldn't let it stay that way! I don't think I could have been nicer in my post, and there was no argument, but just what I would do for my own build, and why! Why you want to argue over things like how much memory people have around, is pointless to me! Good Lord, half the people on this thread have at least 2 sets of memory, some have even more. I have 4 sets, myself, so 2 sets are spares! That and the SLI license, which I already knew about. Then you were going to make charts! Charts to show us how much better the Core i5 is? We already know that! It's the way it always is. it's lame crap, meaningful to no one! I mean, who cares? So we go through 4 pages of junk and all sorts of off topic stuff, and the thread gets disrupted! We just don't need it!

Russ

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

So, greensman, hows life? havent heard from you in a while!

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok guys rounds 26 with me and this gigabyte board.
    i have a new install of windows on my hdd no biggie. i shut the puter down to change the fan speed on the antec tricool fans i have. i go to restart the board and it takes forever for the gigabyte logo to load, then the same amount of time for it to verify dma pool then it ask for boot disc???
    so i figured bad restart or something so i restart it and go into bios.. it dont show any of my hdd and only my ide odd. nothing sata showing up/ so ive been fiddleing with just 1 drive at a time to see which port will work. i only have this 1 drive plugged in on the sata 00 port nothing else pluged into board. so is this sata controler/panel going bad too??? wtf is it with gigabyte and there sata connectors... second one on this board??? any ideas?
    im going to shut it down again and see if i can add another drive.

20. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

rob, have you tried using differnt sata cables? maybe try taking that fan out and see if it works then, OR try restting CMOS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.